So long PSP...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Jun 13, 2006.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Well sure you like it. It's the nicest gaming hardware Sony has ever released. I actually like it a lot in that regard. Making stellar game sytems is new for Sony, but having a pitiful library of games after more than a year of a platform's release is not, if you remember the early days of PS2. It was 2003 before I even started to want one of those.

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

But PS2 also didnt have any competitors for a year. The PSP is waring agianst the DS (which I also own and actually like better mainly because of the games). The DS is simply kicking its ass. While I dont really want the PSP to kick the DS's ass, the show the PSP is putting up is simply pathetic. If MGS:p O cant kickstart this thing, I fear that PSP is going to go the way of the gamegear very quickly.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Mine hasn't seen action for a long time.

I'd sell it but for 2 things.

1) I am lazy

2) I got it for free.

oh and 3) I can't find it :/

4. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

I thought about getting one, but the whole firmware thing (and the load times) kinda dissuaded me. That, and I'm happy with my DS, anyway.

If I could get one cheap, I'd still get a PSP, though (like for under $100). I just don't want to pay at least $180 (cheapest used price I've seen in stores so far) for something I know I won't use that often. At $100 or less, it would feel like more of a toy and not bother me if I didn't use it... I have no idea if that makes any sense at all. :peoples: 

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I just got a free DS so I'm happily playing NSMB...:D 

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

No competition? Uh, you forgot Dreamcast? Just because the competition failed doesn't mean there wasn't any, especially when the Dreamcast had a much better library of games than the PS2 for a long time. Even if they hadn't had any competition, that's no excuse for a poor library. If anything, no competition should've meant that ALL the good games would be flooding to the PS2. They didn't, though, even for awhile after stronger competition than Dreamcast came around.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

The Dreamcast still has a better library of games than the PS2

=3

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

im tempted so sell my psp. i reckon i could get a few quid for it, it'd make a nice paperweight.

new super mario rules man. DS ftw, etc.

9. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

10. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    I STILL don't have enough to buy myself a DS Lite...:cry 

I mean, the PSP is cool, but the DS pretty much gave it a swift kick in the balls in sales. I want to sell my PSP, but there's this dark, sinister force (my mom :redface2:  ) telling me that I'll regret it if I sell it. I've been re-playing GTA: Liberty City Stories lately, and I love it. Of course now I'm not sure if I want to sell my PSP. I already beat the two Megaman games for it (Which I might sell soon). The ONLY game that I want for my PSP now is Grand Theft Auto: VICE CITY Stories.

11. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

PSP Brand new was $140 last week on Amazon/Toys R Us Online for a short while on clearence, and including Harry Potter which you could get rid of on ebay or at a EB type store.

My frined ogt one of the last orders, and it was like said.

12. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

:lol 

I'm also getting a PSP just for Portable Ops. Damn you, Kojima! Why must you own me so!?!??!

However, another added bonus is the upcoming PS1 emulator for PSP. Can't resist PS1 games. :wink: 

13. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Personally, I'm not sold on the PS1 emulator. What happens to games that used both analog sticks, or the extra shoulder buttons? If I desire to play any PS1 games, my PS2 will suffice.

14. Gigatron_2005

Dont get me wrong, Im not trying to bash Dreamcast or anything. But Sony killed the Dreamcast before it even had a chance to compete. All the bullshit PS2 hype and Sony's evil marketing tactics made sure that the Dreamcast would die a premature death.

Sony is trying it agian this time with the PS3. Only now people can see the wool being pulled over their eyes, and they're sick of Sonys bullshit.

15. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Evil marketing tactics? Please. Every single game company has been involved in some pretty ridiculous marketing, especially Sega (Blast processing anyone?). Sony had more money than Sega to market their machine (a lot more). It doesn't make their marketing evil.

16. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Yeah, that's kinda worrying me. But won't the emulator be free? I mean, I'd rather download the game free than hunt the PS1 games in Gamestop.

17. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Saturn killed the Dreamcast. That's what you get when you use 2 CPUs and 6 processors. It was a programing nightmare for developers, causing most to jump ship to the PS1. And the rest is history. Imagine where Sega would be if they listened to the naysayers and stuck with 1 processor and had a good controller.

18. Gigatron_2005

Yeah, Sega was in really bad shape before the Dreamcast anyway. Thats why it was easy for Sony to take them down.

19. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Sega was lucky to sell 11 million Dreamcasts. But most were bought after they marked them down at a huge loss. The 32x and Sega cd were failures, but not so much that they couldn't bounce back. Add the Saturn issues to that and the Dreamcast was already doomed. Sony had nothing to do with it.

20. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The emulator will be free, the games will not.