So TFcon...

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Torque, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    What is it? Worth going to? Only convention I've ever been to is NYCC a few times, trying to get a feel for what to expect and see if it'll be worth the 9 hour drive and of course the $$.

So any fun stories to tell? Cool stuff? Please, tell me all about it :D 

2. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    TFcon is the best con. It is a weekend of stupendous awesomeness filled with bavarian cream. TFcon is a party deep in your very soul. It's awesome-frosted excellence cake served with a side of perfection. You want to come, just so one day you can tell your future grandkids that you were part of it. And they will stare at you in awe and bask in the divine afterglow of TFcon that you WILL STILL HAVE because once it has touched you, TFcon never leaves you. There is no shower on earth powerful enough to scrub the glorious funk of TFcon from your physical form.

3. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    You......... your joking right.

How about this. Our dealer room has more dealers then Botcon 2012.

Good enough?

or........ what Peaugh said.

4. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Also you can get poutine.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I've only been once.
    Quality exclusive toy.
    Fun and friendly: Toronto is a nice town.
    Great dealer room, I've seen things there I never thought I'd get a chance to see in person.
    Nice atmosphere, fun for hardcore collectors, kids and just general interest.
    Good conference sessions: I enjoyed the guest speakers more than I thought I would.
    I've never been to the other big TF conventions, but this is a quality show and lots of fun.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The atmosphere at TFcon is completely different from other cons that I've been to (especially Botcon), and I don't mean in terms of nerd-funk. It's well worth going, if you can make the trip.

7. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    If your really not sure, just take a look for yourself. (insert shameless YT channel plug)
    TFCon's past - YouTube

8. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    Can't wait to get up there for my second time! :D 

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Went to one, it was effing great. Even a socially awkward guy like me who brought his own friends got to do some serious bonding, both with fellow fans and with writers/voice actors.

If you have time and money, it's just going to be a hell of a lot of fun.

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    You had me at Bavarian Cream.

Only one question-What's up with friday? TFcon's site says it starts then, but doesnt list any events or anything like that. Something about tickets? Can someone explain?

EDIT::Ok, 2 questions-Price of food? Anyone?

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    If it's like previous years, Friday is usually informal social events, like the parts party, maybe some small panels, and an opportunity for registration and exclusive pickup (so you don't have to do it on saturday morning).

Price of food? In general, more expensive than the states, but not hugely so. Lunch at a standard fast food place runs around 10-12 bucks. At the hotel? More, because hotel food is always more expensive no matter where you go. If you have access to a car there's plenty to eat in the area though.

Have you been to Canada before?

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I have not-first time. Well, my mom went to Niagra falls when pregnant with me, but I dunno if that counts lol

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    For the purposes of this thread, I will conclude that no, it does not.

As to what you need to know...
    Uhh...

Make sure your passport and such are up-to-date
    Be aware of how much stuff you can legally bring back duty-free, as well as what things are not allowed across the border (meat and produce, for example).
    Plan in advance for as much as possible, especially if you're driving. The border takes time, you'll need to stop for food and gas and such during your drive, etc. Gas is a shit-ton cheaper in the states. So are smokes. So is booze.
    You may find it easier to exchange your cash for Canadian money before you come. Be aware of the exchange rate because all prices are going to be in $CAN, not $US. You may find it easier in the long run to bring as much cash as you think you'll need, though hotels and restaurants take credit and debit cards as well (dealers often will not, however, and cash speeds things up). ATMs are not hard to find, but you may think it's inconvenient or not want to deal with user fees.
    Pretty much everything is listed in english AND french. Don't get freaked out, pretty much everyone in ontario speaks english exclusively (except for recent immigrants who speak various other languages and english).
    Canadian bacon is called back bacon or peameal bacon here.
    Numerous chains, brands and franchises, such as Target, Orbit Gum, Waffle House, IHOP, Big Boy, Chili's, Cookie Crisp cereal, etc. effectively do not exist in Canada. Target is coming soon though.
    Prices for things are given, and there is a 13% sales tax added on top of that given price. Some dealers will charge tax (generally ones running a business), others may not.

The convention is in mississauga, there's a restaurant inside of it, and some others close by, but other than that, depends on what you want to have, since you have a car. What do you like to eat? Streetsville isn't too far, it's a nice little neighbourhood that likely has a fancy restaurant or two. I know some good sushi places and a fantastic french-canadian restaurant, but they're much farther away, close to downtown Toronto. It really depends on what you want to have and how far you're willing to drive.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=resta...rants&t=h&z=15

Here's some nearby.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  14. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Yeah, figured that might not count. And I'm all over that one :thumb 

Good to keep in mind

Gas is likely to be the only thing I'll end up having to pay for, given that i don't wanna miss a thing through innebriation and my lungs dont handle smoke. Sucks about the gas though. How much per gallon?

I'd been wondering about that... hmm, gonna need to find a place to get $CAN, probably the same place I got that Italian currency when I went to Italy

Phew! Only know Spanish and a smidge of Italian

So how do I get regular bacon?

No Target?! :cry  so where do you guys buy your Transformers?

13%?! Damn, CT is like 6%. good to know though

I'm mostly a pizza guy, though was thinking of just bringing a bunch of sandwich stuff with me to save on $$. and by sandwich stuff I mean Bread and peanut butter. If this were any other vacation, I'd be all over trying the local stuff, but the family is planning a Disney trip and I can only spend so much this trip lol. A good link to have though, thanks :thumb 

Also, separate question-what do dealers usually have/charge? Just trying to get a feel for things if I want to get more toys than just Shafter lol.

15. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
  16. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
  17. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Sure did at TRU.

They had tons of the RTS Voyager Lugnut - Grapple - Strafe wave....and plenty more....had never seen Lugnut or the other two in the wild til I went there.

18. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    cool, will keep that in mind :thumb 

wow, I'm keeping a lot of things in mind, huh lol

19. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Gas in Canada is sold by the Liter. I went to a gas price site, and it's ranging between $1.17 and 1.29 CDN per Liter in the Toronto area. 1 gallon [US, liquid] = 3.785411784 liter. So fill up your tank completely before you cross the border, that way you'll pay less.

In Mississauga it's running at about $1.258 per liter right now. That's, around $4.77 a gallon right now.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  20. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    ouch-but handy to know. Def. gonna fill up before leaving.