So many continuities...how do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jul 29, 2008.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    If there is one major flaw that I see to the TF mythos, it has to be the amount of fractured split up continuities we have on the table.

For example, I had come to see my classics collection as my current continuity/storyline. So then the Movie comes out and I felt compelled to get the toys as part of the experience, and well, I actually mostly liked the movie. THEN I f'n SWORE I would not buy animated toys. I was lucky in that I didn't like the designs, I thought the curvy animated style didn't go well with robots. Unfortunately I saw some of the amazing late season 1 eps and some of season 2, and I was hooked because the story and characters and dialogue were so good that I HAD to go get some of the figs because I liked the dang characters and story so much!

This is just an example, not including RID, Alternators, the Armada verse, multiple comic continuities, multiple japanese spin off continuities.....man. I feel like I can only have so many representations of Autobot vs Decepticon at once....but what do you guys do to address this issue?

2. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

I don't worry about it. Really, why does it matter?

3. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

I don't worry about it.

Each series is a reboot. Some series might have some similarity or a slight continuity, like Beast Wars and G1.

It's just like the real world like our multiverse (multi dimensional universe). :D 

Multiverse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Yeah, I get that, I suppose I partially meant how do you display your stuff, and maybe what lines have you pulled off display over time? What lines do you guys choose to keep up etc.....

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    In the "Mythology" storytelling, I'm a big multiverse guy, so no issue there.

As to the toys, I display based on what looks aesthetically pleasing, though right now, I'm probably only displaying about 1% of my TF collection. Additionally, I don't have to get all the main characters from any toyline. Heck, I don't think I bought a single Armada Autobot. I also hated the movie, and passed on the toyline there*.

*I did get a few Real Gears, Blackout and Scorponok 2pack, and SS. I hate that Starscream figure. I should've returned him. And Scorponok is such a waste of plastic. Blackout is all right, I'm lucky I guess in that his automorph chest is still properly aligned, but 2 transformations may be the reason for that. But the Real Gears are kind of nifty. The Game Controller and the MP3 Player especially.

6. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

I watch Gundam, i'm used to it.

As for the toy designs i go for toys that i really like the engineering of more than the character so i guess i'm a bit detached from them in that sense.

7. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I just ignore continuities that I'm not terribly interested in.

As for displaying them, I display everything I own, but then I only buy stuff that I really really want.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I have different display shelves for each series that I collect. For example:

- Masterpiece + Alternators (plus the G1 versions of each MP/Alt character for display purpose)
    - Animated
    - Classics/Universe (except for any of the WTF!? repaints)
    - Movie
    - Prime vs. Megatron (various versions)
    - Soundwave + Shockwave (various versions)
    - Seekers (original 3 - various versions)

Things like Robot Heroes, Revoltech, or select G1 like the Dinobots, Omega Supreme, Jetfire, etc. are scattered throughout.

Bottom line is that I never mix series' with each other other than throwing in the G1 versions of characters that got made into Masterpieces & Alternators.

9. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I generally buy stuff to what I like. I almost have fallen into the trap of buying Animated, so I know what you mean. The only active line I'm collecting right now is Universe, however I don't feel compelled to get every Universe figure, otherwise I would've ordered Nemesis Prime yesterday, but good god, I already have him as Optimus and Magnus, so to me, it's not worth it. That and I like some MG Gundams and don't want to spend all of my money.

10. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just sort of look at my collection like Puppylove does but not as creatively. ;)  All the figures just sort of get along. Kind of like the Transtech Axiom Nexus.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I only buy the G1 Universe/Classics stuff since I follow the IDW and War Within continuities.

12. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

It is a multi verse, Which is different from split continuities.

The Batman and Batman: TAS are split continuities.

G1 and Armada are part of the same multi verse. So they are linked.

Here is the official/Unofficial/retconned explanation merged from marvel/DW and other sources:

Primus and Unicron are Astral Gods from another plane of existance. While fighting Primus was losing so he opened a portal to the physical plane, Unicron followed. Upon entering the physical plane, Primus split his essence into every universe at once. Unicron, not knowing Primus's plan followed him to one single universe. Both were trapped in Asteroids as they entered the physical plane.

Primus's plan was to exist in an infinite number of universes so Unicron could never destroy him and Unicron would spend eternity hunting him down. Hopefully one of Primus's incarnations would rise up and defeat Unicron.

There you go. Every series has a Primus, usually physically cybertron, but recently I would say the ALLSPARK is primus in TF the movie. Every universe develops differently as a way to protect the power of primus. Matrixes, Planet Keys and so on. Unicron hops universe to universe hunting down primus and transformers. When he succeeds or fails, he simply hops to the next universe.

That is it basically. It allows the TFs to have their own little universe but with the knowledge they are all tied together and then you can enjoy silliness like the Universe comics.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, its the Marvel G1 comics(which includes the animated movie)...after all Beast Wars used the "Vox" from G2...if I remembered it correctly.

14. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Marvel UK comics for G1, everything else I take at face value and don't worry about how they fit into any continuity, multiverse FTW.

nkelsch gives a great answer to this question.

As for displaying, I currently have Ani. Bee, Prowl, Leader Megs and Act. SS, G1 Brawn and Scorpy, Kabaya Blitzwing, Go-bot Dozer, Uni. Prowl, Octane and Legends SS, Rainbow Devy, clear purple SCF Galvatron, SCF human Minerva, and a load of Robot Heroes out, all mixed up together.

So absolutely no continuity at all :D 

15. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I honestly don't think about it.

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I have different shelves for all the seires and do not mix anything together.

The only issue that I am having right now is the new universe/Classics figures as Hotshot and Cheetor will not really fit in with the current crop of classics, but they look way better then ther origional conunterparts...

17. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

I read to much Marvel, so I'm used to it.

18. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

By ignoring most of them... I've got other things on my mind.

19. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Multiverse explanation.

20. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

The continuities don't trouble me much. It's pretty easy to keep from being confused, as most of the continuities have fairly distinct characteristics (both in terms of fiction and in toy styling.) I've been exposed to every one of the different continuities since G1 (and remember, there were 5 continuities--US cartoon, Japanese cartoon, US comic, UK comic, and tech specs--even in G1.)

As for display, I have one shelf that displays all my Optimus Prime variants, one shelf that displays all my Megatron variants, one shelf with Generation One (plus MP Prime and any recent reissues out of box), one shelf for Classics/Universe/Alternators, one shelf for RiD/Armada/Energon/Cybertron, one shelf for big bots, and a shelf for odds & ends and knock-offs.

The only combining that I do in my displays is on the big bot shelf, where I have my gestalts and Ultra class figures from any line. Also, I give myself a lot of leeway on my Classics shelf. I have Energon Arcee there because of her likeness to G1 Arcee, Energon Shockblast because he's my Classics Shockwave, Cybertron Downshift because he's my Classics Wheeljack, and Cybertron Blurr for the same reasons.