so should i buy optimus prime. if so, is this the right version?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by pactron, Jan 6, 2011.

1. pactron

pactron Well-Known Member

TRANSFORMERS Leader Class: OPTIMUS PRIME : Target

could someone tell me if this is the best version of optimus prime to buy for myself (i'm an adult looking for a challenging puzzle). i was set to buy it but noticed some comments on that page telling how some 5 and 7 year olds had no problems w/ transforming them. 50 bucks is a lot of cash to me, so i'd appreciate some advice a whole lot. thanks!

2. pactron

i heard some complaints about the HFTD series optimus prime. i'm guessing this one is a ROTF version but i'm not sure. even if it is a ROTF, i don't know if that means it's challenging enough to buy it. i need some opinions :) 

3. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's the ROTF version, if your new to Transformers (Transforming them anyway) you will probably find this figure a fun challenge. IMHO it's worth the money,(I have two of 'em)

4. pactron

i read somewhere that autobots are fairly easy to transform. i just noticed this target leader optimus prime has autobot on the front of the package. also, the front of the package advertises a HFTD code on the front, so i'm guessing this figure is that movie's version, which it seems like i read somewhere on this forum about that movie version not being as good overall in comparison to the ROTF version. am i making any sense?

5. pactron

oh, ok, necro, thanks for the advice and for clearing up what version that is. i remember reading some posts on here pointing to the ROTF leeder Opt Prime as the best and most challenging leeder/masterpiece figure to get. so i think i'll get it instead of jetfire, starscream and the others.

6. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    Before you get it, if it isn't already to late, remember there is hftd battle blades optimus, the smaller improved version.

7. Cliffbee

Cliffbee Well-Known Member

How is Battle Blades Optimus improved? I have both ROTF Leader OP and BB OP, and while both are cool, I still prefer Leader OP.

8. pactron

it isn't to late yet/i haven't bought either yet. i noticed the BB voyager recently. that's the one you're referring to, right? i was told that conversion ratings aren't always accurate but BB voyager had a 4, i think, and ROTF OP has a 5. mainly though, i guessed the bigger one (the leader class) would be more of a challenge than the smaller voyager. i figured there would be more steps to transforming the leader. i could be wrong, of course. any opinions?

does anyone have both of them for an accurate comparison on which is more challenging to transform? thanks.

9. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

If you have the money, import Buster Optimus Prime. That thing is gorgeous.

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    And if you still have money left after that, just send it my way.

11. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

If challenge is your main goal, then you should go for Leader Prime. I would recommend getting the actual ROTF Leader Prime (in the red box) and not the HFTD Leader Prime (yellow box) just because the HFTD version has the crappy "battle damage" paint scheme. Of course, it's all about your own preference in terms of the deco...

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I agree with Nightwind. Since you're looking for a challenge, definitely go with the Leader version, and not that the HFTD version (gold box) is bad, but the RoTF (red box) version has the swords instead of hooks and no battle damage. If there's a Toys R Us near you, call them and see if they have any.. mine still have plenty.

The Voyager BB Prime is my favorite movie Prime, but mainly because I don't like the giant figures as much. Leader Prime is a great toy (battle damage or not) though.

13. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    In my opinion Buster Prime was the best Prime figure ever made so if you have the money go for it he is my most prized transformer.

Thanks Toyarena

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    RE: parent/buyer comments...
    don't fall for the exaggerations. Especially if a parent is commenting that "my MIT Graduate at age 2 transformed him in 2 seconds and got bored."

find the middle ground or just search the Feedback thread on Ldr RotF Prime. ballpark figures here...but about 75% of folks who have that mold will tell ya, it will keep you occupied for some time.
    For the price, it's a good buy. but if ya got the money, go for Buster Prime.

FYI, i have never and will never ever successfully transform this figure. HE scares me. lol

15. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Go for the Buster Prime - try ebay, it was released at retail in Asian markets (ie wasn't just a Japan only thing)

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    he's a challenge, but i find him more annoying with the flip out blades than anything, mp megatron is also a good challenge, but you'd want to follow the instructions the first time with him not to break it

17. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Search:

Takara ROTF Buster Optimus Prime

THE BEST movie Prime.

Ever.

18. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Correction,

Buster Optimus Prime is a Japanese release.

Buster Optimus and Jetfire boxset is an Asian release(Japan didn't get it.).

19. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    why are people recommending 100+ dollar toy when he said 50 was alot of money for him? and on top of that he sounds like a casual collector. Leader prime is awesome, if you can find him get the one with the straight swords....the "battle damage" on the one with the orange hooks is pretty weak

20. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Because people expect non-hardcore TF fans to have the same preferences as longtime fannerds.