So, Movie toys...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FatalT 71, Apr 8, 2011.

1. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    No, I'm not here to bash them (though I'm not a fan of them by any means - well, Shockwave looks kinda cool, I guess :) ), but I keep reading about how the factories are churning them out left and right and their impending release has the big stores ordering case after case of them instead of the tail end of the RTS line.

Will there be this HUUUGE, ginormous rush to the stores when they hit ("Hey kids! NEW TOYS!"), scalpers and 8-year olds duking it out to see who can get the last Laserbeak - or will it be a case of there being so much crap ordered that it won't move at all, and DotM Mudflap will be sharing space with RotF Mudflap?

Just wondering - I'm still relatively new to collecting, and haven't seen what happens when the movie toys show up.

2. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:
    Yes, I fear DoTM Mudflap will share the same fate.

3. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

1) I keep out of the Transformer aisles for about 6 months
    2) I save money!

:music 

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    That does seem to be a possible benefit!

Although I will buy a deluxe DotM Starscream just to pose him on his back with the classics Seekers standing over him...muwhahahaha....

When it comes to seekers, warrior not chikkin!!!

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there will be the usual clamor for new toys, then some regret threads, then major shelfwarming, most likely beside the rotf still sitting on pegs and shelves everywhere

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The big rush seems to come when the movie actually opens - at least that's the way it seemed for the first two films.

2007: TF Movie toys flood stores,and it's not particularly difficult to get anything you want out of the available waves - movie premieres in theaters - toys blank from shelves for 3-4 months. :) 

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

There wasn't a rush around here for the RotF stuff when it was released. The average toy shoppers (buying for their kids and such) probably won't even be looking for them until it gets closer to the movie release.
    It will move, and likely better than RTS would've, but not nearly enough to counter the over-abundance.

8. LadyStarscream

:lol  :lol  :lol 

Yeah, I must admit I'll buy the Starscream too, no matter how ugly it is, and any subsequent repaints. I made many regret buys with the last two movies, I have at least 8 repaints of the original movie voyager.

9. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

So what you're saying is, you really like seekers.:D 

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I fear it'll be ROTF part Deux ... except shittier.

11. LadyStarscream

How did you know? :D 

Yeah, even the half monkey/half chicken seekers get love, on the bottom shelf, in the back, behind the better toys. ;) 

12. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    As you can tell, I'm a fan of Starscream. I have quite a few Starscream toys, most of them in his G1 incarnation (my preferred version, since I've never seen the Unicron trilogy).

Many folks here have recommended the Leader Starscream as an outstanding representation of the character, and there's one at my Wal Mart right now...but I honestly just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a design I just don't like. I thought about trying to get the Target G1 colored version, but after checking pictures and video reviews...nope. I'll get the DotM deluxe just for the lulz, but not sure how long he'll last on the shelf.

Think I'll go watch "Starscream's Brigade"....

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, speaking as someone who does collect some movie toys, it's nice being able to go out to the store and know it's probably not going to be a wasted trip. Even though I won't buy everything (the key to avoiding "regret") I get a kid-in-candy-store feeling seeing the packed aisles. :) 

14. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I grew up with G1, it is the antithesis of the movieverse figures.

But, with that being said, I am Transformers fan first, as well as a fan of engineering and sci fi. The movie figs "do it" for me, just as the Classics/Gen figures "do it" for me. As far as figures go, buy what you like. I feel there will be no big drought of any particular movie figure. If you are more of a Classics/Gen (G1) fan, I'd keep scouting around for those, they will disappear long before the movie figures will. Persistence and luck (and sometimes Ebay) will get you what you need everytime!

Here is what I'm currently fiddling with:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I'm actually ready for these things to show up. I prefer classics, but I'm just ready to actually see new stuff on shelves.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've had to endure movie lines with Transformers, GI Joe, and Marvel so here is how things usually work.

Retailers order a flood of product because they think every movie toy will sell just as hard as they can put them on the shelves. There will be a ton of the hero figure to the waves. You see some product moving when the ad blitz for the film but after the film things slow down because the public is being bombarded for the next big film out of Hollywood.

First waves are the easiest stuff to find but some of the later waves can be tougher because the retailers who over ordered the early waves don't have room for new releases.

First movie toys went quickly the first time because the retailers and Hasbro underestimated the demand for things like Bumblebee. Retailers pushed for more stock but the ship had sort of sailed so you could still find some first movie toys by the time Revenge of the Fallen was released. Two years from now you will likely still be able to find any shelfwarmers from Dark of the Moon.

My gut feeling is that Dark of the Moon will not fly off the shelves because kids and collectors already have figures of the main cast like Prime, Bumblebee and Starscream. It's a busy summer for movie related toys so it's hard to say if kids will still want the same style of Transformers when so many new heroes are getting toys.

17. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    I suspect there will be a rush for figures, even though there wasn't a big one when they came to my town. However I suspect certain figures like Sentinel Prime and Shockwave will be a hit so best to get those fast.

18. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'm guessing the usual cycle will repeat.
    1. Toy pictures come out
    2. People whine about toys
    3. People swear to boycott toys
    4. Toys come out
    5. Everyone buys toys
    6. Everyone whines about how Hasbro is a failure

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Once again this gentleman represents my thoughts exactly.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm not sure about the part that everyone buys the toys. If everyone would just give in and buy say movie toys then it seems like Hasbro could have just done a movie style Kup rather than something that looks like a Classics style figure.

With so much product out each year it seems like a good number of fans are skipping the things that might not appeal to them so they can use that money some other time for the things that do appeal to them. Being a completist and buying everything would be rather expensive and take up a lot of room in only a few years.