So is ANYONE else not collecting "Classics"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Magnus' Mate, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This line (including the original 2006 line, Universe 2.0, Generations and RTS) gets a heck of a lot of love. And to be fair, it's given us some nice-looking figures. I like some of them, I do. But every single one I've owned I've ended up selling on. There's just something about the line as a whole that just "doesn't do it for me".

At one point or another, I've owned every Henkei and Classic release, so I'm not speaking from a position of ignorance.

I'm not out to persuade others of my opinion (hence why I can't be bothered to type out all my reasoning); similarly, I'm not out to be convinced of "what I'm missing" - what I'm curious about is if there are any other folks out there who don't get collect Classics, despite all the gushing for it, and what your reasons are.

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I dont have anything thats not a G1 mold, except MP Prime and the small Armada Optimus as a memory as Armada got me back in.

they look great and I would love to get them but I cant collect everything.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I only have a few Classics-styled figures because I just recently started collecting. Past that, I just don't have the cash to get every single one.

4. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just buy what I like.

Some classics do it for me, others can go die in a fire. Besides the unreasonable amount nostalgic love the fans here give to classics-ish characters (which constitutes a portion of why they're popular with the fans. I mean who the hell would buy that ugly classics ironhide/ratchet mold otherwise?), a good few of them are just great toys in general. For example, they usually don't have a line wide gimmick that's obtrusive.

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    This.

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    People have their own taste of what they like. So it doesn't seem unreasonable when you don't find the attraction to classics. I collect them because I like that kind of Robot aesthetics.

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I'm not really into classics much. the only two I brought from a store was Cheetor and Dinobot. Anything else came from flea markets.

I'll be picking up these when they come out though:
    G2 Prime (Got G2 Megatron loose)
    Warpath (I'm using it for Animated)
    Wreckgar (Just looks cool to me)

If they would do more Beast Era characters, I'd go broke buying them.

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Actually, before playing catch-up a couple months ago, I did pretty much ignore them. I was really into the realistic and intricate movie related stuff, as well as the stylish Animated, so classics felt rather boring.

All of that changed when I decided to have classics as my core collection and largely reduce the rest to Legends.

9. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I barely count as a collector with this crowd, but I do own 3 classics atm and have intentions toward 3 more in the near future. The BiS set(for the Cyclonus) was the first transformer I have bought at retail since 1986. I have very few pieces in my collection and tend toward higher-ticket Japanese robots from other franchises, so you could say the G1 goodness of the classics line lured me back to an interest in inexpensive mass-market toys. Having not played around with a retail transformer for so long I have to say the engineering is pretty impressive for the price point. Paint apps could be better though.

And Magnus' Mate, if you had to buy every Henkei/Classics release to figure out that you don't like the line, you can hardly blame the toys for that can you?

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics through the current Generations/RTS have been the only line where I've wanted everything besides some select repaints, breaking my general rule of non-completionism. Some pull off updating an older form of a character well, while some not so much, but most have great engineering, matching the current level of complexity in transformation and articulation from other retail lines out at the time. That's why I like the "classics" line so much.

To the OP, you said that the figures just don't do it for you, and that's fine, but is there specific reasons? What qualities are you looking for in Transformers that these are lacking?

11. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Moar for me, yes/no?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At One time I did not own any classics because G1 was just the best in my opinion. It wasn't until I got my hands on Henkei Prime that my mind changed.

Now, G1 is LONG GONE (SOLD) and I had more than enough cash to buy up all the Classics figures I wanted.

13. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

My collection is predominantly comprised of Classics and G1 figures. Why get anything else?

14. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I buy what I like...and I like alot, including Classics :) 

But don't worry about it..if you just can't get into something, that's perfectly fine, right? Hopefully other lines have what you are looking for! :) 

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I get that.

I like the aesthetic contrast between Animated and Movieverse. You line up some Animated figures and they just compliment each other so well. There's just a very strong stylistic unity tying everything together. The same is true of movie figures (though it's a bit more uneven).

With classics, there just doesn't seem to be that singular vision. It's all a bit of a mishmash. Some look like a hangover from the Unicron trilogy, others lean towards movie stylings. Some are largely faithful to the original cartoon, while others go off in their own very different direction.

But they are generally better toys, IMO.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm focused on Classics right now because if i don't.

I'm going to regret it down the road. I'm Looking at you Hardhead.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've always wondered how new fans have been able to jump on to Classics style figures because it's not the easiest thing Hasbro makes to collect.

If you decided hey I want to collect GI Joe then Hasbro is always putting out Snake Eyes, Duke, Destro, Cobra Commander or reissuing things like the Blue Shirts and Vipers.

Star Wars is always repeating popular characters so it's not just one shot at ever getting someone like Darth Vader, Boba Fett, or Clone Trooper Rex.

Marvel has all sorts of ways to pick up a character you might have missed even if it means having to get a comic book pack or a boxed set.

But it seems like if you miss something from the Transformers Classics style lines and that's it you are out of luck and having to hit things like the auction sites in the hope one will come up at a reasonable price. It's kind of like you get one deluxe Classics Ironhide and that's it no new Ironhide down the road if you missed it or didn't like it.

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    To all those who do not collect classics I have a question.

Which series/movie got you in to Transformers?

I think if you have no love for G1 classics won't do it for you.

Personally I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I love classics but hate the movie stuff and there are those who love the movie stuff and hate classics. No one is wrong here because I buy figures for me and you buy them for you. But if you would like to buy me a figure make it a non movie figure please lol.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

19. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Precisely why I feel extremely lucky for being lured into the fandom when I did in late 2008, thanks to City Commander. I can't imagine what it would be like now trying to hunt down all those Henkei figures, not to mention prior Fansproject toys which seems to have a shelf life of no more than a few months.

20. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

By and large I find the classics look rather dated and boring.

Lots of blocky bodies, dull expressionless faces and recycled designs. Got a generations thrust and didn't like him at all. Got a universe prowl and he put me to sleep. Animated & movie toys have spoiled me and now I expect my transformers to, like, look interesting.

Having said that, some of the CHUGGERS are gems, mostly the newer ones that show some personality, like kup, wreck-gar & scourge.