So Runabout...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    What are the odds that someone won't be able to get him at all? I'm kinda paranoid that I'm gonna miss out on this guy, having Runamuck with no Runabout would just feel... wrong.

Also, any tips on making sure I can get him? Little nervous that on Tuesday I'll go to school, get out, and find he went up and came down in that time

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Club says they've bumped his numbers up a lot, and that they don't think it'll be a 24 hour sellout, but he should still go pretty fast.

3. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I hope they significantly boosted the numbers. I won't be able to afford him right away...

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I think people overstate how fast these things go. Yeah, it's possible you could miss it if you're away on a business trip the day it goes up, but people seem to act like there's a 5 minute window and you're gonna miss your chance if you don't see an e-mail immediately.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    the only recent club exclusive figure thats hard to find is Punch/counter punch.

I doubt runabout will be a sell out anywhere near as fast as P/CP was.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I think you will be suprised how fast he will go. Mayb not day 1 but, not 5 days. Hopefully they will limit the number people can get.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't call PCP hard to find. Expensive maybe, but there's more of him available on ebay then Shattered Glass Cyclonus, the Seacons, or Nightbeat. Heck, there's not even that many Astrotrain or Airazor.

And as far as selling out, G2 Ramjet sold out faster then PCP even though there was more.

Face it, there's just know way we or the club can predict what's going to happen.

8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I hope I don't miss Runamuck, I didn't join for the first time this year to save $78, as I'm going plus one to BC so there was no point in having separate memberships. Anyone know if Runamuck will make it to the store like the Nexus limbs and Dion?
    While we're on the subject, did Sideburn "sell out"?

9. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The extras Sideburns sold out very quickly. It was actually a big issue because there ended up being a big problem with the Sideburns shipped overseas not arriving/arriving late and the Club not having enough extra Sideburns to cover this problem.

You're in the UK so you're situation is stickier since you are not a member but will want both Runamuck (member exclusive) & Runabout (club exclusive). If the club doesn't have a pre-order limit then getting a Runabout through your friend will be okay as long as you guys are on the ball. You'll have to buy any Runamucks that go on sale later through a member also.

From memory, here's a quick history of the member exclusive.
    2005 Skyfall - $20, There were still availble in 2008. Can't remember if they were part of the half-off sale. Think they sold out when Heatwave came out.
    2006 Landquake - $20, sold for half-price for a couple months in 2009, still available up to 2010
    2007 Breakaway - $20, sold for half-price for a couple months in 2009, still available up to 2010
    2008 Topspin - $20, very few if any extra
    2009 Heatwave - $20, till some left for over a year, sold out roughly around the time the Fansproject Bruticus set came out
    2010 Dion - $25, still available in store
    2011 Sideburn - $32, sold out quickly, first time issue with shipping overseas. Quick sellout due to potential (not likelihood) for blue Protector set.
    2012 Runamuck - $??, G1 homage will probably guarantee a quick sellout depending on availability of pairing with Runabout

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  10. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Exactly, every thread it seems like people think P/CP sold out in the blink of an eye. IIRC it took about 2-3 days (which was fast), but Ramjet sold out much faster.

11. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    P/CP was a true example of a term I hate, because it nearly always gets misused: scalping. From what I could tell, P/CP, especially the second run sold out so quickly because people were buying multiples of eachand they, intentionally or not, artificially created demand.

I bought G2 Ramjet and Cheetor from club on day of release, but by the time I paid shipping and customs to the Uk it cost me more than if I'd picked them both up on the secondary market.
    Annoyingly, I even picked up two Cheetors from the club store at Botcon for two friends, cheaper than what I paid for mine, and they ended up getting them from me nearly two weeks before mine arrived in the post.
    Club exclusives are great, but sometimes they really suck.

12. barrelks

News Credits:
    The second run of P/CP was pretty small (only a couple hundred), and those who had already purchased one the first time around were not allowed to buy the second run. Sure it sold out in a few hours on the second run, but I got a call about it while I was at the dump, had time to drop my load, drive a half 20 minutes home, and get mine. The issue with P/CP is a lot of collectors wanted two of them, but the original run still took a few days to sell out. If someone can't get to a computer in a couple days, and/or have a friend call them when they go hot, they didn't really plan ahead.

I can understand a bit of frustration over Ramjet, because it did sell out the first day, and I think it was purchased more by speculators after seeing the popularity of P/CP the year before, seeing as how it can be picked up at close to the original price pretty easily these days.

13. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a different theory. Scalping was a part of it but there were other factors.

PCP sold out quickly because:
    1) It was a recently released mold.
    2) There was a boom in the fandom due to the latest movie.
    3) Normal people were buying in triplicate (Punch, Counterpunch, Alt Mode) instead of duplicates.
    4) It was G1 homage.
    5) There were no known problems at the time of the pre-order.

And as far as the second run.
    1) It was not a second run but an extension of the first run. (not sure if this was confirmed but a second setup seems unlikely and the club got the 2nd batch the same time as the first).
    2) Because it was an extension, there were not as many. The original run was 1200-1400. The extension significantly less.
    3) The club limited the second batch to one each and only people who had not purchased from the first batch were allowed.

14. barrelks

News Credits:
    I agree with all your points, just had to point out that this one made me laugh, I like how it is "normal" for us collectors to buy duplicates. Couldn't agree more though. I almost wish I had a third to display in Alt mode at this point.

15. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Having been collecting for nearly thirty years, I literally have no idea where people would put these if buying double and triple is "normal"! If you have two of each, does that mean you never, ever transform them? Sounds strange to me.

I guess largely I'm bitter about missing P/CP twice, I was at work when the second order went up. Then I nailed Cheetor and Ramjet and they cost a fortune to ship to the UK! I don't do credit cards so I have to make sure I have the money in the bank fora Botcon or exclusive toy.

I ended up making a P/CP custom with a much better head and movable thumbs, but damn, that was a sexy box that came in.

16. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

^
    Yah, seriously. It barely makes sense in the more hardcore part of the Macross fandom where the figures are generally far more expensive, but not as restricted in quantities, much more larger and more complicated to transform, and overall there are far fewer figures to collect.

The main reason people by multiples among us is either to trade or sale. Displaying multiples at least outside of the few troop-builders, I believe that is unheard of.

17. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    So I shouldn't be worried?

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    you will always be able to get him. The question is how much you have to pay.

19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Basically, if you have to schedule around the sell time, get to sleep early and wake up when it comes up for sale. There are a ton of people out there who will snap up multiples to flip for 3X the price if you don't wedge your foot in the door.

20. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ....and I, of course, will be away on business Monday AND Tuesday :( 

P/CP did sell out in a manner of hours....I'd say about 8-12 hrs at most (I think it was more like 6hrs). I can attest to this because I wasn't sitting at my computer when they announced it and when I found out, they were gone. I remember very clearly because I remember e-mailing the club at how pissed I was about it. Then they had a second run, but they refuse to say when they would go on sale again and kept saying "soon". Well, of course, wasn't nailed to my computer and they went on sale and sold out in probably less than an hour. There is absolutely NO REASON that they can't announce a date and time that these figures will go up for PREORDER so we can plan ahead. People simply can't leave a meeting at work to buy a toy.

I'm with you there.

I think being concerned is appropriate. I have pretty much no faith in FunPub, and I am actually pretty easy to please.