So open the box or leave them sealed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jetrex, Jun 30, 2009.

1. jetrex

jetrex Transform and Roll Out!

Ebay:
    So I started collecting Transformers when the 07' Movie came up. First of all I have had the original figures when I was younger. When I started collecting them I had decided to keep them all sealed(in exemption to a few) this continued into collecting the Animated figures. I eventually sold them all nearly a month ago and now I find myself re buying the new ROTF figures. Now I feel as if I'm missing out by not opening them..... So should I or not?? Anyone feel the same way??

2. MunseMan

MunseMan Chuck Testa

News Credits:
    open them there toys

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Most of my figures stay sealed. I love the minty freshness of them all and the overall look. With that being said, if you don't open such figures such as ROTF Optimus Prime then you'll be missing out BIG TIME. Figures such as OP, Sideswipe, hell even the twins just need to be opened. Figures like Chromia I have heard can stay sealed and you won't miss out. That's my opinion. You WILL NOT be upset about opening some of these figures.

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    The correct answer is always to open your toys.:D 

5. Nemesis Chris

Nemesis Chris mental minibot

i try to get 2 if i can, that way i can tinker with one, and display one minty fresh.

6. TheFallen

TheFallen Megatronus

News Credits:
    IMO something is not worth buying if its not going to be opened.

7. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    I've come to the conclusion that if you think it'll be limited and you think you might want to sell it down the road for a profit then leave it sealed and buy one to take out. But, if you don't see selling your collection at all or don't mind shooting for break even on a loose toy then take those bad boys out! I have some that will never come out though, such as the TFTM Vardia Starscream, G1 repaint Starscream & Deep Space Starscream as an example since I already had the regular Starscream out of package and the others were exclusive repaints. Some Henkei's I bagged mint at an estate sale are also staying in their packages. Other than that, I can stand leaving a wide release in it's package.

8. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

You've already sold your collection once. Starting all over again with a new line its going to be a LONG LONG LONG time before any of them are really considered collectibles worth anything substantial over retail price.

You come out just as good pretty much if you open them very carefully and play with them, but keep the boxes so they can always be MIB later as long as your not harsh on them.

If you planned on picking up older MISB TFs and the more limited and rare new releases then maybe it would be worth adding new MISB movie toys to your collection.

9. scourge88

scourge88 Well-Known Member

I open mine, but I keep them in the case for a couple of days. It is nice to see them in the box. I have so many sealed that I have to open up.

10. AMG

AMG Old School

Sounds like you're leaning towards opening them.

For me there is no contest between opening a toy, transforming it a few times and enjoying the purchase. Or just staring at it while it sits MIB/MOC. You can't take these things with you. You might as well enjoy them while you're here.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    let them bots and cons breath!

12. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    both! remember to open the ones with batteries and take them out or misb won't mean damn when they are corroded with battery acid.. but do it carefully.

I keep the ones that I can sealed..

13. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I'm about 90% opened and 10% sealed. Most of the fun of toy collecting is putting them on shelves, in scenes and lineups.

14. jetrex

jetrex Transform and Roll Out!

Ebay:
    oooookkkkk! i just opened all the decepticons! Leader megs, voy. starscream, demolisher, mixmaster, deluxe ravage, barricade, rampage.

15. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Open and keep the box like I do.

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Open, damnit, open! You're not getting any of the enjoyment of the toy if you leave it in it's packaging.

17. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    open and play with it

18. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

I open most of mine, have a few I have pinned mosc on the wall but they're either repaints or some that my son has as well and I've messed with them already.

Or if the purchase has a interesting story behind it, like my Misb BW Inferno I got for $5 on ebay a couple years back, hes staying in(as badly as I wanted to open him) just for the fact of the story.

Open and enjoy!