So I want to build a new computer

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by rapid_fire, May 30, 2009.

1. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

But Im not up to date on anything good these days. Could you guys give me a bit of help?

Basically, I want a good solid computer, that I can build myself a couple pieces at a time. I want to run my Second Life game perfectly, so it has to be able to do intense graphics, and handle being able to do home studio recording as well without bogging down or getting off synch, etc. The computer I have now is a 1.6 gig celeron piece of junk, with on board everything, It runs the internet, that's about it lol, I need a new machine to be more of a work horse.

I've heard about dual core/quad core etc processors, but I don't think they are right for me, because I'll mostly be using older software for the next few years, like Photoshop 7.0, and I really want to stick to Windows XP. So im looking for a good, fast and powerful motherboard and processor but no idea what to get really.

Also I don't know anything about RAM. its changed so much over the years I have no idea what's what. SDRAM, DDRRAM, it makes no sense to me. All I know is the more gigs, the better. If I could go 4 gigs or more, I'll be happy.

Sorry for being dumb, but that is what im looking for. With that said, maybe you guys could reccomend some parts to pick up to build a nice computer :)  I'd like a really nice powerful graphics card, etc.

I thought about going to futureshop or a computer store, but I don't want the sales guys building something I don't need, and making me spend more money then I have to, which is why I came here to my transformers friends. I trust you guys :p 

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

You didnt say what your price range is though.

There are plenty of websites that have builds for gaming PCs. I liked this one, $600 but it will cost you a bit more since it looks like they didnt include the price of Windows. System Builder Marathon, May '09: $600 Gaming PC : Affordable Gaming To Go - Review Tom's Hardware You can maybe offset the cost by going with an older video card if you want; the 8800GT is still a good card imo.

I also suggest not staying with XP. You can go with Vista now, or you can wait a few months or so for more details on Windows 7's launch.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Building a PC isn't THAT big a deal anymore.
    Online stores usually have a tutorial or buying guides to help you with your decision.

The only help i can give you is i suggesta a quad core processor, 4GB of RAM and for that SL environment, no less than a 256MB video card.
    I don't do studio work, but i got a replacement sound card for my HP's onboard card (which sucked and crashed) for a good deal- it's a Turtle Beach Riviera.
    it's a 5.1 card

4. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tiger direct has a quad box with 4 gigs of RAM, a 1 GB video card, and 500GB HD for under $400 right now. No monitor though.

5. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Thanks guys for the help :) 

Price range doesn't matter, if it costs me 1 grand, 2 grand, if that's what it takes to get a really good system, that's what i need to do.