Non-TF: So just a question...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Dropkick, May 27, 2017.

1. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Really this is just me asking which is better for custom painting my TFs. Acrylic paints or Tempera paints? I bought both not knowing which would be better.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wardog01

Wardog01 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I prefer acrylics, myself.

3. shapercreator14

shapercreator14 Terrorcon

News Credits:
    Tempera paints will not adhere. Additionally you want to make sure that you use the correct acrylic paint as standard craft acrylic paint will also have the same issue. There are some helpful guides to painting custom transformers in the tutorial section.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Deductor

Deductor Hubris Repellent

Really, depends on the plastic. No matter what, with enamel or acrylic paints, you gotta do it right or it won't turn out the way you hoped. Really clean and cote. Be mindful of the rub areas on toys. Little sanding prior to all work can really make a lot of difference in the end game. Saving your paint job from possible exposure points or chipping

5. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    You want to use acrylics or enamels. Look in the tutorials section for recommendations and painting tips (it's usually stuff like Testors or Tamiya, depending on where in the world you are - over here, Tamiya is a lot more common than Testors, but in the US, it tends to be the other way around, for example).

6. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Use Testors Model Masters acrylics in my opinion; I've been customizing for almost a decade, an painting models for almost twenty. Testors are very durable compared to other acrylic brands. Games Workshop has amazing colour ranges, but they don't adhere well at all, while I' ve had customs painted with Testors and without protective coatings, yet easily survive multiple transformations without scratching.
    Also, DON"T use cheaper brands like what you find at Walmart, for example. They don't last worth crap.

7. ILoveLuci4

ILoveLuci4 I probably hate you, too

What every one else said.

Lacquers (with primer), quality enamels, or acrylics.

Tempera is only good for, well, nothing.

8. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Acrylics. I find Citadel stuff works the best and has the most pleasant finish, plus the range of shades and other technical stuff makes it pretty easy to get good mechanical texture.

9. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Citadel paints are nice but typically expensive in comparison to the competition.

Citadel aside, the brands I recommend are Testors, Tamiya and Aqueous/Mr. Hobby. Those three tend to be the top in quality when it comes to acrylics and enamels.

I recommend only using lacquers in the form of spray paints (or using them with an air brush) - they're quite difficult to paint on with a brush as they're thicker.

Acrylics are the easiest for a beginner because they're the thinnest (though you should still use a little bit of thinner or, with acrylics, a little bit of water is enough).

Use primer if you want to put light colours over dark colours, for problem colours such as yellow, or just for generally better adhesion (but remember that using primer will make what you're painting thicker in general).

Oh, and washing your parts before painting (using lukewarm, soapy water) will help clean off mould release grease and dirt and such, which will allow paint to adhere better.

• Like Like x 1