so ok....Galaxy Force rules!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Recall, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I've got the TV-Nihon sub of Galaxy force and i'm working my way through it (i've never seen the american Cybertron release) and so far i've throughly enjoyed watching it. I love the anime style mecha and awesome transformations and have no problem with how many times per episode we see the Transformations. I would be disapointed if a Transformers cartoon didn't have so much stock footage, its that which usually helps shift the toys anyway.

The names are golden....Super Commander Galaxy Convy is just outstanding. I'm also enjoying the feel and overall tone presented, its something I haven't found annoying and wanted to see what happens next.

I just wanted to broadcast my fondness for this series and wondered who else liked it? I'm aware how many people don't like it so I was hoping to hear from those who do.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it really, really crawls at points (all of speedia), but it is pretty good. the voices and music alone make it better than the cybertron show, but I really, REALLY wish TV Nihon would have translated ALL the japanese dialogue. when you're watching a subtitled show, you shouldnt need to pause it and look up what a japanese word means.. or god forbid, pause it to read the definition of the japanese word that the people subbing it put on the same exact screen as the untranslated word. (look at this grab from the fansubbed Death Note for the perfect example of this retardedness)

but yes, it is good. it's probably the best of all the japanese TF shows. granted, that's REALLY not saying much. at all. but the show is good.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Yes the music is awesome, hell they even managed to make the process of building a base exciting :) 

I know what you mean with the subtitles, the fact they sometimes use short hand or abrievations that not everyone may get is also annoying but luckily it isn't done so often.

4. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I watched this series through tvnihon. I enjoyed it quite well. I haven't seen but a couple of eps of cybertron. The Spedia arc is very slow, everything else is ok.

I didn't care for armada and engergon literally put me to sleep. This show however I couldn't wait for the next sub to be released.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
  6. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Can I get an official english subtitled DVD set of this still?

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I've just had two in this episode, the most recent case is "Onii-Chan" which means Elder Brother, so why they didn't just have that as the subtitle i'll never know.

The people who sub seem unwilling to re-write a sentence so it reads correctly, for them a sub should be a direct word for word translation hence why certain verbs are seperately translated, because if they put the translation into the sentence it won't make sense. If they just re-wrote the line carefully, it would be fine but that seems to go against what people expect from a fansub.

8. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I didn't really like GF, the music was okay, the mecha were nice and stylish but everything else fell flat. I still can't forget the episode [42...? or 44] where Galaxy Convoy blasts the Destron comic duo up and down Gigalonia.

The Soundwave\Noisemaze plot was stupid at best, the Destrons were outnumbered about 5 to 1 at the end...too much crap to write about. At least this series had the best Starscream [episode 26 rules] and a very decent Galvatron.

My favourite japanese tf show is by far Superlink.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Indeed. I've tried watching both Galaxy Force and Cybertron and both times got bored and given up when it gets to all the endless racing. Maybe one day I'll be able to trudge through it to get to all the better stuff that I hear comes later.

10. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've seen both galaxy force and cybertron and i like galaxy force a lot better ^^

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    In retrospect I found Galaxy Force to be a really boring cartoon, and the one where Takara gave up all pretense of co-developing the series with Hasbro.

Why does a white caucasian family living in Boulder, Colorado own a house with a Japanese interior (sliding doors)? Why do they bow to each other? Even asians living in western countries don't do that very often.

It's done enough that it shows TV-Nihon is more interested a slavishly literal translation of Japanese to English than a true subtitle translation with an english-speaking (predominantly American) audience in mind.

What the hell does Convoy-tachi mean? Do they mean "Convoy's team"? If so, why didn't they say that?

12. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    All i know is Sama is Sir, San is Mr, Tachi is often something to do with someone's nature or a weapon skill or a form saying someone's name in a poilte way I believe.

It has no purpose to mention it in the sub, but I suppose it appeals to someone having the subs like that.

13. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Believe it or not, I like Galaxy Force/ Cybertron more than Beast Wars due to the fact the last few episodes of Cybertron/Galaxy Force are more mature in story-telling than Bthe third season of Beast Wars which became thr Transformers version of Looney Tunes until the last 4 episodes.

The best character in this series is Scourge/Flame Convoy.

14. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i liked galaxy force, some point i should give cybertron a going though.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    That.

GF/Cybertron was one of the very few series I honestly flat out gave up on. The characters were bland and uninteresting, and the plot failed to do a thing for me.

The Soundwave/Noisemaze plot irks me. In the notes for the GF DVD box set (With Mass Production Noisemaze), the entire thing about Planet X was such a great idea: In a parallel universe, Unicron had died. However, the sparks he consumed rebuilt themselves (ala Alpha Q from Energon/Superlink) and turned his body into a kind of Warworld, using it conquer planet after planet. Their scientists found that their universe was ending, and so they sought ways to bridge into parallel universes. They found/made a breach and pulled Gigalonia in, only to find that Gigalonia could fight back. In an effort to end what was turning into a war, Planet X unleashed one of Unicrons most powerful weapons, only to have it destroy themselves. Now, those scattered few who were either offplanet or survived now seek the annihilation of anything Gigalonian and to reclaim their status as universal dominators. Such a fantastic idea that was only hinted at and passed on for the series.

Of the "Six" (Armada, Micron Legend, Energon, Superlink, Galaxy Force, Cybertron), Superlink is far above and beyond my favorite. Towards the end they "run out of plot", but the music, some of the plot lines just worked for me. Energon was outright painful, Armada and Micron Legend I just couldn't get into ever, and Cybertron hacked up the first few episodes into one mess. Galaxy Force started out OK, but just steadily lost me until I gave up before the giant planet. I should probably give it a second chance, knowing that it did pick up again.

16. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See, I reckon the Cybertron dub infused a lot of the rather bland GF characters with a lot of life. Even if it was just a funny way of talkin', I can *remember* the cast of the show, what they were like, and what they did. I'll be jiggered if I can remember what Energon Downshift ever did. Even the dub couldn't salvage the mess that was the Planet X plot, though. Might've been an idea to work on THAT instead of spending fifteen episodes showing us the same damn race over and over, there, guys!

17. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Galaxy Force Starscream is outstanding, even the way he looks is top notch.

I'm still waiting to get a hold of Superlink, but TV-Nihons links for episode 1 are down so there is no point downloading it all without the first episode, and i've posted on there stating its down but they don't seem to care.

18. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Liked Galaxy Force as a cartoon and absolutely loved it as a toy line.

19. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

I LOVED Galaxy force. Starscream was just a badass in that. I mean, he took on ALL of the autobots and WON. Oh, and episode 51 is just amazingly incredible.

20. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ok i'm pretty sure now the sub was done by those who think swearing makes something better, replacing every instance of the word damn with the word shit is getting annoying.

In regards to characters being bland I have agree, I understand that they seem to have no personality based on the tone of the Japanese language but what they do and how they are drawn display their personality quite well. Its were all just used to accents on a language we understand so any accents portrayed in Japanese we may very well be oblivious to. I still like the Characters a lot though.

I'm watching quite a few episodes a day at the moment and moving quite quickly through it all, my Brother is watching the odd episode himself too and said episode 10, where Vector Prime is trying to explain the whole Planet Force thing to the kids on the beach is so incoherent and conflicting with the previous episodes that you actually question what the hell is going on. It didn't bother me so much but I don't think I was paying too much attention to it at the time.