So I was at the bank...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by star_ling, Jan 4, 2010.

1. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    with my mother and she was withdrawing some money from her account and the teller gave her one of those withdrawal slips back with her money. When we looked at it we saw it wasn't hers at all, apparently the teller gave back a slip that belonged to the customer that came ahead of us. It had her name, account#, SS#, and deposit amount (over a grand) on it. There was enough information for someone to not only wipe her out but come back for more later, plus it's the first of the month so she probably just deposited her SS check as the woman in front of us was elderly. If it had been anyone else I think she would have been robbed. Yes we will inform the teller of her mistake and destroy the slip. I want to tell a manager but I don't want the teller to get fired, but it was a big mistake.

The point of all this? Have you ever done anything at work to get yourself fired?

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    ... what, so you and your mother are the only honest people left in the world?:) 

People make mistakes. It's a big mistake, but in a job like that, you deal with that kind of information every day, and it only takes a moment's carelessness. In the greater scale of things, there are far worse mistakes.

Like you said, the best thing to do is point out the mistake to the person who made it. The only reason I'd go higher up is if the teller seemed unconcerned about the error.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Meh, it was a mistake, she probably would not have gotten fired. Besides, what Bank would provide all that info on a receipt? Seems like a bit of overkill really for something that can be given to the wrong person; Sure Account number and balances, but Social Security #? Weird.

As for the question,

When I was 13 I got my first real job. I lied about my age to work at a Driving Range where I was to pick up all the balls off the field that the tractor missed. In the pro shop there was a fridge with drinks to purchase from it. The owner told me that he checks it everyday to make sure we did not steal from it. But I did not care, I took a soda and wasn't even fired for it...he didn't even notice. He did however notice that I did a shitty job of vacuuming the club house and I was fired.

4. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, back when I used to work for walmart I followed orders and was fired the very next day. I was told(because I was a stockboy/cartpusher) to stop pushing in a huge lin of 40+ carts and to help customers put thier oversized crap into thier cars or else I would've been fired. So me and the other stockboy had to ditch the carts right behind a row of vehicles and spend the rest of the night helping people bring shit to thier cars. Well the managers had to spend 2+ hours doing my job after I left and because the line of carts were blocking people the had to use thier cars to get out causing major damage, which led to my termination.

5. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Were you posting this while still in the bank or in the car on the way home? If not, then what's the point of informing the teller or the bank manager hours, if not days, after the discovery was made? That would be like eating at a restaurant and telling the manager "The last time I ate here, about a month ago, I ordered the fish but the waiter brought me chicken by mistake, and I ate that instead of saying anything about it, but I just wanted to say something now. Please don't fire the waiter."

Just destroy the withdrawal slip and forget about it, and next time, check the paperwork right when it's handed to you.

6. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Never been fired, never had a boss be happy to see me leave. I just hope it stays that way.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Maybe she used to work at Taco bell or McDonalds. Some mistakes are hard to break.

Way to go though, give your mom a pat on the butt for me and say "Good Girl"

8. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

What bank was that? I work at a bank and I know our receipts don't show nearly that much information. It will have balances and deposit amounts but blocks out half the account numbers and doesn't have SS# on them.

9. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Welcome to GD, where thread starters exaggerate the truth a little to make the story a little better.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    ^It might have been some other kind of number the O.P. thought was a SS# maybe.

11. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Two jobs on the trot in my early twenties, man they were wild/good times. The second one, I disappeared on a 10 day bender in another city. They took me back though! Well, until I did it again about a fortnight later. Didn't bother going back after that :D 

12. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

I do something everyday that would get me fired or atleast in trouble.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    OP should've posted that info on 4chan.

14. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    Good for your mom, doing the right thing. No, need to get someone fired though. We are all human.

15. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welcome to the GD where posters make uninformed assumptions about others when they don't know the whole story.

I was at a Credit Union when this happened, there must be a difference between the deposit forms (I call them receipts) from credit unions and normal banks. The ones in my area have you put your SS# or the last 4 digits depending on where you go.

It was after I returned home from there that I realized it and took it back to the teller later that day. Really I don't think the comparison works because of the situation which could cause one to be fired, food and physical money (in this case possible identity theft) are 2 very different things as far as most businesses are concerned. Additionally I have seen a similar mistake made by another store in my area where a cashier making money orders gave my brother $100 more dollars than she should have. He returned it and the manager saw and wanted to fire her but didn't since no harm was done. I never said I wanted her fired but at least made aware of the mistake, if she doesn't care (she didn't) it could be my info next time. So yeah I felt it was a big deal.

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    So the slip you got was not a receipt but a deposit slip? That's a big difference as to how the "receipt" had someone's SS or account number on it.
    With this new info I can see this going down. I just don't understand how you got someone else's deposit slip then. I thought they filed those in the drawer with the checks/money. She was having a major "oops" moment then.

17. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It has happened more than once at this same Credit Union, which is why I wanted to speak to a manager.

18. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

I worked for a KB toys. You could steal half the stock, piss on the windows and lit a customer on fire and still not get fired. Ahhh, those were the days. (This of course could be one of the many reasons they went out of buisness...)