Heavy/Scratch: So im trying to do a latex mask for Halloween

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Napjr, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well not really, since its next week and lots of work needs to be done

didnt really know where to post this thread since its not a custom, kitbash or toy...

Either way im trying to make a full Freddy Krueger costume (as well a Jason later down the road, i got a Sega cosplay mask and fixing) to wear and for my collection, and since all the available masks are, well, craptascular, i decided to make my own

Of course thereĀ“s a few custom masks available on the net (wich seriously kick ass!!!), but i cant really aford em (most are over $150 and very limited runs)

One of the movies i liked the most of the NOES movies, was the New Nightmare (although technically its not Freddy Krueger), for the overall look. So i took a styrofoam female head and started to add clay until the overall dimensions were close to my head/neck. Then started to sculpt to match Robert Englund face. Later started the overall detail

Keep in mind its still a WIP, and i need to figure how to smooth all the surfaces to make it look more like skin. Also i dont know how to make the mold (well i know, ive read several tutorials, but i dont know what kind of materials i can find locally)

Btw, this is the first time i make a real sized sculpture (the others being my kitbashes), so what ya think uh?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Wow, just wow!

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

You can smooth the surfaces using alcohol and a soft paintbrush.

I also wouldn't try to make this as one whole mask, you should do several small sections that can be glued to your face seperately.

As for the mold, you're going to probably make it out of silicone, then pour your laxtex into those silicone molds. To cover the whole head in silicone would be hella-expensive as well as trying to get the latex t come out right.

If you were to go that route, I don't seee you getting done in a week.

As for cheap alternatives that would be available to you locally, I'm not sure. I've heard of people using silicone caulk to make molds before, but I've never tried.

Your sculpting is looking good, I hope your mask comes out ok whatever you end up doing.

4. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    alcohol uh? gotta try that!

Silicone woudl be extremely expensive for a life sized head/mask. I read somewhere that plaster could work, but i would need to make some tests before (im gonna do a forearm too)

Im going with the whole mask route because otherwise, it wouldnt look good, plus my main plan is to make a whole display prop, but not exactly for halloween, cus Obviously needs lots of work ;)