So i'm going to Scotland for my b-day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Recall, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I've just been given a part of my birthday present a little early (my b-day is on the 6th April) and my Girlfriend has booked a hotel for us for 2 nights in Edinburgh. We go this Friday morning.

And we're just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places to go, or things to make sure we look at etc while we are there. Or a must visit restaurant or place to avoid etc

Also whats a traditional Scottish breakfast? i'm not to expect haggis and whisky am i? :D 

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Paging Boardwise... he took us to some pretty spiff places!

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Depending on what kind of music you like, last time I went there was a club called... the Hangar I think?? It was an awesome metal night anyway.

4. inferno4565

inferno4565 Master of Mudkips

I was born in Edinburgh, so I know my way around. I can't really suggest alot. When you go you'll wanna see everything. HOWEVER, I recommend Arthur's Seat, awesome area.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahhh Edinburgh.
    My home town.

Anyway, places you should visit would defiantly be the castle (you can't really miss it)
    Even if you just go up to the castle esplanade it's a must see.
    You can also see the castle from Princess Street which is full of shops, and there are Princess Street Gardens on the opposite side to the shops.

A traditional Scottish breakfast is much like a English breakfast including bacon, eggs, sausage slice, tattie scone and usually a slice of haggis slice.

I would recommend going to a place called Monster Mash for eats. Some good and decent priced food there. Though it is small and can get busy fast. Might be wise booking.
    Forrest Rd, Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh EH1, United Kingdom - Google Maps

If the weather is nice I would suggest a visit to the Scottish Parliament building and you'll also see Arthur's Seat

For drinks, if you are looking, then the Grassmarket might be a good place.
    Plenty of pubs around there.
    There is also a place called The Pear Tree, which is a pretty good place, however it can get busy.

There are tour busses around Edinburgh that might be handy for you as they'll take you round the city.
    I think they are a case of paying your fair then you can hop on and off as many time you want during the day.
    The leave from just outside Waverley train station

If you are wanting to geek out a bit, then I'd suggest a visit to the Edinburgh branch of Forbidden Planet. Course do be mindful of the prices.

One last thing to note is that Edinburgh is in the middle of having tram lines installed which means there will be traffic disruptions and road works all over the city.

Also, how are you getting there and do you know where you are staying? I might be able to suggest ways to get there.

Anything else and just ask and I'll try and help.

You need to go back and visit the Spaniard and time it for when I am there :D 

6. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    If you were coming the following weekend you could have seen my mate's 'Rock Band Extravaganza'. He's hired The Village pub, we're all coming in Rock God outfits, appropriate for our chosen songs. For a finale, four of us are thinking of doing the Chili's socks on cocks!

Boardwise has pretty much covered it all, I'm up in Aberdeen, but spend a lot of time in Edin, I'll move when I get round to it, been saying that for a couple of years though!

I second Monster Mash, great place, can't believe they've never expanded elsewhere.

What do you think of the trams Boardwise? Useful addition to public transport, or useless waste of public money?

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Thanks very much Boardwise for all the fantastic information, we both appreciate it. We had no idea that new public transport was getting put in, which has now petrified my girlfriend as we are going to drive from here to there and the thought of all the extra traffic has made her a little more nervous.

We are staying at a place called Alison House, its real close to the Castle. Is it difficult to navigate around that area?

We are going to add a trip to Scottish Parliment Building/Arthur's seat for sure :) 

8. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't haven't lived in Edinburgh for a couple of years, but my family are there so I do visit so I can't really comment on the tram works.

Actually, looking at where the place you are staying is it looks as if you won't have trouble with the tram works. The area is really only concentrated in the centre of town and away from where you are staying (Princess Street, Leith Street, Elm Row and beyond) So I doubt you'll have trouble with extra traffic.
    I would suggest leaving the car when you are going about. Means your girlfriend can relax a bit as well.

From the web site of Allison House it's all a straight road, so shouldn't have a problem there. Are you using a SatNav to get there?

I would, however, say that there claim of only a 15minute walk from the place to the castle is a bit of an exaggeration. Though there are plenty of buses that will take you near (#33, 31, 7 spring to mind) and all should pass along that road.

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Yeah we are using SatNav to get there, but as we were expected roadworks and that a SatNav doesn't compensate for that, we didn't want to get lost. But if the road works shouldn't affect us then thats great.

Thanks for the bus numbers, its quite useful to know if we end up a distance away from the hotel and need to get back.

We're gonna be leaving the car at the guest house and then be going to places mostly by public transport, taxi's or walking as it saves on the inconvience of finding a place to park and of course lets you take in the most :) 

I'm really looking forward to it, we both are and it should be a nice change of pace from working. Hopefully get plenty of photos I can bore our friends with :D 

10. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hopefully your SatNav will take you off the A1 around Newcraighall and that way you'll miss the majority of the road works.

Anything else and I'll try and help.

Hope you guys have a great time there.

11. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Have a good time in Edinburgh, my gran lives over there while I live just outside Glasgow to the west

12. One

One Well-Known Member

Heh that's some birthday present, good luck man and have lots of fun.

13. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Thank you, and yes its one awesome gift :) 

14. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, how was it?
    Inquiring minds want to know!

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Lucky dog... I wish I could go to Scotland...

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hope you had a good time.

17. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

AGH!! You are so lucky! I really want to go to Scotland. Like bad. If you never post again we'll assume that you got eaten by the Loch Ness monster.

18. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    We got back last night, and it was............amazing. Hand on heart incredible.

I've never had such a fun time in a city as beautiful as Edinburgh, with so much to do and look at. Hell we enjoyed going to the top of Scott Mount and wasting away the time just staring into the distance. Honestly I don't think we've ever come accross such a great looking city - we loved it so much we found it damn near impossible to leave, lol.

The journey there was great with no problems what so ever and it was awesome to see so much open countryside along with having great weather that day. We did Camera Obscura that day, which I recommend and spent the rest of the time walking and taking an endless amount of photos :) 

Edinburgh castle was top notch on the Saturday, even with the crap weather, we got there real early just as it opened and spent about 4 hours there. Lots to see and kept us occupied. Dragoon Guards is possibly the coolest name ever. We got the audio guides and while it was fun to use at the start became a little annoying as we just wanted to read things ourself and take it all in, our way.

Did some whisky shopping and even went to Forbidden Planet (I got Movie Salvage and Animated Lockdown :D ) and went to some outstanding resturants in the evenings. An italian place called Zivvi, which I strongly recommend also. The city was so peaceful and relaxing, along with everyone being so nice. Even a taxi driver said to us why were we using his taxi and not the buses, and gave us a mini tour on our way back to our hotel one evening, which was pretty cool of him.

Sunday morning while driving home we saw the sea/ocean/whatever and wanted to get close to it and ended up at a place simply called Cove and that too was beautiful, words can't do that place justice. Such clear water.

Thank you for the suggestions on the buses, they were perfect and were indeed the best way to get about but even with them we walked a hell of a lot, with our eyes struggling to take it all in.

Last year I went to NYC with friends, this year Edinburgh and its no joke when I say Edinburgh > NYC, thats how much fun we had and how awesome it is :) 

19. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glad you had a good time.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

NYC has better restaurants and Comic shops, but otherwise, bang on old bean.