So ... is dead? (possible spoiler)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Grimlock1991, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Grimlock1991

Grimlock1991 Well-Known Member

In Robots in Diguised Wheeljack made reference that Thrust is dead. When did this happen?

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Wasn't he discovered wounded in the rubble after All Hail Megatron and killed by humans?

3. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah they burned him and the building he was hidden in. I think Bee found his arm.

4. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

IDW sucks. Ramjet and Thrust are dead, so no Conehead trio. These guys should just stick to killing 1987 releases and up, they'll be less upset readers this way.

5. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    They've been doing this since Dreamwave, and it's cliche and predictable as hell.

"Kill only the characters I don't care about", you say. Character deaths are supposed to affect you when you sympathise with them. It's one of the most basic elements of storytelling. When it happens, you feel a little sadness with it and worry about the others meeting the same fate. You become invested in these characters.

When everyone runs around with obvious plot armor there's no suspense involved and you become detached. That tends to make stories very, very boring.

Also, you're the first guy I've seen who's been upset enough to damn IDW over just that. There are(or rather, were) plenty of other, better reasons to damn IDW besides killing a character best known for being a Starscream repaint with a cone-shaped head.

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's just so hard to read comics when we're not sure how strong the plot shields are of characters whose toys came out in a certain year!

7. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

See, I doubt very much that there would be any success for any comic book series that had invulnerable characters, no suspense or tension.

8. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Wow.

9. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    :lol 

Thrust was heard of\seen nearly dead in one of the last AHM Codas [Bumblebee's story] and Spotlight Prowl. One of the two had a panel of him with a crushed\cut off leg or something.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I personally like seeing the obscure characters, I always wince when they get reduced to a "hi and die" type thing. Especially when new creations get introduced where obscure characters could potentially be used.

Nothing against Drift.

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I often find myself the one time or the other in the same position where I wonder "Is this a plothole or did I read it and forgot all about it or are they just mentioning it and that's how we know about it but it never happend in a panel?" and actually I'm pretty sure I read every issue, because I had TFWiki opened in the background to make sure I read the comics in the right order.

Strange.

12. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    It happens. We're already looking at seven years of fiction featuring a gigantic cast handled by over half a dozen writers at this point. Add to that, characters rarely getting mentioned posthumously, regardless of their station in life (I don't think anybody's name-dropped Nightbeat since he and Hardhead took their one-way mission to Gorlam Prime in Revelations -- and he was one of if not the Autobots' chief investigative officer). Though, I can understand if this is done to avoid confusion new readers who aren't familiar with the back catalog.

Which is why I was kinda surprised when John Barber cleared the air on Ramjet, Thrust and Deluge in RiD #3.

13. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I don't agree with robots dying. I thought it was stupid as a kid watching the '86 movie, and i think it's stupid now.
    Also the Coneheads were cool characters. Thrust was a noisy braggart, Dirge was creepy and kids loved Ramjet because his name alone implied fun. I still remember that day in spring '85 when i walked into the dept. store expecting to see Snarl still warming the shelf. Instead I saw the whole shelf filled with "new Decepticon planes"! This was a Wednesday, I didn't get money to shop until Saturday. By then only 3 Dirges and a Ramjet were left. Kids didn't see these guys on tv until that fall and still they loved them. Unlike the writers at IDW who don't give a f-ck about them.

14. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I suppose the question is, how do you depict the casualties of a millions-of-years-old war? Do you kill significant characters that will upset people, or generics that feel inconsequential?

15. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

They're not quite robots though - they're non-organic life forms. And life forms are always capable of dying.

16. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, dying robots are stupid. Also, everyone knows that robots shouldn't have fellings or personalities either. I wish IDW would get their act together and just draw pretty pictures of my personal favorite toys every week, looking all badass and stuff. Engaging, relatable stories are for wussies.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Uh, how?

Stuff dies.

Heh-heh.

18. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

:lol  Damn it, why is there no "like" button on these forums?

19. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Yup. Exactly. That's what Transformers was about. In fact, my favorite issue from IDW is (16?) when Brawn happens upon Starscream and Thundercracker and he starts to bend some tail rudders. Just good fun.

The stuff that IDW does is a hack job. Mostly Decepticons dying, members of combiners who have yet to combine (Technobots) being killed off... pretty soon their going to run out of characters to kill. I guess then they'll get all Marvel/DC and start bringing characters back from the dead 2 and 3 times.

If it was the old days and I actually had to walk into a store to buy these comics... I definitely would not be reading this trash. Technology is the only reason why I read IDW and all the other crap that's out there.

20. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    ...He was making fun of you...