So, I'm playing web of shadows

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Molini, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

Haven't heard anyone else discussing this on here in a while beyond the thread about the trailer.

Anyway, I read IGN's horrible review before playing this and I was going into this game expecting the worst...far from it. While I agree that there are elements that can become quite repetitious, they mostly involve destroying a butt load of enemies with some sick ass moves and a seemless change between red and black costume with unique moves and abilities for each respectively.

To be completely honest, the only thing I really can't stand about this game is the voice of spiderman. The story doesn't make sense? What exactly doesn't make sense? Venom has found a way to make the symbiote replicate via symbiote pods and the city is crawling after a while with some very creepy looking symbiote creatures varying in size and threat level. The sybiote always wants hosts and wants to reproduce sort of like the "Aliens" franchise but with dialogue for the main Alien. There is some really cool Spider sense features for identifying those who have been infected with the symbiote that I thought worked very well.

Being able to call on other heroes or villians (depending on the decisions you make in the game determines whether you call on heroes or villains) to assist you in battle is a nice touch. However, I hear that this feature is only specific to PS3 and Xbox360 and that the Wii has a costume unlockable feat. to make up for it. Costumes for the Wii include Carnage and the Iron Spider costume as well as Ben Reilly (Scarlet Spider?), these are unavailable for 360 and PS3 apparently, although I cannot confirm this beyond what I've heard and read.

There are some really slick looking abilities that each costume possesses that you should find enjoyable. Fighting on walls is SICK! There is something very creepy about seeing average looking citizens who have been infected crawling up buildings in arachnid type postures.

I'm really enjoying this game so far, and I suggest anyone who's been influenced by IGN to stay away from it at least give it a rental and see what the fuss is about. I'm glad I did. I will be wary of IGN reviews from here on out as I thought this was a very unfair review with respect to what they complained about and what I have experienced.

For those who are playing it, what do you think so far?

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

I have been turned off mostly by two things.

1. The black suit's powers. When Spider-man wore the black suit it was just that, a black suit. No tentacles or anything like that. Although I guess it makes sense based off what Venom has made the suit do -it's just not what I want to see.

2. Exploring Spider-man's dark side. When I was reading comics, Spider-man didn't really have a dark side. It was an interesting thing, really. Wolverine and Punisher's popularity were rising. Heroes everywhere were getting all angsty and hard edged. But Spider-man was just above it all. For whatever reason he always did the right thing and he always had funny quips that were always light in tone.
    Now that everyone is sick of anti-heroes Marvel seems hell-bent to turn Peter Parker into one.

3. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I don't have a Wii, but If I get one, I may have to get this game just to check out the Iron Spidey suit. I love that look.

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i got it and yeah, i'm likin it!

i read the review too and maybe lowered my expectations, but it is pretty enjoyable

i think the only thing i really have a problem with is the webbing sometimes shoots into the sky, but its not that big a deal i guess. he still swings, i still go where i want :p 

i dont mind Peter's voice so much. sometimes it sounds kinda off but then most the time it fits i think

i just started act 3. hopefully this act is kind of a long one because i really enjoy seeing the tore up New York with symbiote stuff hangin off the buildings and what not

its not something you see every day in a spidey game so its quite cool IMO!

but yeah. i'm diggin the game!
    its fun. the story's not super deep but it provides action packed fun :D 

5. Molini

Be that as it may, yeah I remember that too, I always argued that Spidey should have been able to use tentacles back in the day if Venom was able to. Looks like I got my wish. Which takes me into number 2 below
    We're definitely in an age where as a society we have grown desensitized of violent behavior to the point that its actually embraced in pop culture more than ever when it involves standing up to a more powerful force or entity, heck even if its just for the hell of it in some cases. For many, I think it represents that dormant caged animal that exists in all of us that we suppress due to the ramifications that can result from our actions if we let it out.

Games like GTA or Characters like Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Punisher and Sylar from Heroes all allow their fans to live somewhat vicariously through those actions that we never would be able to go through with because we can't and aren't willing to cross those lines that they will.

There's definitely an audience there for it, and the days of the milktoast Superhero may be gone in favor of those who have decided to grow a pair rather than do some moral decision making. But I agree that Peter just doesn't seem to fit this profile, however, having a symbiote attached to you that accentuates all your aggressive qualities is a great excuse to justify and experiment with a part of him that IMO should exist...because no one, not even Uncle Ben's nephew is perfect and without a darkside. All it takes is for another close loved one to meet their demise by someone else's hand to set you off.

I would love to see more of Dark Peter in the future so long as its written right and there's some great epiphany Peter has that brings him back to the light eventually.

I hear this often. I say if we all got over Optimus Prime's trailer disappearing in G1 then we can get over this little mishap;) 

I mean I never really remember the Hulk just running straight up buildings before his game (ultimate destruction), but damn it was cool.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  6. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Why would anyone let IGN make up their mind for them?

7. Molini

Why indeed^^^^^

It happens though. I knew a few people, after asking them about this game, who said, "I was looking forward to it, but then I read IGN's review and they're usually very accurate with their reviews so I think I'll pass on this."

See. For some they've just come to trust a critic's judgement so much over time that their opinion can be the deciding factor in whether or not they invest time and money into something.

It happens with Music reviews, movie reviews...pretty much anything marketable. I'm certain specific movie, music, video games and other influential critics even get paid off at times to provide positive reviews of a highly anticipated product. Some might even get paid to give negative reviews.

The great 19th century businessman P.T. Barnum was notorious for giving himself, his museums and shows negative reviews under annonymous names to encite curiosity. He was a firm believer and practicioner of the notion that "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

I'm not suggesting this game got bad reviews on purpose, I just like talkin history sometimes;) . I think the IGN critics of this game were sincere in their reviews.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  8. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Easy pass for me I will wait for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    The only reviews I listen to are from X-play (Yes, I'm the minority). They are usually very accurate when it comes to games I want to play. Spider-Man 3 for the Wii got a 1 out of 5, I played it and hated it. Spidey 3 for the PS3/360 got a 3 out of 5, a rental or for big fans only. i play it and I like it cause it gave me what I wanted.

10. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    IGN's the only big-name reviewer I've seen give this game a bad review, anyways. Gamespot, who I often think is overly critical on games, gave Web of Shadows an 8/10.