So Sentinel is alive already in the spaceship?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tr4nce, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    I was looking at this FX reel that Michael Bay put up on his Vimeo account, and I was was watching the bit from 00:57 to about 1:04. You can clearly see that Sentinel is throwing away or releasing that 'pod' from his hand on purpose. Look at his left hand.

What does this mean?

Link: Transformers' Oscars VFX Reel on Vimeo

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

He's doing nothing of the sort. The Pillar is rising out of his hand, causing the hand to move and fall away to the side easily and limply, which makes sense considering how dead Sentinel is at the time. If you notice, the four OTHER pillars all rise up on their own around Sentinel, with the Control Pillar rising to their level in the middle since they're all connected or somesuch.

3. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    ^ Agreed.

I thought this was gonna be a thread about the contradiction of showing his eye light up and all that activity in his head after Neil and Buzz leave even though he's CLEARLY supposed to have been completely deactivated and still in stasis the entire time.

I know it's just for the opening title sequence, but it's still confusing and mildly irksome, damnit.

:-\

4. vatarian

vatarian SPIDER8ITCH

herpdederp. That is all.

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Undeniably this. Granted, you could argue that Sentinel was sort of functioning/aware of his surroundings (the opening eye shot, the whole plan-thing, whatever), but the pillar floating out of his hand has nothing to do with it. It floats out of his hand, causing his hand to slump to the side. Nothing more.

6. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Agreed

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Dead things still move if something else makes them, in this case the Pillar rising up with the others as the Pillars are shown clearly to do. Something being dead doesn't mean physics don't apply to it.

I'm surprised you didn't question why there was a Transformers logo in his eye.

I thought spam was against the rules?

8. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    He's alive, just in stasis lock, or a "sleep mode" as Lennox called it.

9. Stockade187

Stockade187 Decepticon Junkie

It's lime a coma basically but the pillars made his hands move. Bay put all the eye stuff in to see if you'd catch it.....great job!

10. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I just wanted to mention that it was nice to see the whole "stasis lock" thing used well, finally.

The way they used it in the novelization of TF:RotF and, presumably, early drafts of the scriptment, was just ******ed.

Yes, we know Optimus is not going to stay dead forever after the forest fight, but actually out-and-out calling it stasis lock and basically explaining it as the Cybertronian equivalent of a coma just completely ruins what worry and concern DOES come from that whole scene. It's like a reverse of the Duke situation from the animated G.I. Joe movie, lol.

Using it like they did with Sentinel instead was great, though. You know the whole point of him surviving at all was to be revived so the stasis lock maneuver isn't really a problem there.

:) 

11. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    I honestly don't know.

12. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
  13. Autobot Burnout

When the heck was this actually established? I was pretty sure the implication of Prime SHOVING THE MATRIX INTO SENTINEL'S CHEST ala ROTF (when Sam did the same thing to Optimus) was a pretty clear implication Sentinel was dead. I mean, the Decepticons kinda outright state they needed Optimus to resurect Sentinel. If it was a normal stasis, there's no reason why the Decepticons couldn't have done it themselves and cut out the Autobot middlemen.

All the "eye" stuff was just flashy intro stuff.

14. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, the eye thing is briefly confusing but if you pay close attention to the timetable of the plot he was obviously not awakening then.

He was however still alive.

This is established by Ratchet on the Moon with his scanner, "His levels are faint," and by Lennox explaining the "sleep mode" thing to Mearing/us.

He also mentions that it means he WILL die without Energon and that the Matrix is the only thing which can repower him.

Which is why the Decepticons needed to trick Optimus into using the Matrix, since the entire trilogy is about the Decepticons chasing after Energon since they don't really have any on hand to spare and a simple "transfusion" isn't feasible.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It was established right away. Sentinel was almost entirely out of power as Ratchet pointed out, in a sleep mode. (as Lennox explains) However because he's not damaged he's not really dead, just devoid of life if that makes any sense. The Matrix produces energy, and energy is all Sentinel needed. We're just using the term stasis lock because that's the best description.

16. Autobot Burnout

Oh, yeah, forgot about Ratchet's line. That makes more sense.