So, is "spastic" an allowed word, or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sanchimaru, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Sanchimaru

Sanchimaru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Recently there was a big discussion about the decepticon named "Spastic" in the PowerCore Combiners line.
    After a lor of arguments, it was decided to take the name back, since such a word wouldn't be appropriate.
    But then, I readed today Reveal the Shield Strafe's bio:

Reveal the Shield Voyager Strafe -

Most of the time, STRAFE is a pleasant guy to be around, if a little bit jumpy. But if something startles him, it’s a better than even chance that everything around him will end up with at least one hole burned through it. Loud noises, alarms, bacon sizzling – pretty much anything can set him off. Other AUTOBOTS tend to stay away from him on the battlefield, preferring to let his
    spastic fight reaction burn itself out on DECEPTICONS before they move in to capture the cowering survivors.

Roll out for some serious robot action! Press the button to reveal this figure’s robot allegiance and then prepare him for a fight. Your STRAFE warrior figure features flip-down knives that are sure to give his opponents extra trouble. When it’s time for combat, convert him into fighter jet vehicle mode so he can “soar” right into the heart of the battle. And when the battle’s over, deploy his landing gear so he can “touch down” safely!

('~') ?

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Its a unacceptable term to European residents but Americans (which this toy is marketed to) has no problem with it.

3. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    I thought we were going to get it. Oh well, more importing I have to do.

4. Sanchimaru

News Credits:
    @Roanstalker: yes, that was the situation from the start (although I also heared people from outside of the UK complaining about the term being offensive)
    The question is that Strafe's bio is as much printed in the toy's package as the Stunticon's name. Sure, it's not so much noticeable, but...

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Uh oh, time to call all the newspapers!

6. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I suppose the problem was the term being used as a name.

One of the arguments was that the toy wasnt even going to be available at UK stores. Oh well.

7. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    I don't think he's online. Hide it, HIDE IT!!!

8. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here we go again . . .

I'm gonna bet people don't care this time.

9. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    The whole problem is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the word spastic as it originally describes muscle spasms, derived from the Greek spastikos . But, like so many other words (at least in American culture) the definition has been twisted over time to mean something offensive in a slang type way.

10. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Strafe's bio will be cut short in international markets to make room for the 12 languages.. so the word Spastic will probably never appear in the markets where its considered offensive.

11. Sanchimaru

News Credits:
    No, you are missing the point: the word itself and its meaning was already discussed when the PCC Stunticon name issue came. I'm not interested in the word itself anymore, I (and everybody) understand its origin, and its currently usage differences amongst different dialects of English language.

What I'm asking here is if we have already decided that the word could be offensive and we are going to rename that character, then why is it fine to use it in context inside a sentence? In other words, if Hasbro presents a new toy called "Retard", but then people complain about the name, and it's taken back; would it be fine to release Masterpiece Wheelie with a bio printed in the box "Wheelie is a young autobot who speaks like a retard"?

12. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I'm very, VERY certain the packaging for this toy was produced MONTHS ago. Long before PCC "Spastic" ever became an issue.

And if this toy ever gets released in the UK (which is impossible to predict thanks to Hasbro UK's ever-erratic distribution), the on-packaging bio will be trimmed down to something like "STRAFE is a pleasant but jumpy guy who likes to shoot things!" in twelve different languages.

13. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I'm sorry! I'm new to the discussion and didn't even know about the PCC that was going to be named Spastic... anyway I just kinda jumped in, sorry about that.

14. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    In the UK they dont include the bios, just three or four words giving some generic description so it wont be a problem.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Please don't bring this up again.

16. Sanchimaru

News Credits:
    @jametron: no problem, man :)  I wasn't refering specifically to you, I just didn't want this thread to become another discussion about the meaning of the word.

17. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, but they could say "Inferno shoots foam that retards flames." In that case there's no reasonable way the word should be taken out of context as to it's meaning.

But then this is a world where a greeting card that talks about planets and stars can be offensive for saying "Black Holes" so who knows?

18. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only time people use the word spastic in the USA is when describing a friend who is hyper. I never understood the uproar over this situation and for me this is a mark for one of the rare instances where another country was being a bit over the top anal when it's usually the USA that leads the way into hyper sensitivity.

19. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I'll join in because i didn't last time. This is why i think it is okay in this case to use Spastic (for the record, i don't mind the word, but accept that some do find it offensive):

Strafe's bio uses Spastic as an adjective towards/describing an action (or reaction in this case).

PCC 'Spastic' uses Spastic as a name, which is therefore by extension (to some people) an adjective towards/describing a person (well, robot in this case, but sentient being nonetheless within canon).

Describing a reaction as spastic is more inclined to be read with the 'muscle spasm' definition in mind, as that in itself is a reaction, so therefore Spastic is appropriate. To call a character Spastic, i.e. to call that person/robot Spastic can be interpreted as being named Spastic not as an actual name, but a derogatory name, like when you tell kids not to call people 'names'.

Now, i'm leaving this thread to preserve the remainder of my sanity. ;) 

20. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

I find "Black Holes" offensive, as well as "spasms" of any sort. How dare Strafe!

Seriously, spastic isn't even a vulgar word across the pond, it's slightly offensive. I think there should be no qualms about offending England, they have tortured America with Kathrine Tate for far too long, and yes, I am "Bovverd"...