So, I've gotten into Green Lantern...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by SideswipePrime, Jul 9, 2012.

1. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

Because of the movie, and the recent cartoon, and some people have told me that I should check out some of the comics, and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to specific Green Lantern comics I should pick up, thanks for the help :) 

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Green Lantern: Rebirth is your handy entry point. Covers tons of GL lore, and is the first volume by Geoff Johns, who has been writing the series ever since. You can follow the series through from there to the present day.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd suggest Sinestro Corps War as a good entry point. It's easily the best GL story of the current run and it does a great job of explaining everything so that a new reader shouldn't have trouble following what's going on. While Rebirth is the start of the current GL run, I didn't find it to be very good, honestly. It's less a coherent story in it's own right than a huge pile of retcons, and "OMG Hal best GL EVAR" moments, strung together to set up the status quo for the new run. The first 10 or so issues of the GL ongoing series, following Rebirth, are also fairly weak and can be skipped easily without missing many relevant points.

4. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    Rebirth -> Sinestro Wars -> Blackest Night

Thats enough

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah the quality really dipped after Blackest Night. Shame really, I feel DC could have made it a much better overall arc if they decompressed it just a little bit. Seemed everything was just so rushed in the end. The Anti-Monitor, after being one of DC's biggest villains, was just shafted so easily after 2 consecutive crossovers.

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I think the New 52 run has been pretty good so far. Giving Sinestro a green ring again, against his will, was a really interesting way to go.

7. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I thought Rebirth was that good. I like the moments such as Hal Jordan bringing up that time when he and Carol met as kids. Then there was when Hal was returning to his body and practically high fiving his father & Abin Sur in the afterlife.

8. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

Ok, thanks for the recommendations guys I really appreciate it :thumb 

9. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you really want to fall into the rabbit hole of reading GL I suggest following this READING ORDER. I used it last year and read the entire list over the course of last summer. Was good reading. Also not a complete waste since most of the GL stuff was not totally dropped for the New 52 reboot.

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Wow, that is an awesome website! I totally could have used that before I started reading Night of the Owls. There are no numbered parts and an entire issue of Detective actually happened in between panels of an issue of Batman. That kind of writing really bugs me.

I would definitely recommend Blackest Night. I think if you skipped the peripheral titles and stuck with the GL-related books, it would be a much tighter read. DC management took what was supposed to be a GL event and turned it into a bloated DCU event.