So I was watching Bay's "The Island" last night...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Voiceroy, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    ...and I thought it was actually a decent action flick. Sure, it could've used a full, slow pan of Scarlett Johansen's naked breasts, but...eh, you can't have everything.

And the movie was unnecessarily too long, but those action scenes were great. I gotta give Bay props that he knows how to shoot a damn fine action sequence.

If he can pull out all the stops on the TF movie and top the action sequences he's shot previously, it might still be worthwhile even if the plot sucks, or the dialog sucks, or the humans take up too much screen time.

I'd also like to challenge a TF fan out there skilled in video editing to make a TFTM trailer with footage from "The Island." There are already two possibilities:

- The truck that Steve Buscemi's character drives looks not unlike a smaller version of the flaming Prime alt mode as seen in pics from the TF movie set.

- With a little creative photoshopping, the artsy "R" logo that crashes off the side of the building in one of the biggest action scenes could be modified to form the movie title "TRANSFORMERS".

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I thought The Island was pretty good too. I watched the commentary and all of the special features on the DVD just to get a feel for how he thinks as a director. As far as the actual directing goes, I think he can do a great job with TransFormers. That doesn't mean all of his decisions about the story will be good, but whatever story we get will at least look awesome. One thing that I do find encouraging is that when he doesn't know about a subject that's involved in the story (medicine, technological issues, etc.), he finds someone who does to advise him on it instead of just going ahead with whatever.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, sure. if theres one thing bay can do, its action flicks. duh.

the question is, can he do a thoughtful action flick?

4. Illusion

Illusion Well-Known Member

With Bay at the wheel? I quite doubt it. Not expecting it either. It's going to be a standard Hollywood fest with lots of cool action shots, awesome (I hope) looking CGI transformations and animated robots and (sigh) a cheesy, angsty teenage romance - yeah, the nauseating kind with no real depth.

It's gonna be the kind of movie you go to see when you feel like shutting down most of your brain, while taking in lots of senseless (but cool, entertaining looking) action and violence.

The action and the quality of the CGI Transformers might end up outweighing the (doubtlessly) cheesy plot and vomit-inducing teenage romance (that's bound to steal way too much precious time away from the cool CGIformers and their conflict), so depending on how inviting the movie will seem to me come 07. 04. 07, maybe I'll see it in the cinemas. Big maybe.

I plan to rent it if I won't end up watching it in the theater - if anything then to at least get to see giant transforming CGI robots :D 

5. OmegaVPrimus

OmegaVPrimus Well-Known Member

The one thing Iam looking forward to in this movie is to see how well planned out the action scene's are.

Reall I want to see thing's I havent seen the first time I watched it.
    I hope that the TF's will take up more of the screen time, but after watching pearl harbour, that could be a bleak possibilitie.

And the only thing I truly dislike is the age appealing in this movie......I really wanted to here a little bit of cussing's from the TF's....well mainly the Decepticon's...but I mean age appealance is what might brake this film, if not for the cheesie-teen love-scene's.

I wish I could do some trailer work and make a homemade tf trailer but....I dont think I have the software to do it!(-_-) But if someone can give me some advice on a cheap photosuite I will make one!

6. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

If there is one thing Michael Bay can deliver...it's an action flick!
    That's what I know he'll deliver, and that's what I'm going to see it for.
    This is a summer movie, folks. Anybody hoping for anything more...I think they'll be sorely disappointed.
    I guess we should just be glad that they're coming to the big screen finally, even if the plot/storyline might suck.

7. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    War of the Worlds, Pirates, Spider Man... all of those are big summer action movies and I loved em :)  Big summer blockbuster doesn't always = the retarded levels of The Marine or White Chicks or something equally dumb. And I'd rather it be a quality summer flick than a pretentious film festival snoozer :p 

I don't know if its just Bay or if its the scripts he's given to work with, because ALOT of the story is in the screenplay.... but I wouldn't say that he just makes generic action movies. I'd give him a little more credit, I mean to me at least he defines the look and energy of a modern summer action blockbuster and there are many who imitate his style but never capture the soul of what hes doing.

I dunno, the only one of his movies that I thought outright sucked was Pearl Harbor, only because it was more of a chick flick than the Saving Private Ryan in the sun I was promised. I really think we Transformers fans should feel so LUCKY that we got such a competent director. They could have easily given us Boll/Anderson and $50 million bucks.

8. OmegaVPrimus

OmegaVPrimus Well-Known Member

lol! Boll ...yeah no kidding, well I like your reasoning and know I think I will be contempt to know the budget is well worth the wait...140mill plus eaqch robot hitting an outstanding 500,000 a peice! That's alot of prop work!

But I will say one thing, I wish that this take's into a more TF route though....I mean more action! People getting hurt and decepticon's running free through the citie to find the matrix......Matrix yeah I think that's what they are looking for in the movie.....remember the bit about buff refering to and artifact to the TF on that access hollywood thing! Cool :D 

But alot of destruction and then in the distance.....a horn and a big rumble and bam apeterbilt smashe's into the side of a building..then amist the chaos a weird noise the truck desperse's into an aray ofpart's shifting and grinding into a robotic shape! It;s optimus here to stop the decepticon's. That's what Iam talking about lol!

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

It was a good movie. I liked it.