So, I'm pretty new at this whole comic thing... D:

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by OhMyGosh, Dec 7, 2011.

1. OhMyGosh

OhMyGosh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where do I start? I've found the whole set of AHM online for decent amount, is there a good place to start, work my way up to the IDW stuff, then MTMTE? I'm kinda clueless about comic books and am wanting to get into collecting them :)  Thanks

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You can start pretty much wherever you want, provided it's not in the centre of a storyarc.

Want to go for the classic Marvel comics? There's a few reprint versions, a quick search for previous threads will tell you all about them. There's the UK exclusive stuff too, but that can be harder to find.

Dreamwave comics? Hard to find, and they kind of end abruptly, but might be up your alley if you want more "traditional" looking G1 characters.

Movieverse? IDW G1 Universe? All of the side-universes like the GI Joe Crossovers, Hearts of Steel, etc.?

3. OhMyGosh

OhMyGosh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm, I'd probably steer clear of the side universes and movieverse to be honest. Bayformers are not my favourite. Thanks for the advice ;) 

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I loved the Dreamwave comics, that's where I started. There's like the generation one stuff and War Within.

5. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    If you're interested in IDW, then I'd start at IDW's starting point:
    The Transformers: Infiltration - Transformers Wiki

Stories from one publishing house generally don't make the leap from one publisher to the next. So even though Marvel, Dreamwave, and IDW have all had G1 books, they are all stories independent from each other.

6. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    The exception of course will most likely be the new TF Regeneration One from IDW which will continue or mostly continue from Marvel's continuity.

7. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just started with Transformers comics last year, my first being Last Stand of the Wreckers (the BEST TF comic- in my opinion). I then went to the "beginning" of the IDW-verse with the IDW Collection series. They are nice hard cover books that collect the comics in a suggested reading order. For the amount of comics you get per book they are very reasonably priced (on Amazon they are around $30 each). IDW is also re-releasing the classic Marvel US and UK comics, with the first volumes of each out now (which will be my "secret" Christmas gift from the wife). Also, the tfwiki is a great source to learn about which books were released and info about each one. Good luck!

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IIRC, one of the IDW press releases said that it wasn't necessary to have read all the stuff that came before to get into the two upcoming ongoing series, More Than Meets the Eye and/or Robots in Disguise, so you may want to wait to jump in until those series begin and just go from there. But definitely go pick up Last Stand of the Wreckers from IDW. It is in-continuity, but can be easily read and understood without knowing all the continuity that was going on at the time. LSotW is (sadly) about the only truly great thing IDW has done with the license, IMO, and one of the best TF comics overall.