So I've picked up Season 1...

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Tyjos, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

During my recent spending picked up some DVDs off Amazon that were on sale spotted the Transformers Prime Season 1 DVD Set.

I have seen NOTHING for Prime since I've been so busy with things and it's slipped below my Radar...I just want to know what to expect with this series.

I think the last show I watched was the end of Animated and Transformers dropped off my viewing list -been busy with some marathons of other shows mainly going through sci-fi stuff- But I have heard continual positive views on this show just from a few friends I've chatted with.

Is it going to be good[Well that's going to have to be my own decision on good,but at least it'll be something new to me] and will it NOT fall apart in plot like Transformers Energon Did...

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Expect Speechimus Prime and leeroy jenkins Arcee and Miko.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Based on the two things you mention: Prime is better than Energon, not as good as Animated.

It's an enjoyable series, but you'll enjoy it a lot more if you don't get your expectations too high.

4. Tyjos

Well if I'm not facepalming from a horrid story plot [TF Energon might have had it's moments but nothing to save it from me damming it to heck for it's constant lack of plot consistency] then it should be good.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Opinions will vary. And I loved Animated. But Opinions will still vary. Animated had it's own Miko, and it was an actual Transformer who wanted to prove how fast he was. So we got a Miko and Leroy Jenkins mixed into one character.

6. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Well, I'll tell you some spoiler free info and let you decide what to expect based on it.

In season one, the show moves forwards every other episode but in such small ways you barely notice.

After the Darkness Rising five parter, the show seems to become light hearted but that slowly changes. Some episodes, such as predatory, are quite dark and intense.

There are quite a few mcggufin episodes.

The fight sequences are very good although the generic Decepticons quickly decrease in fighting capabilities.

The cast seems limited compared to most previous TF cartoons. The same goes for environments. Expect a lot of deserts and deserted towns in season one.

The voice cast is considered very talented and includes Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime and Frank Welker as Megatron.

A few characters lack screen time but there is also a few incredibly popular ones. Cliffjumper is a badass.

The last three or four episodes are intense with spectacular fight sequences and is full of twists and shocks.

There are highly regarded human villains and agent Fowler is considered by many to be the greatest human character in Transformers. Although, he doesn't get really bad ass until season two but is still awesome in season one.

Bumblebee is not the main character.

I think that will do but I've probably forgotten stuff.

7. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey robots turn me on

I don't like Animated much, but I like it more than this. It's alright. It has its ups and downs.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You'll be thinking "Whoah, the back of Prime's head looks real just like in the movies"

The fight scenes could use some work, but are better than most other ones in the past.

9. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The general consensus is that Beast Wars, Animated and Prime are the top three Transformers tv shows.

How each one ranks relative the other two however is up to the individual.

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Season 1 pacing is very relaxed. Plot moves, but it's slowly, much more focus on character than plot development, there is one episode in particular that is just hardcore emotion and interaction, it's one single situation with 6 characters in it but it really juices it and it's honestly one of my fav TF episodes ever.

It should be a easy watch, if you like it or not nobody can say, but I doubt it will ever get close to offending you as a viewer like some TF fiction out there.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly. I agree. I personally love Beast Wars and Prime. They are my tops. But Animated was freakin' sweet too. I just won't fault Prime for characters like Miko or Arcee's careless nature, when Animated had more of this, and then some.

12. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    If you liked animated, it's right up your ally.

If you didn't, it's nothing new. Just a watered down 'Kid Friendly' version of the live action films that stars three children and has a small support cast of robots who help them get dates and do homework.

13. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Dude I'm sorry but did you see the whole show at all? Because it had nothing to do with any of what you described at all. It had MUCH more at stake then that and it had little to no date and homework. BTW showing on screen death which are quite graphic,having one of the kids get almost killed,and acutally showing some shades of grey for both factions aren't really watered down matirel in fact it's the excat opposite. If you're not into the show that's fine but don't mention flaws that aren't there in the show. I hope I'm not seen as attacking and if I am I'm sorry. Just pointing some things out that's all.

Anyway to the orignal post I'd certainly give Prime a check! Sure it had a slow start so far with it;s story but it's picking up latley and it's getting to be on the levels of Beast Wars and Animated quickly too. The character range from good to great espcially characters like Arcee.Starscream,Jack,Fowler,Ratchet,etc. It helps that the animation's cenimatic and the expressions the characters have makes them very alive as well. It also has some suprisingly dark momenst like some on screen deaths and all. If it's not your cup of tea in the end that's perfectly fine but it's still worth checking out!

14. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

Lets be friends.

Anyway, Season 1 is very enjoyable. Plus, in One Episode Ratchet is Badass due to some stuff.

15. Tyjos

Just got the DVD Set in mail today,and a good thing too after a longer work day at the Job Training place today......so looks like Prime's added to my viewing list after a couple Anime series but I can always move it up on the list.

Looks good enough and since it has Peter Cullen voicing Prime it can't be that bad if it's got him in it for sure...damn it I now need to do a Beast Wars rewatch!

16. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I think that Prime has a little bit of a Beast Wars/Machines feel to it. I think that's one of the reasons why I like it so much. I think it has outstanding animation, good stories, and one of the best vocal casts of any cartoon on television.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That is the best, most objective, and most accurate, spoiler-free summation of the series I have ever, and probably will ever, read.

18. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What episode are you talking about?

On topic:
    Prime is a decent series. Season 1 has alot of great episodes involving exceptional writing and okay characters. The cast is very small, but a few characters are interesting. It doesn't quite hold up to Beast Wars/Machines and Animated yet. You'll notice it has alot of potential at the conclusion of season 1. Its somewhat close to reaching that potential thus far in season 2. The characters are getting better. The plot is improving a little. It's definitely a series worth watching.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love this show as much as BW, TFA, and Cybertron.

This show has some of the best charecter incarnations in years like Ratchet, Starscream, Arcee and Soundwave.

20. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    *Minor spoilers*

Daniel nearly died in the G1 toon, and had to be turned into a Cyborg. Spike nearly died and had to have his brainwaves transfered to a synthetic body while he underwent surgery. Was that dark? No, not at all.

Showing On screen death? So far the series has cut away at every single death. Just because we know the character died doesn't make it 'on screen'. Dinobot died onscreen, not Cliffjumper. And again, that has nothing to do with how serious the plot is.

Shades of gray? Aside from the Unicron episode, Megatron has been an entirely two-dimensional 'Evil is Evil' character. He's even evil when dealing with his own troops. Same for the decepticons in general. Not a single one, including Megatron, has a motivation that can possibly be construed as 'gray'. They collect dark energon to rule the universe, nothing gray about it.

In summation, your bias has cause you to severely overstate your case. Also you've proven exactly why its 'not allowed' that someone have their own viewpoint of a show just because you like it. Frankly I don't care what people think of the show, but if you're going to lie about it just because you like it, then I do have a problem.

I'm not saying the show is bad, or that people shouldn't be allowed to like it. And I certainly wouldn't claim that the live action films are more well written. I'm only saying that the series is still very much 'for kids'. Despite how much people try to overdramatize a robot getting it's internals torn out, I saw it happen hundreds of times on the old Ninja Turtles toon. It wasn't graphic then, and it isn't now.

If you really want to start an arguement because you don't like my opinions and the facts that determine them, then feel free. I've got time to prove everything you believe is wrong.