So I was in Boston Last Week.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Baccala1976, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

And there is a Convention Center right in the middle of the Back Bay area. I think this would be a great place for Botcon next year and here are my reasons:

1: Great neighborhood in Boston.
    2: A Westin and Marriot both connect directly to the Center.
    3: Plenty of bars and resturants on Boylston street where the convention center is located.
    4: Fenway park is a few blocks away.
    5: Great sightseeing tours throughout the city.
    6: Logan international is a convienient way of people flying in from overseas.

Now I know some people in the west might complain about this (as I am from NY) but I think it will be a perfect place for it. I hope FP looks into it.

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could say all the same things about Baltimore but it's not a nice neighborhood.

3. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I would say the same about the convention center in Philly.

4. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you all want the convention in your closest city :p 
    I think it should be in England, although its not a nice place :p 

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    St Louis would be awesome, or Chicage as I can get cheap flights to both.

6. Baccala1976

Never been to Philly but I heard great things.

7. Baccala1976

St. Louis is a bit of a dead city IMO. I was there last year for work and not really much to do, but then again I might not have been looking to hard either.

8. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hell I can say the same thing for Virginia Beach / Norfolk, each have their own center with 2 hotel connected and more within a 5 minute walk. Down side, Norfolk not to much to do out in town plus that side of town goes dies after 5/6pm. Virginia Beach on the other hand is just a few blocks away from the ocean front. If they planning on holding the con the weekend or so before the movie comes out that may be a bad thing cause it would be in the middle Tournist time frame so everything would be packed.

If they are planning on having it with the movie release again, I PRAY A it's not in RHODE Island nor anywhere up in that area of the country again. I would much rather it be here in Pittsburgh. They just got done remodeling the center, Down side None of the hotel have the skybridge, but are a block or 2 away, and no free parking. UP side the Strip districted, and not that type of striping, It has a large evening/ night life. There a few places that stay open 24hours starting friday.

I still hope that the Florida rumor is still alive.

9. Baccala1976

See, Boston is like a NYC type of thing where the Back Bay is alive and kicking into the wee hours of the morning.

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I have been saying this for years. There's no reason at all to not have there. Plenty of hotels, great night life for all, tons to do, lots of restaurants. It's a no brainer.

11. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    It's not that bad by Camden/Inner Harbor. Now once you go outside that area then you might start to have some problems.

12. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Boston? Sure, I could do Boston! Anything with direct flights = FTW. :D 

But from what I've heard from the FP people (in person no less) is that that east coast area is pretty much a no-go for BotCon 2009.

Personally? My hope is for Florida :D 

13. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh god yes. Orange County Convention Center is perfect. First off, it's HUGE, has a lot of hotels around it, it's only a few miles from all of the attractions, International Drive, and a ton of other stuff.

Orlando please.

14. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Damn you beat me to it. I think st louis would be awesome because then i could attend! :p 

15. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    But I would consider Florida east coast. :(  Botcon dealers wouldn't like that anyway. Too many other places to spend your money at.

16. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Some really BIG problems. I got lost on my way to Glen Burnie one night while travelling up there at about 2 am and I was seriously scared for my life a few times...

17. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE CATCHES IT!!!!!!!! This convention center is not only near the heart of the city, it's BRAND SPANKIN' NEW! I think the DKM's said it best,

18. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I would agree :D  Since I have local friends there to show me around :D 

19. phantomfharlock

phantomfharlock Well-Known Member

I know i'm gonna take heat for this? but do trans-fans really Care a whit about a cities nightlife on the whole? Yeah i know that this may draw fire? but it seems that Cinci was pretty much all the fandom assembled needed- cheap-ish beds to sleep on, soda to swill and a garage to hold the dealers room in. And then you can walk around the streets and look at all the neat homeless people as you carry out box after box of $100+ stuff.

If you had a great city to visit- would you go to see it or would you hit the walmarts and the targets in the area and whine that you couldnt get all the TF:A you needed. I mean really it seems like a big part of botcon is the dealers room/room parties/ getting new stuff, and a good or expensive city would take away from the hoarding experience. and funpubs KNOWS this.

in their defense Funpubs gives you your .. "energy level" of entertainment if you pony up your 300 dollars with that bingo night thing they have or the dinner or what have you. The average Botconner isnt a nighclub person. Theyre introverted midwestern and quiet and hell that gameworks was pretty much all you needed past the awards dinner where we recognize websites or whatever. You really dont Need to go out and find entertainment cause the entertainment is there for you.

I drove down this year with the gf and asked local transfans about good places to go to eat or nghtlife etc- they couldnt tell me anything. They did however quickly follow up in the same breath with a snippet of how they already looted every kmart/target/etc in 50 miles in any direction.

And yeah cinci is a miserable city, pretty much?* (and detroits WAY worse- i'm not gonna suggest you come here- not until the cartoon future depicted on TFA- so...75? years?) But i dont think the majority of the Con crowd would Want a nice place to go- when they could have room to room parties, and some Subway for lunch. You just dont demand all that much for your money.

I realise this will probably rub someone the wrong way- and i'm not trying to make fun of anyone. i have just as much treasure in my hoard as any of you. But if fandom assembled wanted a better convention, or a better club- we'd demand it.

(*That said across the bridge in Lexington? the hosbrauhaus frakkin rawked btw-i love dancing on tables)

20. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Philly would be cool we could travel to filming sites and then watch the movie. Hey, I was there. LOL

True the Inner Harbor is not that bad. Plus their is the Sciene Center and I think the new section of the Aquarium is open now.