so microsoft have kind of hijacked my friends 360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by peeman, Aug 26, 2007.

1. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As some you will remember i made a thread a couple of months ago about how my friends 360 had broken down with the 3 red lights and microsoft was trying to charge him £78 (about $150) to repair it, anyway as he was short of money he left it until later and luckily microsoft announced they were now going to repair it for free

so anyway at the end of june my friend finally gets his 360 sent away. So anyway hes quoted a time of 25 days for his console to be repaired, well its been exactly 8 weeks since then, and he has still yet to recieve it. Hes been phoning about 3 times a week for the past month. Every time he rings sometimes he is told that the console is in "the repair bay" and they have yet to receive any updates on it and sometimes that they just have no clue where it is. Often he is told by the person on the phone they will ring him back on specific date (at least 3 times now and we have noted down all the dates) and obviousely they never ring back.

Now my other friend whose xbox has just receieved the 3 red rings phoned them up yesturday and was told the current repair time was 20 days. So the only conclusion i can draw is that microsoft have lost it and just refuse to tell him so thus effectivly taking his console. So i guess i am just asking if anyone has any thoughts or advice? hes tried staying on the line being passed up to higher people but they all say the same thing or know nothing more, he wants to complain but has no idea what to do cos if he sends in a letter to there normal costomer services department he will probs just get a "we are sorry blah blah blah letter back"

so any thoughts? anyone ever had a similar prob?

thankyou

2. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Damn I just sent my 360 away afew days ago, hope it doesn't turn out like this.

3. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I think your friend needs to be more assertive, and insist that they send him a console NOW. Eight weeks is absurd.

4. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah. I would demand that they send me a new one.

5. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Exactly. After 8 weeks and make sure you note which days they would call back, note who you talk to, etc. After that crap I was put though I would want a brand new system with the new 65nm chips. Thats just crap.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

QFT

The key to beating call centers is to make yourself a massive pain in the arse without loosing your temper and to never let a call end until you want it to.

If the minion that answers the phone won't give you what you want, then keep at them until they pass it up the chain. If they don't tell you what you want either, keep at them as well until they change thier tune. Stuff like "I don't know"or "i'll have to call you back" isn't good enougth, insist on staying on the line until they personally find out or make you a priority in thier system. If you absolutely can't do that and they don't call back when they say, then phone again. Explain what happened previously, demand to talk to the same person or somebody at the same level strait away and then carry on where you left off. Repeat frequently until results are achieved.

Never take this shit personally. They are a big organisation that turns over 100s of calls a day and are only interested in dealing with them as quickly and as cheaply as possible, hence they set up procedures that deal well with most queries easily but make it a massive pain in the arse if your question is out of the ordinary. Chances are that the 360 is sitting on a pile or desk somewhere that somebody has forgotten and all it needs if for the right person to prod the issue.

If you still don't get results after relentless phone harassment, then start harrasing them by mail as well and be sure to include every tiny detail in your letters. The next stage after that is to contact consumer action groups and maybe kicking up noise by writing to the gaming rags. Be sure to threaten them with those things before doing them thougth, the thought of bad press or people sticking thier nose in can be a good motivatinal factor for some organisations.

7. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Speaking as someone who worked for MS, I can tell you the blackbag politics of their callcenter operations is that if you call up and yell and scream at an agent, most agents will do their best to make sure you do not get a resolution. They are not actual microsoft employees and they do not get paid enough to listen to you explode on them. However assertiveness and persistence is definitely the way to go. If you do not get satisfaction from one agent call in again and again untill you get an agent who will 1. take your call seriously or 2. will get you a supervisor. Supervisors are non-technical they cant help you fix shit, but in the case of MS they do have that magic wand that many other supervisors dont. They CAN get things done in many cases and when it comes to customer retention thats exactly what they will do. As a MS employee I STILL have to go through the same crap as anyone else... My 360 ate one of my games and then ceased to work..this was when it was first released. I sent it away to be repaired, and was told by the agent on the phone that I could also be compensated for my game. Long story short my box came back but my game did not, and no replacement was forthcoming. I called and complained and was told the extra HDD i was sent was compensation... BULLSHIT they send all refurbished machines out with the HDD they came in with.. it still had someones gamertag info on it for christ sakes. So i called and complained again.. and was once again told there would be no compensation for my NON MS title. I called again and asked for a supervisor. The supervisor said they couldnt replace my game because it wasnt a MS title and they dont have ready access to free copies from other licenses.... I could understand this but this was not the explanation i was originally given,.... The supe went a step farther saying that he would gladly replace the game with any of the current MS titles available...which I was pacified with it was a racing game, which came MIB that I brought back to Wally to get my broken game back :p 

8. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Wait, why the hell are they having you send in your 360 with the HDD? When I sent mine in awhile back they specifically told me to take the HDD off, keep it for myself.

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Took about a month to get mine back.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I suggest that when calling them, drop hints that you may be working for corporate in some way, like you're a help desk system checker or something.

When people think you may be able to get them in trouble, you can practically hear them sit up straight in their chairs over the phone.

11. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

A friend of mine told me that when you send in your 360 you keep on hard drive and they send you a refurbished xbox as soon as they get yours and not the orignal one you sent in.

12. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

MS must have gotten real lazy about fixing 360s since they decided they would extend the warranty. MS sold me again on my 360 with how they handled replacing mine that I got about a month and a half after the launch. They told me to take off the HDD and just send in the console. An empty box arrived on my doorstep two days later, I put my 360 in and slapped on the return shipping address sticker they put in there so I didn't have to pay s/h and exactly a week later the FedEx guy was knocking on my door with a brand new 360 and a note inside saying they just replaced my old one with a new one.

That's terrible that they've allowed some of the best customer service help I've ever had slip into this horrible state.

13. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

My 360 has a horror story too. When I got my 360 back one month later, it didn't work. It. Didn't. Work. My brother spent about an hour arguing with Microsoft, and MS kept asking us to do this diagnostic, do that diagnostic, do that check, check that part, does this part work.

MS just didn't believe that they sent back a broken machine. I know it's their training to do that, but it took an hour until the technician was satisfied that our 360 doesn't work. It also clearly was not the 360 we sent in.

I think MS takes all the inbound 360s and puts them into the "received" pile, and there's a separate "out going" pile where they put the 360s after they're fixed. I also think there is no relationship between the two piles, and I also do not think your 360 is identified once it comes out of the box. They just give you any 360 they have that's fixed.

14. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

My experience was about the same, though it took about 2 weeks since it was through UPS ground not FedEx and UPS is slow. Got a brand new console with a build date of 8/9/07 which is after the date my console broke. Sadly it did not have the HDMI port, no idea on the chip. I have noticed it is much louder than my old unit, so that's kind of a bummer. Maybe it'll break again and I'll get lucky next time.

15. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I sent my 360 in when I got the 3 red lights of doom and about 3 weeks later (a couple days ago, actually) I got a refurb back. It's a bit noisier, but I attribute that to possibly a bigger cooling fan in it.