So, one of my best friends is getting married...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, Sep 5, 2011.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    So as the title suggests, I just found out that one of my best friends is getting married in November, and it got me thinking about a few things, one of which being what I should get him & the future mrs as a wedding gift.

Now, I know that money's always good for obvious reasons, but I'm thinking that maybe something funny would be good along with it, especially given that we've been friends since pretty much our 1st day of high school. Also on the subject of cheddar, how much do people usually give these days anyway? I know he's not gonna expect too much (especially since neither of us are loaded & since he knows I'll have to fly over during the weekend just to make it there at all), but I don't wanna seem like a cheap ass when I go to something that's probably gonna cost a lot more than it needs to as it is.

I'm gonna see if he's planning to set up a wedding registry somewhere (as it would simplify things quite a bit for both him & the guests), but that makes me think of another point, and namely how disconnected I've become from most (if not all) of the people I grew up with. I'm sure that most of us have gone through this at some point, and while online stuff definitely makes it easier, it's just not the same once you've been away for a few years. I mean, if I was still living in Saskatoon, I wouldn't have needed to come anywhere close to hearing about his wedding through a facebook invite, and I'd probably even be helping him with things as we speak instead of making a thread about it on here hah.

... and yeah, I wasn't planning on typing much, but it seemed like something worth discussing, so here we go. :) 

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Get them started on a transformers collection...

Generally, when people go to a wedding they give a gift at least as much as they figure it cost to seat them at the dinner/reception, since this is one of your best friends, you should maybe consider a bit more.

What do get them though? Well, if they're registering somewhere, it gets a lot easier. Are they just moving in together now? You could get them something for the home, like a serving set or cookware, and if they've been living together for a while you could get them a nicer "upgrade" for something they already have.

As to what would make a good gift, it really does depend on the person, but do keep in mind you're getting something to celebrate your friend AND his wife, so it should be something that both of them can use.

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well honestly, I wouldn't be able to give a good suggestion for something funny, but what Aernaroth suggested would do :p  Get them......a.....Windcharger. :D 

On a more serious note, I think a more meaningful gift will depend on how well you know your friend and his mate. For example, one of my best buds out here got married about 2 years ago. All three of us used to live together (with a total backstabbing slob that we no longer associate with) in a house. They both LOVED to cook. The stove and oven were barely free when we were home :tongue:  They had some of the cheapy kinds of oven mits you can get from Walmart, and I remember she used to always talk about getting a good oven mit one of "these days." My best bud had mentioned getting one for her as a surprise gift, but you know how it goes when you have bills to pay....

With that in mind, they had a registry set up and the mit showed up in the list. It was rather a pricey oven mit. It was one of those where you would wear and not feel even the slightest amount of heat when you picked up something hot. Well, there were comparable ones that worked just as good for less, but hey....how often do you know a best bud getting married to the woman of his dreams? So I splurged and bought it for them, but never said anything. The looks on their faces when they opened it up...... For some reason....it seemed they liked the mitt more than the silverware and other appliances they got.

I know.....you're probably saying, "An oven mit???" Well.....like I said, it depends on how well you know the two people getting married. My best bud and his gal loved to cook..... so the question is....what does your friend like? Do you know what she likes? What is their common interest? Go from there :)  And like you said....if they both set up a registry and one of the items you know they would appreciate is on there.....why not?

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the best gift you can give your best friend is to show them you've been listening to them all along.
    one of my friends i have known since '85 and i have never failed to get the right gift because i listened to her over the years. always, something she said will help me find the right thing.
    She mentioned her dad and his job, and the lack of anything in her house that reminded her of him.
    2 years later, i found one of those BBI Little Bird helos, and gave it to her- AFTER getting someone to add the proper markings for her dad's unit.

silly example, but it works. if you invested the effort to listen to your best friend over the years, the gift will pick itself and they will really appreciate it.

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    1. Cut a hole in a box.
    2. Put your junk in that box.
    3. Let them open the box.

BAM! Cheap and memorable.

6. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

This... will get you kicked in said junk.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Haha, thanks guys, and I'll definitely consider the Junk Box idea.

Seriously though, I think something for their apartment would be good too, as they've both got tonnes of useless crap (and will likely get more of it) as it is. My buddy's always been into cooking (even small things), so that makes it easier. I remember a few years ago when his parents bought him an industrial blender (the kind that destroy innocent transformers in seconds), and to him it was like getting a con exclusive. We made skittle slurpies, mostly because we could, and I guess he combined that sort of mentality with the fact that he liked cooking shows, but didn't like eating at mcdonalds every day as a sign to expand onto actual food.

At any rate, I think Aernaroth brought up a great point about this being something for both of them, and I think that's gonna be a main goal of mine.

... 2 Windchargers?

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Do they have a nice set of china to use on fancy occassions? Do they have room to store said fine china? Wedding China, crystal (the glassware, not the booze), and serving platters made of precious/semi-precious metals are all classic gifts for people who like to cook and entertain.

What about a set of copper pans? They look good, are prized by many discerning chefs, and if taken care of, can last for decades.

May want to go in with some people on these gifts though.

9. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    My mother bought my cousin booze for his wedding. Six bottles of quality wine.

My mom's the favorite aunt...

10. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

If you decide to go the money route I'd say anywhere from $50 to $100 would be a good amount. Weddings and receptions are expensive as hell and they're going to need all the help they can get to pay it off.

11. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I read the title as "one of my best friends is getting murdered..."

That kind of thing happens to me a lot. I never think something I think something says is strange until I realize what it actually says, either...

12. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

so he's kinda like a brother to you.

1) give em' an enveloppe with money to help with the wedding expense. don't say it like that of course. if he was my brother i'd help him anyway i can. cost of the seat.
    2) give em' the actual gift. something from the registry since you want to see them using it anyway.
    3) another enveloppe to give them a head start in their new life together. normally, equal or higher than the cost of the seat itself or whatever is comfortable with you. also depends how much of a brother he is to you i guess.