So I think I am expecting a kid.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jestermon, May 18, 2010.

1. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I was bringing in only $24000 per year when I had my kid. The wife was a stay at home mom. It was tough but it can be done. With family and friends anybody can make it work. Before my daughter was born, I was stressing out about money when my wife said:
    "don't worry, dumber people do it on less money with more kids."
    I pretty much felt ok after that. It's just maintaining your balance, although I wasn't into collecting tfs back then so that was one less expense that we have now.
    If you can, have your woman stay home with the kid for the first years, it makes a huge difference in your childs self-esteem and confidence. If she makes more than you, then you try to stay home.

2. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just use it because it sounds silly, it throws people off guard more than she's pregnant, if you say that she's pregnant people here at least( I am in Alabama the bible belt that apparently is much worse than it is in Georgia where we are from) go oh are you married or oh were you trying, then they make the ohh noise if you say no to either.

I knew we would make sacrifices, and we both work, it's just people make it seem like buying the occasional deluxe or legends will break the bank.

I rarely buy Voyagers or larger or frequently.

Also I know I will have to spend a small fortune on all the Dinosaur and Transformer related clothes/age appropriate toys to indoctrinate the into the fold child be it boy or girl.

My gf says I want a boy so I can play Dinosaur with him, but I told her even if it’s a girl I still will.

3. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

The general motif in the responses has been that it's expensive to have kids and that planning/budgeting is a necessity. Very true.

In terms of the actual income it takes, it can vary wildly depending on where a family lives and goals. For example, bringing in a low six figures in a lot of CA or NY is barely scraping by when there's a mortgage and kids involved. Further, not everyone plans on, or even wants to, save up for the kids' college education. If they did, that's another $300k-$400k for each kid that they are having now to attend a private institution.

4. Jingjing

Jingjing Well-Known Member

CNGRTZ man!

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    your thread title makes me wanna ask, "is the rabbit dead?"

it amazes me how people act when they find out they are expecting. My sister was terrible. at the time she was pregnant with her first, her and hubby weren't exactly well off, but she spent like mad on everything- and used barely a 1/10 of it. even her friends couldn't tell her to save up for the real costs down the road.
    she was just "baby-stuff-drunk" (what i call it.)

by the time she had her second child was born, she wised up and things got easier.

but you don't have to rake in 6 figures to raise your child right (and still have a modest hobby) i watched my Brother in law do it with a hobby that wasn't cheap, but shopped smart. (R/C aircraft.)

so you should be okay if ya just start planning now and stick to it. good luck and congrats.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Bit of free advice. I'm not a parent but oldest of three.

Hit up family and friends for any spare baby items they may have: clothes, bassinets, car seats, cradles, toys etc....ANYTHING. You'd be surprised what most folks have hiding in their sheds mate, and if they aren't using it there's a good chance they'll either just give it to you to be rid of it themselves or sell it to you for sweet bugger all.

Its a good way to save some precious money if you'll need it later for medical bills, emergency shopping and things like that.

In any case: congratulations, and don't make a hash of it :p 

7. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

You can still get the stuff you enjoy, it just is little harder to do so.
    On the other hand, babies sell for a lot to the right people.
    Just sayin.

8. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I seem to have a bit of insomnia as well, I am not afraid of the baby, I am afraid of what will come, neither of us really talk to any of our family.

My gf's mom was a druggy when she was little and left them with random people, her dad chose his new wife's kids over her, we go to a family reunion now and again, her aunt basically raised her and we see her Grandma every so often.

My mom got divorced when I was young, around 10ish, she raised me, my real dad never really came back around he was a crazy raging alcoholic.

My mom always was very proud of me and supportive, but almost a year ago now, she told my gf and I that I could come live with her and save money for a house and that she would help my gf go to Pharmacy school.

But that didn't work out and my mom and my step dad went insane, threatened to kick us out, but we left first.

Then she adopted a girl that had both parents die only to be raised by a grandma that died, and they kicked her out too.

I just don't know how we could'nt make things end up like this between our own child.