so my friends xbox gets the 3 red lights

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by peeman, May 23, 2007.

1. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well last night my friend went to play halo 3 beta and his xbox 360 came up with the 3 red lights, he brought his console at launch so considering its such a well known problem the console was likely to get it at some point

anyway today he phoned microsoft only to find the console was out of warranty (it has been a year but i thought they extended the warranty on the launch units), and despite the fact he has a launch unit and a common problem which alot of people are having there making him pay £83 to have it repaired

does anyone else think this wrong? they know they have sold him a launch unit which they know have alot of problems (they extended the warranty) and he has a common hardware problem (its not like hes dropped it), which to be fair is well known, there making him pay for it

grr i think its abit skanky but thats just me, i guess a warranty is there for a reason but when you have a launch unit and a common problem etc maybe something else should be done

EDIT: forgot to mention the best part, after paying £83 they are only gonna give him a 6 month warranty with the new one they are sending him

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ugh...I had Microsoft's tech support, fixing people, etc.

That's why I like Sony. The PS2 is a great system, and has the service to back it up. My PS2 fell on a screwdriver (Long story) and they fixed it for free. Even payed for shipping.

3. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Bah, I had a PS2's DVD drive fail and I would have had to pay Sony $80 to get it fixed.

4. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well my friend has written a nice letter, not sure what he intends to do with it though considering he will probs just get automated responses

Dear Xbox360 support

Having just called your customer support line, I was rather disgruntled to find out that the repair charge to my xbox 360 is (after the 3 red light syndrome) £85. Although I understand why this charge exists (seeing as I am out of warranty) I feel it is still unfair. It is well known within the gaming community that early xbox 360's (like my own) had production problems and many manufacturing faults in their first batches and thus I expected due to the common occurrence of this problem in early 360's for it to be treated differently by support.

I am aware that 3 red lights indicates the console locking itself down to protect its hardware, but the fact still remains that Microsoft admitted the issue of console quality and extended warranties by a few months… I think maybe a product recall would have been a better. I am the 5th person I know of in person who has had this problem, If you ask me that is 4 too many.

I have been an xbox live subscriber for over 6 years and have had dealings with xbox support a few times (the original xbox price drop, the power cable fiasco...ect) and have always been left feeling like a valued customer. Now I feel like all that good work that your department has done for me seems to have been ... being a chasing console really bred customer support of the highest calibre treating people with value such as Nintendo do... but now xbox is the top console it seems support just doesn’t care about the individual customer anymore.

Anyway I really did not intend for this letter to come over so harshly, I just feel that seeing as Microsoft admitted there were problems in their original 360 launch consoles batches I expected to be treated like the loyal customer I have been.
    Maybe Microsoft should have a look at Nintendo and their sterling customer support record… I have no doubt if they admitted a fault in their console they would of repaired it for free and written a letter of apology.

I did eventually reluctantly agree to pay the repair fee, after having the situation explained several times to me (which was unneeded)

I promptly suggest you change this policy before you lose any other loyal xbox fans like myself .

Regards

****** ******* (former xbox fanatic)

5. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

They did extend the Warrenty on 360s twice, but I here the EU customer supporter has no idea wtf they are doing.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

There's a "wrap it in a towel" trick somewhere on the net, might help it fire up again

7. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=133458

And peeman, it's a nice letter. And while I sympathize, you can't expect the company to indefinitely extend a warranty.

I occassionally get rings of death (including the first time I ever turned it on) and plan on sending mine in promptly after 11 months of ownership.

8. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Under Irish law, 360s are covered up to 6 years. I'd be surprised if there isn't an equivalent law in the U.K. Get your friend to ask around on some of the U.K based 360 forums - he might find something useful.

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

This is exactly why Im so damn scared to get a 360. These things really should have a longer warranty than just a year. :( 

10. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Just as a point of reference, a typical standard warranty on that shiny new LCD or plasma HDTV is a year as well.

11. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Well, Im saying that warranties on all consumer electronics should be extended for far more than a year.

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ack! Between my roomate and I, we have had 5 PS2s breakdown. Either they stopped running CD based games, or stop playing DVDs etc. Their service was great the first two times, but not after that. Also, we are both adults and take very good care of our systems and never used unlicensed products. My 360 got the same red light problem, but because I bought a store warranty, which goes one year beyond that of MS's warranty, the store replaced it. If you ask me, the $40 or $50 for a warranty on a new system is mandantory.

Oh! And I want a PS3- I can afford a PS3, but I will damned if I ever buy a Sony system the first year again, unless some crazy game comes out that I need more then food!

13. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

under UK law a company that produces a consumer good has to insure that the goods will be in a servicable, working order for a decent period. This is normally proven to be 3 years of use.

I've had a 2 year old Samsung TV replaced by Samsung after I kicked up a shitstorm over it, it took three months of arguing but they did cave.

Go to trading standards, ask them for a letter, forward it on. Hilarity ensues.

14. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

See I've never had a problem with Sony PS1 or PS2. I had a ps2 from the original launch date here in the US and never a problem. I did have a xbox and well now its a paperweight. Got the disc read error and no luck with getting that fixed for free.

The 360 reports do scare me and I agree with you, the extra system warranty from the store is worth it.

15. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    my brothers 360 (got it before launch date for free in a contest) finally gave us an error the other day, it crashed, and 2 red lights came on, he couldn't get it to turn off, so he just unplugged the cable from the back.

he turned it back on half an hour later and its working again. I hope it doesn't break.

if was free, so not the end of the world if it does, but we certainly won't be buying another one if it DOES break.

we'll be buying a Wii instead

16. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Really what people say online doesn't matter a whole lot. What really matters is the percentage of bad units. I know I worked for Nintendos customer service for a while after the gamecube launched, and the people calling in with a problematic GC would say "I read online this is a common problem" and would say stuff like we need to do a recall or some such other insulting things. Well, the GC defect rate is far lower then the majority of electronic systems, including the PS2 by far and the Xbox. I don't have those numders or would have been allowed to give them anyways, but Sonys systems have had enough problems to warrant free repairs way after warrantys were voided. A sign of decent customer service but also bad manufacturing and testing. From what I could tell, my PS2 units that broke all seemed to have problems after watching some DVD movies. My Xbox I got day one, and never a problem, though I strongly prefer Sonys game library, and that's what really counts and that's why I will get a PS3 at some point, but the 360 should have some decent exclusives to. Anyways, I'm ranting... sorry about the system malfuntion and it does bother me that it won't even startup or give you any indication of why it's happening. The service reps will also just ask you basic hookup questions and then if that doesn't work they consider it broken and in need of repair.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I've had 2 PS2's die on me. I'll never buy a Sony product again. I just bought a 360 a few months ago and have had no problems yet.

18. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Hah, I wouldn't go that far. Nintendo would be my brand allegiance if I had a choice, since their quality seems to be the best after the horrendously breakable NES, but honestly if you are a gamer I would imagine the games themselves matter the most, which is why I end up getting all major systems.

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Sony's support is hit or miss. It can run the full spectrum between excellent and nightmarish to the point that many people would rather just buy a new system than deal with Sony's support. Sounds like you've been lucky. Microsoft's support is no different in that aspect. I've heard both high praise and horror stories.

20. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

nintendo definitely has the best support.