So, just how tight will the continuity be?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TranstechCat, Oct 17, 2010.

1. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

I know it's been discussed to death, and the conclusion that everyone came to was that, yes, "War For Cybertron" and/or "Exodus: The Official History of the War for Cybertron" are/will be in-continuity with "Transformers: Prime", and that all three are part of Hasbro's attempt at a single new, all-media-spanning continuity...

But which version of events will Prime follow on from, as both "Exodus" and "WfC" cover roughly the same time period but with slightly different takes on the material (either the book happened, or the game did. Not both), and how explicit will the continuation be?

Will Prime be a direct sequel to the game/book, or will the game/book just serve as a general implied history whose events are only alluded to, but never directly referenced?

My personal feeling is that, most likely, Prime will follow on from Exodus rather than WfC and that the novel will only serve as a general history rather than a true prequel, with the events only being occasionally alluded to.

I have a hard time believing that they would start a new series on a new network that only makes sense to the people that read an obscure (outside the fandom) novel. (Or played the game I suppose. Though as I said, I think that Exodus will prove to be the "official" version of those events.)

I just don't think that this new continuity will be as "tight" as Hasbro is making it seem. I'm betting that, if anything, Prime will only serve as a continuation of WfC/Exodus in as much as "Beast Wars" was a continuation of the events of "G1".

Yes, the general events happened, and they will serve as a basic history... but they will not be explicitly referenced outside of vague allusions and perhaps one or two plot points revisited sometime down the road.

Thoughts, opinions... rants?

2. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I think war for Cybertron was designed to work as a basic history for all transformers. Incl G1. I think thats what Hasbro was talking about. So Prime, G1 Beast wars ect all have their history in War for Cybertron

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think it'll be fairly loose, you'll see bits of history in flashback but the specifics won't be shown unless the story calls for it. How many previous Transformers series have flashed back to Cybertron and what happened there during the war for Cybertron, unless something in the present needed it?

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Not a single Transformer continuity has been tight. All are flawed and contradict themselves constantly - its just one of the things that mkaes Transformers what it is. I love it :D 

Edit - Animated's was pretty spot on and well contained. Only one I can think of though :eek: 

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, the Prime graphic novel came out this week, and points of correlation with Exodus include Megatron formerly being a miner and Cybertron now being a husk of a world. But yeah, that's pretty "general" stuff, and I agree with the OP's view that Exodus will only serve as a nebulous backstory rather than a hard-and-fast prequel.

EDIT: Oh, here's a slightly more specific one - space bridge technology is considered only to be the domain only of the Ancients, unknown by modern Transformers.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i also like this too for some weird reason. i think it makes the franchise seem to have more fan ownership because of the flaw. i think most fans are forgiving of continuity, as long as you get characterization right.

7. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as it does a better job than movieverse-related comics did (IDW prequel comic & UK comic, I'm looking at you here) then I'll consider it an improvement.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it's better if the continuity is not too tight. They should never make it where you have to have read or watched something else to really be able to get the new thing. Having a deeper background than new fans should be a nice little bonus but continuity should never be so important that new fans don't have a jumping on point.

9. TranstechCat

Yep, that's what I thought. Vague, non-specific allusions and plot points that could be (or are) true for several continuities.

I think I like Prime only generally following on from Exodus, rather than being a direct sequel. It makes it easier to skip one or the other without feeling like you're missing a chunk of the story.

I still haven't found a copy of Exodus and I don't think that's going to change in-between now and when Prime comes out. Exodus only being a general ("bonus") history that adds to, but isn't necessary for the enjoyment of, Prime is really the best way to go IMO.

10. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been comparing the Exodus/WFC/Prime situation to Marvel, the G1 cartoon and Beast Wars for quite a while now. Hasbro wants to combine the best of the previous continuities to quite large story and the timescale of millions of years would be part of that. The Transformers don't need to recall things that happened that long ago completely: in the novel Alpha Trion thinks about the other members of the 13, but we're never given anything specific (which also keeps the mystery going).

At the very least, I hope it'll feel more unified than the Unicron Trilogy.

11. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I still find TF continuity easier to follow than like, X-Men or something.:D 

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Not very. Exodus, WFC on the Premium systems, and WFC on the DS are three different stories.

I also have a hard time believing that any character from WFC are going to be these characters in Prime.

13. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:

I am sure the characters (personality wise) will be more or less faithful to their WFC counterparts, why would they change them?

14. TranstechCat

My feelings exactly.

It's not that they'd change them, it's that the "Prime" characters/events are being designed/written by totally different people than the ones who designed/wrote the "WfC" characters/events.

Different storytelling styles + different art/design styles + different media = "because we said so" continuity...

Prime may very well follow on from WfC/Exodus, but as has been said it's more than likely going to be in a general, non-specific way. The major characters and events might carry over, with the minor histories and details getting "fudged" to fit with whatever the creative team behind Prime wants to do.

15. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    That shouldn't be too hard, especially with Hasbro taking the reigns like they did back in the Beast Era.

But I think, simply by being Transformers, there will be differences. But "the general idea" will be consistent (Megatron as a miner, dead Cybertron, etc).

There will be differences in the details (ie, like how the Autobot leader is Zeta Prime in the game, Sentinal in the book), but the basic gist will be more consistant than what we've seen outside of Animated.

16. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    I could not agree more, it will take key elements as you outlined and work with them, the details will be left to the preference of the individual, as it should be. I just hope that the show is consistent with itself (like Animated was)

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm not expecting it to be all that tight, but key features and what not will most likely be consistent. There is supposed to be a bit of a gap in-between the two, so there are bound to be differences.

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Because the sources I mentioned don't even agree with each other on a number of things. It also gets worse in that early Exodus doesn't even agree with later Exodus.

Is Bumblebee mute? 1 of the three says so.

What kind of personality does Megatron have? In the DS version, he's a calculating and ruthless commander, but also cautious and logical (and the only one of the three who when presented with Dark Energon refuses to use it until it's undergone extensive testing). In Exodus, he's a warrior philosopher who eagerly becomes an addict for an unprecedented edge. In the Premium systems he's a selfish jerkhole who believes only in the survival of the strongest and assumes he will survive anything because he's strong.

What about Starscream? Is he the person who was in power and played a political game in several attempts to gain even greater power by manipulating both friend and foe? Is he the person who sided with Megatron in an attempt to understand Dark Energon and then attempted to seize command when Megatron was absent and presumed lost? Is he the person who got beat down and in order have his life spared joined the Decepticons? Is he a scientist like in the start of Exodus and both WFC? Is he a warrior like the end of Exodus (and explicitly stated not a scientist)?

Who was Optimus before he was Prime? Was he Orion and renamed by the council or was he simply Optimus and didn't earn the Prime suffix until later?

I won't go on for each character and instead move on to other likely issues:

How does Megatron and Optimus know of each other? In Exodus they were close friends for a long time and partners, even calling each other brother right up to and including as they left Cybertron. In the Premium system they have an unspecified distant past that Optimus wouldn't elaborate on. In the DS they are rivals, each fighting for what they believe in with no prior history.

If it's a good series that will reveal the past, who was Optimus' predecessor? Zeta Prime? Sentinel Prime? Don't even bother with that Sentinel Zeta Prime crap explaination that Hasbro offered, it doesn't work.

What is the Matrix? This will undoubtedly be in the series at some point. In Exodus it's not a corporeal object. In the premium it is. The DS is ambiguous.

If Omega Supreme and Trypticon show up, what are they? Is Omega the guardian of Crystal City, the holder of the key of power, or the former holder of the Omega Lock? Is Trypticon sentient? Is he something brought to life by Shockwave, something that was alive to begin with, Megatrons flagship? Exodus seems to have two Omega Supremes in it (like it's got two Bruticus') and Trypticon is insanely inconsistant.

What about Dark Energon? That's the plot of all three, yet it's treated very differently. In Exodus, it's a toxic narcotic, in Premium WFC it bestows outright superpowers, in the DS it makes you a super warrior. Will the Prime Decepticons be addicts, will Megatron have super powers, or will the actual 'cons be super warriors? However in all three versions the Decepticons use the stuff. If that's not talked about at all, how can Prime be a continuation of the story?

Even ignoring the aesthetics and the cast choices, I really don't see how Prime can be a continuation of WFC/Exodus. Inspired by, certainly. If you get generic enough then it's harder to claim it's a WFC/Exodus prequel as the story has drawn from other franchises and there are some repeat motiffs. Megatron fought the war because the Decepticons had no place in the castes and guild system of Cybertron in Animated. Due to a super-warrior and the war involving him, Cybertron is an uninhabitable dried up planet is Thunderwing in Stormbringer. The Omega Lock opens the core of Primus in Cybertron/Galaxy Force.

Then when you factor in major differences in the aesthetics of the design and the core cast, it becomes close if not outright impossible to reconcile the two franchises into one big story mostly because you can't reconcile Exodus and WFC Premium and the WFC DS all into one story. The best you can do is take Exodus until the war breaks out then use the DS games.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I don't think they are at all. WFC is clearly a G1 (or G1-ish, depending on how you look at things) story (or re-telling, again depending on how you look at things).

Unless this new PRIME shows a flashback and it features all the characters the same way they looked in WFC, I'm gona declare that Hasbro rep. who said that 'WFC is in the PRIME continuity' as full of crap.

Now, maye EXODUS might be a prequel to PRIME... I dunno. I didn't read it. But at least there aren't pictures in it that contradicts what TF: Prime looks like.

20. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I say even a flash back of that type really wouldnt settle the issue.