So. The wife and I are moving to Nashville in 2 weeks. Not sure how to feel.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boo, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yeah, so my wife got a teaching job in southern Nashville. To make a long story short - She applied on a Thursday, they called her on Monday, we drove down on Tuesday, she was interviewed and offered the job on Wednesday. Craziness. (This was all last week, BTW.)

She just graduated with her Masters in Special Education at the beginning of June. It was a 1-year program that she decided to do after working a few years in a dead-end job at a local Kindercare. We made a ton of sacrifices in order for her to go back to school, not the least of which was having to move in with her parents since she'd have to quit her job. My job sucks, so... Vic's been looking for jobs here in the Cleveland area since before she even graduated, but with all the political and economic crap that's been going on here lately there's very few teaching jobs to be had. So after four months of nothing, and after visiting some friends down in the area (one of which is a high school science teacher) and seeing how plentiful the jobs were she applied. Didn't want to, everything and everybody we know is up here, but y'know... gotta go where the jobs are.

So yeah. 2 weeks are all we have. We have to be there by August 3rd. School starts the 11th, but there's a bunch of meetings and stuff she has to go through first. Not much time to get things done up here, and we don't have any money saved because of how tough things have been. Still don't like the idea of leaving our family and our church friends either... but at the same time I'm really excited!

2. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude, I believe you and your wife will really like it in the Nashville area, even if it's only for the milder winters. :D 
    You get more bang for your housing buck and fewer taxes too. Plus, so far at least, still no state income tax..so it's a little like getting a raise.
    I've had several friends from Cleveland who visit TN and love, I think you guys will be fine.
    Good luck and congrats on the job!!

We're friendly in TN too!! :D 

3. Boo

Ebay:
    We've only been there for a grand total of 6 days (three days visiting friends a few weeks ago, and 3 days staying with those same friends for Victoria's interview) and I already really like the area. Haven't been into downtown Nashville or anything, but been to Franklin, Murfreesboro, and Brentwood and everything seems real nice. And all the people we've spoken to have been great!

I think we're really going to like the area, and of course the being out on our own again. Just going to be really hard getting over leaving all our family and friends behind. Our church especially, we've really formed great bonds with the people there.

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Glad to hear that she was able to find work. I'm sure that once the dust settles you guys will be very happy. Good luck!

5. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Ooooh, TFWs for me to stalk.....JK hope you like it there.

6. Stormcrow

Stormcrow Well-Known Member

Nashville is a very fun and exciting city, but the traffic is terrible.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nashville>Cleveland

At least you'll no longer have to listen to whiny sports radio hosts complain about LeBron leaving the beloved, albeit shitty, Cavaliers.
    :) 

Seriously though, Nashville is a great area. You and your family will love it.

8. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As for churches, you should be able to find some decent ones in Nashville. My wife and I have though of moving to that area as well, though for now, we're staying here and letting my parents enjoy their granddaughters, and vice-versa.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It is what it is, man. Sad truth of today's world is that most people aren't able to stay where they want to, and have to go where the work is. You've got the right attitude about it, and while it does mean leaving some people behind, at least there's some balm in today's world affording us the ability to better stay in touch with the people we care about, but can't see on a daily basis. It's not the same, but it's something.

I guess all you can do is view this as the opportunity it is, not only for your wife's career, but to meet new people, see new places, and start a new life for you and your family. Good luck with the move, man.

10. Boo

Ebay:
    We already have had a few suggestions for churches to look at. The pastor of one of them is a friend of our current pastor and fellow graduate of the Master's Seminary with him. Oh yeah, and this pastor's name is Boo.:D  Finding a good church shouldn't be too big a problem, but the relationships with our core group of friends here is going to be impossible to duplicate. Thank goodness for webcams and Skype!

The more I keep thinking about it, the more excited I do get, though. Just so many things to iron out first. Victoria has to get her teaching license transferred from Ohio to Tennessee, we still have to secure our apartment down there, and pack up... so much to think of!

11. Strikefoil

Strikefoil Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wouldnt mind visiting Nashville. I have family that lives out there. I wouldnt want to live there. Fyi if the New Madrid fault line goes off like it did in the 1800s you will feel it.

12. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

this.

unfortunately in my case as well.

13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Haven't been to Nashville in years, but my best friend lived there and so did my sister, so I took advantage of the opportunity to visit. Awesome town, I'd go back there anytime.

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lol 

Looks at your location..and you'll feel it too, not to worry!

Most every region of the USA has some kind of natural drawbacks, whether earthquakes, tornadoes, etc. Just gotta roll with it and enjoy where you are for as long as you live. :thumb 

15. Strikefoil

Strikefoil Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    We have had a few close calls with tornados this year. I am sure we would feel the earthquakes but not as much as Nashville.

16. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep where I live we have hurricanes. Anyway, speaking of Tennessee, I will probably go up to Gatlinburg around the end of September to spend five days there.

17. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    At least you get an upgrade in the hockey team department!

18. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ha ha! You think Tennessee has teaching standards!