So much speculation..too much...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Simian, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    I don't understand why so many people speculate about this and that..Is that Cullens voice is it not....? Is that the voice of Starscream is it not...Is that Megatron is it not...? "I reserve judgement till I know"...Why is knowing if it is or is not gonna change your mind...If you like it you like it...if you don't you don't..I mean if you like the voice are you just going to say you don't because it is or isn't someone you want to do the voice...this is utterly ridiculous...just enjoy the clips, pics, trailers etc...and don't friggin worry about all the who's its and what's its... its a movie for crying out loud...and in a couple of months you will be able to cry or rave about whatever you want without looking like a tool knowing all your previous statements and arguments were pure fallacy..

p.s. Prime with no faceplate is cool..his lips aren't at all like a fish, if you look closely you can see a very human looking lip structure...Take a pic of your profile and compare....I went to Toys-R'nt-Us (because it is more for babies now)this weekend and they had one Prime toy with the traditional G1 faceplate..all the others had mouths...

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Eh, I just ignore all the flaming/complaining that's going on. Some people just don't lear to let go of the past and grow up. As for knowing the who's and what not, some stuff is kinda cool to know before hand. It help's with some stuff that might be shocking in a movie. Or it might even enhance the veiwing pleasure knowing that your favorite actor/actress is voicing a character. An example of this would be when I went to go see Van Helsing when it came out. It was cool to know that Robbie Coltrane was the voice behind Mr. Hyde.

3. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what if a movie about you is being made and instead of looking like you the director thought that it would be better if it did not look like you at all. Say like a money or an insect. Would you be happy about it?

4. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

:horse: 

:banghead:  x100

ugh.

that analogy holds about as much water as newspaper.

IBL

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

It's not really the directors fault. It's the people above him who aprove the character designs and what not, the director is payed to shoot the scenes, and then hit the editing room later. Or at lest that's my understanding of the movie bussiness. The characters are there.....Like them or not. Personally I'm not too happy with the designs, I just hope that if a second movie is made, they do it the right way. I'm still gonna watch it. I'll make my final decision then.

6. Pengutron

Pengutron Dude

Ideally, a director's role is to give a production creative direction. Whether that's the director generating the ideas himself or simply making sure the ideas being produced come together cohesively, ultimately he's responsible for how a movie ultimately comes out.

However, in the Hollywood system, it's not unheard of that directors have to work with the creative decisions handed down from the top instead generated within his team. In the case of Michael Bay and Spielberg, they probably have a lot more confidence from the upper eschelons and Bay probably approved the character designs himself before getting a final say from above.

7. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I dunno. If it made me look ten times cooler than before and made people who previoulsy didn't care for me my fans, I'd be really happy about it.

Waitaminute! That analogy of yours is amazingly inconsequential and meaningless... why did I bother to reply?

And I actually think it is Bay's "fault" that I like what I see regarding this film so much. Cheers mike, glad you did your own thing!

8. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:

Exactamundo.....!!!!!!!!:thumb 

9. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Bay's also a Shakespearean level thespian, just watch Mystery Men.

10. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You are mistaken. At least in terms of the current Hollywood system. There was a time when that would be an accurate description of the director's role, but nowadays, with few exceptions, the director is considered the "author" of the film. He's the guy who gets all the credit for a job well done, and makes most of the final decisions about the production.

How fair or accurate this system is is a subject of some debate, but I can assure you that a director like Michael Bay had all the control he could possibly want in terms of designing these Transformers.

Which I'm totally okay with.

As for the speculation...I think it's fun, guessing where in the movie puzzle each little leaked piece fits, trying to get a sense of what the final product will be like...it really ups my excitement for the film. When it doesn't lead to fighting between the fans, that is.

Unfortunately it usually leads to fighting.

11. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    So the real Transformers are upset at being portrayed in an unauthentic manner?

Eh?

12. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I know! MEGATRON will be suing Dreamworks for misrepresentation next!

13. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Either way, we got a movie that is themed around GIANT ROBOTS! When was the last time we got one of those that wasnt some anime?

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Man that has to be one of the best posts I've read in this forum for a loooooong time.

But ya this is my thing, when have we seen something like this that wasn't anime? I mean Gundam over in Japan has been huge over there for years and the closest thing they ever got to this was G-Saviour (which was awful BTW). Meanwhile TF's is getting the whole treatment, and if you think about it is going to be the first real live action big budget feature film with a bunch of giant robots unleashed.

15. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

OMG People still bring that up monkey and insect analogies? Aside from the small few who hate everything about these designs, people are warming up and liking them. Look around ... there are lots of people that approve of them.

Besides, there is a perception by the GENERAL PUBLIC that Transformers is a kids toy, a childish object that was left behind when we grew up, and still adored by geeks and nerds everywhere. THAT is the GENERAL perception. Sometimes, I am actually embarrassed to tell the world of my TF fascination, but you know what? I really don't care what they think. To YOU, and the rabid fanboys, it is okay if they spend 150 million on a movie that will tank because the GENERAL PUBLIC thinks of the franchise as purely a kids or nerds line just because YOU got YOUR jollies off of seeing a red box sprout arms, legs, and 2 blue legs. BUT, the SMART thing to do, is to reformat these robots into something that is looked at in a different light by the GENERAL PUBLIC than it is now. They need to give a more serious, NON CHILDLIKE look to these things, to change PUBLIC perception.

Michael Bay has emphasized in an interview that these are NOT the same toys that we are used to, and people flamed him on these boards for it. I agree ... the public thinks of these as kids or nerd fascinations ... and that needs to be changed. You may want them to use kid-like models and have them prance around in 1980's style, but they are doing this for far more than tickle your "feel good" nerves.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I agree with you 100%, and you've said it the best way possible. This movie is meant for more than us "fans".

17. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

I have been teaching at the school for 9 years now. And only RECENTLY has it been cool for people to talk about Transformers without people rolling their eyes or asking what the big deal is. I have always had an Autobots logo on my car, and had wallpapers on my desktop people see on the overhead .... but, its like how I see the StarTrek nerds. I roll my eyes at THEM because it just seems "nerdy". This is how others look at us and our fascination for TF .... just like a trekkie nerd, but with robots.

Now, people have the new models as wallpaper backgrounds, and they ask me if I have any new information on the movie. Its like they are coming out of the closet, and this is a GOOD thing. It means there will be more fans that previously werent. If they would have kept the old designs, nothing would have changed. There would not be interest in the ones that think of us TF fanatics as other "StarTrek" type trekkie-nerds.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I love your posts man, and not just because I agree with you 400%.

19. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Thanks! I will be there opening night! I am going to call in sick, though my boss will know the real reason I am gone. LOL oh well.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm totally there opening night too...I'm hoping there will be a midnight show here...and my family always goes to see a movie on the 4th of July and I already told them that if they wanted to see a movie with me, they'd be going to see Transformers haha...so maybe I'll be seeing it twice opening day.