So the Cybertronian military enlists janitors?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by unicronsupreme, Apr 19, 2008.

1. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    The "main crew" of Autobots are all maintenance bots, yet they're apparently military also. So does the Autobot military employ janitor-bots? Are all Autobots in the military? Any theories?

2. Legless Pete

Legless Pete Chairman Kaga

The way I see it, all transformers receive basic training at autobot boot camp- as evidenced by the episode where Bumblebee and Bulkhead have a flashback to their time then. I'm not sure if Prowl's metallikato training is military or something he did on his own, but presumably he's a civilian. Ratchet's the only one who has seen combat and Optimus is the only one who has received any actual advanced training, I suppose Autobot Academy is like the Navy Seals or Marines or something, whereas Bumblebee and Bulkhead would've just been rank and file soldiers.

I'd venture to say that there's a draft on cybertron, but since it's a time of relative peace most people who go to bootcamp go back to civilian roles.

3. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Did I miss this flashback? Which episode was it in?

4. Legless Pete

The flashback to autobot bootcamp is in episode 25, "Autoboot Camp", which hasn't aired yet, though we see flashbacks to both Prime's time in Autobot Academy (In "Along Came a Spider") and Ratchet's military service (in "Thrill of the Hunt").

5. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Prowl saluted Ultra Magnus with everyone else, which I would take to be evidence of his enlistment. He also has military-esque chevrons on his arms.

6. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they were academy glitchheads that were too clumsy for their own good - like Invader Zim. Like Zim, they were probably 'banished' and relegated to basic labor.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

well it seems that "prime" is an officer ranking. so the academy, reflects more of our military's officer academy training, more then it does reflect the navy seals.

how ever, the elite guard, seems to be more of the special forces, too. with magnus being maybe the top military general? like a 5 star? or like army/navy chief of staff?

is there some one above him? i don't know.

but it seems to me, that the autobot "crew" is military, they're just enlisted, but they are not combat troops.

i assume that prime is like a captain in the us army, while ratchet, is just an enlisted man? how ever he COULD possibly be an officer too. not sure.

but IF they have a military, chances are on cybertron they have civilians.

which means they probably have janitors lol

how ever are all cybertronians called autobots? *other then the cons?* is a big question too, are autobots only what the military's called, maybe?

8. Legless Pete

All the decepticons were kicked off of Cybertron, so anyone from Cybertron would be an autobot.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I view them more like the Army corps of engineers, or the guys that run supply lines and the like. They're all military, just with different duty. In the Autobots' case, there's some kind of meritocracy going on, where 'bots not up to some given standard are assigned to maintenance units. Given various bits of dialog, none of the main crew are civilians, though it's not impossible (to give an example, my Father was a civilian engineer working for the Air Force - not military, but worked closely with them all the time)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  10. jon

jon That dude from the forest

News Credits:
    Yeah what Feralstorm said. Maintenance is just their job. I mean I'm in the Marines and my job is Radio Maintenance. So Space Bridge Maintenance doesn't seem to odd.

11. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus is called the "Autobot Supreme Commander"
    Which is the rank Optimus Prime holds in most other series.
    So it's pretty safe to sat that Ultra Magnus is the big kahuna of cybertron.

12. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

There might still be a civilian grand poobah, like perhaps Alpha Trion. :) 

13. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

yeah tht sums it up right there.

14. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Actully they said in the elite guard that there is a training class for ninja bots Jazz said to prowl who was in aw in a move jazz perform and he said something like "Never got that far in ninja class"Or something like that.

15. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    he said Ninja training.
    which doesn't necessarily mean a class.
    Could be a master-apprentice deal, or maybe Prowl is self taught.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Many, if not all, militaries have maintenance and transport types. I figured they went through Basic, and then went on to be just combat support, never expected to see actual battle.

Plus, in peacetime, the military has to maintain its numbers, but obviously won't have as many legitimate soldiers.
    I don't think the Navy Seal or the Marines so much as the equivalent of the service academies the US military has. Where we train not bad-ass soldiers, but leaders for the next generation. Graduates are often expected to have more successful careers than their non-Academy peers, so Optimus' path would be a bit dissappointing.

17. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    I don't know but I think it is.

18. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    Ratchet's almost certainly "enlisted" - he didn't go to the Academy, and there are comments by himself in Thrill of the Hunt & SP in Elite Guard that pretty much confirm it.

19. T-money

T-money Cake is good

News Credits:
    This is exactly the way I see it. Cyberton has seen peace for a long period and this particular group has been assigned space bridge maintenance duty.

20. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

It hasn't aired yet.