So. Soundwave.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aledromo, Oct 4, 2012.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere, but I'm new to the MP scene, relatively.

I saw the MP Soundwave coming out, and thought: that's really nice looking, but in some ways not too different from the original G1 transformation (hard to improve on perfection) and the price is kind of high. I'll wait to see if it comes to the US.

Then, oddly, seeing more cost heaped on in the form of MP cassettes makes me want him more. I guess I'm kind of spooked that even if we do get him, the cassettes may not make their way over.

So basically, can someone here please talk me into or out of buying all of these guys? I just splurged on MP 11 and 11S, so money's tight. But if the aftermarket is going to be MP Grimlock then maybe it's worth it. Anyway, your move, forum. Thanks.

2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

If you had a time machine, I'd say don't buy MP-11S because you knew Soundwave was coming. Since you don't, get Soundwave now because aftermarket will be even more nuts than retail. I just got hit for $250 on a MIB MP7 Thundercracker because I was stupid and kept putting him off until he was sold out everywhere.

3. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

... well if you just splurged on a mold that you know is coming to US, why not splurge on one that isn't as sure?

Some people firmly believe we're getting Soundwave. I'm not as optimistic, because of his alt-mode. It's tough enough to get retailers to stock MPs and such ridiculously high-end items. It's also tough to get Hasbro to release a figure with an alt-mode that isn't a jet, car, or maybe a tank.

I just am not comfortable in assuming that we're going to get Soundwave here, so I'm playing it safe and importing it. I mean, either way I'll be getting it at least year early which is pretty awesome (I mean, consider how much people spend to get prototypes and leaked samples early... they're willing to drop 500% markup on those just to get them a couple months early).

That said, if we do get Soundwave, I'd bet we're getting the cassettes. My problem is that's a BIG if.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

If you want it badly enough, buy it.

But since money's tight for you, I'd actually suggest selling your MP Sunstorm since it's technically a redundancy in your MP collection. Selling that will free up the funds to buy something entirely different.

5. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Wait, it is?

Good plan. I actually picked him up as part of a two pack with this in mind since I love my iGear Sunstorm. I thought it would be to eventually offset the cost of MP11. Never expected to do it so soon, but it might be worthwhile.

6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

The MP-11 mold is out on shelves now as Thundercracker.

7. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    buy it you know you want to

8. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    If you want MP Soundwave and all the cassettes, you might want to go with Takara.

I can see them doing more cassettes total than Hasbro (at least more decos, Hasbro will likely bring over each mold).

At the same time, Hasbro might pack different cassettes together (like soundwave could come with Ravage, etc), so you might have a hard time getting them all without splitting packs and/or buying a cassette twice.

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing taht is tough is not knowing if/when Soundwave will come and what he'll be packed with.

I have a seriously hard time thinking that Hasbro will release separate cassette packs - I just don't see that happening. But they could mix and match the included cassettes and just call it a day. Like ditching some of teh Japan accessories and giving us the Big 3 (Laserbeak, Ravage and Blue Rumble).

Honestly, I'd be great with that but not knowing is tough and I def want the big lug.

10. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I too wouldn't count on Soundwave coming Stateside via Hasbro (alt modes and all that). Even if he did, it'd be the MP Thundercracker distribution/scalper debacle all over again, but worse (Soundwave is a much more iconic and popular character than Thundercracker). I'd say get him while the getting's good because he won't be any cheaper than this. I expect his prices to go up quite a bit on the aftermarket, myself. Just look at MP-11 Starscream. Sold out everywhere and his price creeped up on the aftermarket.

11. JackJJW

JackJJW Well-Known Member

I'm going with Takara. My only worry with that is that Takara's paint just comes off. Those tape decos look like they're going to get scraped to bits :( 

12. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

if i were you unless i was in love with the sunstorm character, i'd sell the mp-11s (even at a decent loss) because soundwave is just going to be that much more awesome. use the funds from that to partially fund soundwave and his mini battallion of minions. i don't ever want to be at the mercy of hasbro if i know i can spend a bit more and get exactly waht it is that i want. sure you can wait it out and it may be worth it (mp prime mp-10 hasbro i'd say is no worse/no better/just differnt than takara's, and who could forget grimlock!?), but if 50 bucks here or there doesn't matter much...just go takara. nicer packaging too usually.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Dollars to donuts, Soundwave will come to the US as a TRU exclusive, retailing at a price similar to the Hasbro MP-10. It'll likely include one of the cassettes. Of those cassettes, it'll be one of the core four. However, what I do doubt is that Hasbro will release a separate set of cassettes. I like to think that they'd want to keep the price tag low (for domestic MP's), which is why I can't see it going any higher than the Hasbro MP-10 price point.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  14. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I totally agree with this.

And can you imagine the fan outrage if it isn't Laserbeak?

15. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

DON'T miss out on MP Soundwave whatever you do. It's gonna be a hot item and it could be just as bad as MP Grimlock in aftermarket prices.

16. HomebrewJet

HomebrewJet Well-Known Member

You got a couple of months to save up, I like my MP11S and all, but would rather have Masterpiece soundwave and whatever MP Cassettes come out.