So, I'm the "computer tech" in the family now...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rodimus Prime, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've got to go visit a relative tomorrow to take care of some spyware-related issues. Since they're not the most... tech savy of people, that's really all I know that I'm getting into.

So my question is, what should I be prepared for aside from installing Spybot and AVG and then running them in safemode to clear out the parasites? I ask because, and this will sound arrogant, I'm no longer dumb enough to get a crapload of viruses on my computer, so my last experience with this kind of problem happened when Windows 95 was popular.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

do the whole bit, spybot, virus scanner, malware scanner...and to tell you the truth, if they dont have anything important on the computer, it might be easier to just reformat.

3. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

might wanna get a registry cleaner as well just to help it run a bit quicker but sounds like u r on the right track with runnning Spybot and AVG in safe mode.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I was about to suggest this. If the computer in question is totally screwed with Spyware, and you don't have anything important stored on it, it would probably be easier to reinstall Windows on it. Make sure you have all the drivers for it first, of course.

5. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

When you're done, walk over to the phone list on the refrigerator and cross out your name and number. Trust me on this one.

6. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

It's all going to depend on how tenacious the spyware is. If it all gets cleared out by AVG and Spybot then a reformat isn't necessary. If it's some of the more malicious ones though they each have an individual procedure, often involving alot of annoying steps to get rid of them, so a reformat in that case would be easier if possible.

7. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

This... It is so frustrating dealing with my families computer issues.
    I refuse to do it anymore. I love my family, but well..

I wish I could find the clip of it... But if you watch the Simpsons, in the spring cleaning episode, when the house is finally clean, Marge is happy and the kids and Homer are exhausted. They walk into the kitchen, the kitchen is sparkling clean, the door swings shut then swings open again, and it's worse than when it started.
    Yeah, thats my family after fixing their computers.

8. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Finally fixed it, well mostly. They're having connection problems but I can't find anything wrong with it, and everything points towards it being an issue with Cox.

On the bright side, I heard such awesome quotes as "Well, a thing popped up in the middle of the screen saying my computer was open to viruses and to protect it for only $59.99, so I clicked it and put in my credit card number..."

9. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I hate being the tech guy in my family. My parents and grandparents have no clue how to use a computer. They constantly have spyware or viruses on their computers. On the phone with my mom now... :banghead: 

10. OmegaScourge

Is that their internet provider?

and one thing i do notice when it has connection/IE/FF issues, its usually a malware still causing issues.

and you did let them know that they should get the card cancelled now right...

11. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

I know how that feels... i'm always being called when there's a pc problem in my family. The last time was to clean a laptop i loaned my sister....

bad thing is i'll probably have to clean it again in a few weeks

12. OmegaScourge

one thing i made my litle cousins buy is a router...that way, if they do screw it up, i still am able to get on the net with my laptop.

13. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    *Facepalm*

Some people just shouldn't be allowed an internet connection - they're just not safe with them.