So I'm going to Disney World.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liokaiser, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I'm leaving on saturday with the family for a week at Disney. :D  I've haven't been there before so I was wondering what are the things I have to do? Anyone here been to Disney World?

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    it's pretty cool. I was only there for a day in the off season, which was great because the lines were short. space mountain scared the hell out of me though, because if you can imagine being on a roller coaster in the dark, everytime it dropped I thought I was going to get decapitated by some loose cable hanging down. I can't remember much else, other than that you should go on "it's a small world after all" just to see what people make fun of all the time.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Went there on my honeymoon. It's alot more fun than I expected. I recommend "Downtown Disney" for shopping and stuff. If you like games, definately check out disney quest there. There's a cool Disney store in Downtown Disney that has a good amount of Transformers. :D 

I also recommend the Star Wars ride, if just for the awesome setup outside. You should have no shartage of activites. Hope you all have a blast.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Bring me the head of Mickey!

5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Rides that I personally enjoyed were the Aerosmith ride, Space Mountain, splash mountain, haunted mansion, that alien ride, the movie ride, star wars, the indiana jones show, honey i shrunk the audience, and the ride where it takes you on a test drive for an automobile. Oh and the hall of presidents as well. Oh and the new one that makes you believe your flying. Damn I wish i could go!

6. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Let's see-- I've been there a few times. Here's what I can remember (Highlights based on parks):

MAGIC KINGDOM:

You'll want to spend a lot of time here, there's a lot of cool rides and stuff. I recommend Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean.

MGM STUDIOS:

My personal favorite! Try Tower of Terror and The Great Movie Ride.

EPCOT:

TestTrack and Mission: Space are the highlights here. Not much else unless you're into that "World Pavillion" stuff.

ANIMAL KINGDOM:

This place was pretty boring when I was there. But I hear that it's undergone several changes!

7. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    anything in the Magic Kingdom rules. I haven't been to the other parks yet but I've been told Epcot is great too.

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bang Cinderella for us...

9. PavingMantis

PavingMantis I have pincers...PINCERS!

MGM- The Aerosmith ride, I think it's called the Rockin Roller Coaster or something. Tower of Terror of course. The Muppet show if your a fan is pretty funny. I wish I could have seen the Car Stunt Show there, I've seen footage of it, and those guys can do some crazy stuff with cars.

EPCOT has some good stuff. The Test track is pretty cool. And their new ride Soarin is neat too. I personally enjoy the different nation stuff, as sanatized as it is (Hey this is Disney World, not a library... I don't go there to write reports.) Not a big Ellen fan, but I thought her ride/movie thing was funny. I got out of the heat for 40 mins or so atleast.

Magic Kingdom - The Haunted Mansion is a classic, along with everything else mentioned.

Animal Kingdom - A lot of live action stuff here, if you enjoy dancing and junk like that. Not to many rides I can remember, but visually it's very cool... my girlfriend liked the place a lot.

The firework shows at night are pretty sweet too... check them all out if you can, if not do Epcot, or Magic Kingdom for sure.

Ultimately, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about rushing around to all these things... take your time, and enjoy the place. Most everything, even the little dinky shows are a great time.

10. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

The Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom is pretty sweet and the German Buffet is really good at Epcot haha.

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been to the parks as a visitor over 75 times and even did a little stint working for The Rat as a musician during college. Needless to say, the "Disney magic" is <b>really</b> lost on me. :lol  Assuming you're wanting to really see as much as you possibly can, the best bits of advice I can give you are:

Get maps online for each of the parks you plan to visit, print them, then scope out the things you really want to see and the stuff you don't care about. You will waste most of your day blindly wandering about if you don't, and you might not get to see everything you'd like (which in my mind equates to wasted $$). Plan for where you'd like to eat and organize your route so you get there at the right time. Call ahead for reservations if you're going to a restaurant.

Check the hours of the park you're going to for the day you're going - they change all the time. <u>Get there when they open and walk to the back of the park, then work your way toward the front.</u> It will be noon before you hit any heavy crowds, because everybody else just goes to the first thing past the gate. Also check for the closing time and plan to make one of the fireworks shows - the one at EPCOT is my favorite. Each of the parks can have a different opening and closing time.

Disclaimer: all the planning tips/suggestions above are out the window if you're bringing children, though!

The toy store at Downtown Disney is Once Upon a Toy and is usually stocked with a fairly decent (if overpriced) selection of TFs. Enjoy yourself, and thanks for supporting the local economy! :D 

12. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I went for 2 weeks last year on honeymoon. I swear, the best time to go is the week of labor day. Starting tuesday, there is NO ONE THERE! I literally walked onto every ride.

Anyway, here's the list.
    Majic Kingdom Rides
    Big Thunder Mountain - my favorite.
    Splash Mountain - 2 story drop, SPLASH.
    Space mountain - A ride where you wonder how it can still work while it creaks as you go really fast with sharp turns.
    Stitch Escape - Actually very fun. Chilli Dog, yum.
    And because everyone must suffer...It's a Small World

Kingdom Attractions
    Hall of presidents, Tiki Room, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Carosel Of Progress (the song wuill be in your head for the rest of the day until you go on Splash Mountain, then that one will be until you go on Small World)

MGM Studios
    Rockin' Roller Coaster - LOVED IT! You go 0-60 in like 2 seconds with Aerosmith blasting in your ear.
    Tower of Terror - I HATED this ride. HATED! If you are a fear junkie, you'll love it. I'm a pussy though.
    Star Tours - Just a fun ride
    Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular - This was awesome. I actually got to be in it with my wife. Tons of fun. Also bought a bullwhip!
    Light, Camera, Action - Fantastic stunt show where they show you how they do all those really cool car scenes.
    Backstage Tour - Nice to see stuff behind the scenes

Epcot
    Surprisingly we spent a great deal of time here.
    World Showcase - nice place to enjoy various shopping and food from around the world. May I suggest the French restaraunt. They have GREAT food and the one waitress we had was simply georgous and extremely friendly. (To bad I was on honeymoon) I KID!!!
    Test Track - MY FAVORITE RIDE EVER! It really is a GM testing facility. And it goes like 65 MPH, the second fastest thing I was on in Disney.
    Mission Space - My other favorite ride in the place. It's actually designed by NASA and you definately feel like you are in space. Also a fun fact, only ride ever to have barf bags. Nausia beware!
    Soarin' - Also extremely fun. Very realistic ride of hanggliding. You actually feel like you are flying. When I rode it the first time, I kept lifting my feet because iwas afraid they would hit the trees. For the first time, Iwas also i nthe first row. If you are in the other 2, the realistic aspect gets lost as you see people's feet dangling above you.

Animal Kingdom
    It's a big zoo. That's about it. Still nice though.

Blizzard beach and Typhoon Lagoon are also eztremely fun waterparks. I recomment Blizzard beach for the fastest ride in the land. It's called Summit Plummit and it's a giant waterslide that's 120 ft high and straight down. My top speed, 66 mph. They have a speedometer at the bottom.

Downtown Disney is the shopping area. It's a nice place to relax for a while and just shop. Pretty much has everything the other shops in the parks do but all in one spot. Also they have some exclusive stores and regular places like Virgin, a movie theater, and planet hollywood. Also they have Pleasure island which is open until 2am for adults to unwind. Circ de Sole (or however it's spelled) is also in Downtown Disney.

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Get drunk at Epcot! That's what I did, and I'm fucking ******ed. Still, it was fun staggering around during the fireworks at the end of the day.

14. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Thanks for the tips guys you rock. :rock  It seems like I'm going to hit the Magic Kingdom and MGM Studios hard. :D 

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Never been. Always wanted to go though. Will be go eventually after I have a couple grand to spare. Which will probably be never.
    They have all the cool rides.

16. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Get drunb, go on Mission Space. Should be a blast.

17. TOM

TOM From one hood to Yours

Ebay:
    You have more than DIzzyworld to see. Theres Sea World, Universal Studios, MGM Sucks to me. Lots of Souvenir places in Kissimmee (sp) & Orlando. This is the best time to go too if you don't like lines. The attractions aren't really to busy. I've been in Winter and Summer and would go in Winter anyday. Check out the Kenedy Space Center while there too. And if you wanna take a little drive, Go to Miami. Its about 4 hrs away. Take plenty of pics and post them so everyone can see how funny looking you are. Have a Good time.

18. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

I was there once back in 1989, to visit Epcot while I was in Boot Camp. I'm heading back with my family in early April for a work conference. It's gonna be spendy, but fun for the whole family.

19. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Just one piece of advice, nring lots of money if you want to eat anywhere in or around Didney.

20. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I should go... My cousin works for Disney World, and as such gets himself and family members in totally free. I mean everything...totally free.

There's just that one little problem...driving 1,000+ friggin' miles to go look at a moron with a giant mouse head for a company uniform. Yeah, sign me up.

I do hope you enjoy it though, I'm just the type who does *not* like Amusement Parks. Ironically, they fail to do what they claim. Amuse.