So I think I am expecting a kid.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jestermon, May 18, 2010.

1. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

So I have knocked up my gf of 5 years.

I use the term in jest, it isn't like I am freaked out about it and thinkign about leaving or anything.

Anyways, from askign around at work tryign to get a general consensus on how raising a child is, I have had many different answers.

Is it still possible to buy things I want as long as I am taking care of the kid and all other expenses?

Or is this some outlandish idea that I could indeed have money for both?

Just trying to get some feedback on the whole situation I am in store for.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Sure, anything's possible. But what about the probabilities? That was a rhetorical question; in short, be prepared to make sacrifices for the greater good (your new family). Best of luck, guy.

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Aren't those the things to think of before getting in bed with out contraceptives? Can I afford this and such? :/

Relevance to this thread, children are expensive. Kiss your collection good bye!

4. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I don't know about you, but phrasing it that way does sound rather...I can't think of the word.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    You live in a bizarre world where rational thought precedes sex.

To the OP:

If you're living at around a combined-income $70-$120k yearly range, yeah, you'll probably have to cut down on getting personal shit. So will your wife. But all of that will cease to matter to you once you've got that beautiful, precious, innocent baby in your hands.

The biggest thing you need to prepare for is the lack of sleep and the amount of time that needs to be committed to baby. Start talking with moms and dads (who will now be grandmas and grandpas) about who can help watch and babysit the kid while you and wife/gf work. Is your sig. other planning to take off a few months to spend with the baby after he/she's born?

6. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your priorities will change once he/she is born. You will see your needs will never out weigh the child’s needs. It’s all part of parenthood.

With that said, it all depends on your income, if you have a good job and budget you can make it work.

If your girl isn't planning on working and you become the sole support for the child I can't see new transformers will be high up on the list of "must have" things. Dipers, baby food, cloths, Doctor Visits (please I hope you have insurance) ect, ect.

If you plan on day care, she might as well not work because they are very expensive.

As a father of 3, I can say I still save some money on the side for stuff I want. Or I sell something in my collection if I want it bad enough.

We both work but were lucky to have a helpful family who watch my kids.

Let me give you some advise, put everything on hold for a while. Sit down and PLAN, how you are going to pay for and care for the up coming child. Once you have the baby, you are no longer living your life, you paving theirs. In the big picture, toys are just toys. They will come and go, but your child is yours forever. You always going to be Dad. Enjoy it, its makes every day bigger/brighter then I ever could have imagined.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    1000x this.

8. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Doesn't the government pay for all that baby stuff?

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Not in the USA...may be different elsewhere.

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yea..no, not at all.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Gawd, I wish they did. That'd be awesome. Hello, IRS? I'd like to write off the $2 grand I spent in formula, diapers and oft-grown-out-of baby clothes...

12. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't worry Dr. the Goverment is paying for my wife's c-section and the Hospital bed!
    send the 7000.00 bill to Uncle Sam!

13. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    It IS possible as I did it and have 3 kids myself, you just need to prioritize is all. Once you've paid the medical bills, food bills, diaper bills, clothes bills, and every other bill you'll have you can buy whatever you want with what's left over.:lol 

14. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Dude, my kid is almost 2 (next month!). Trust me, you life will not get turned upside down, you can still buy TF's or whatever you like. Maybe not as much but you definitly dont have to kiss you collection goodbye, that is ridiculous advice! Everything will be ok, you might not realize it until a couple months after you little one is born, but seriously, everything stays the same, you just have a kid now. The sky doesnt change color, you'll still be the same 'ol you, and life will go on just as it always has. There is obviously going to be more responsibility in your life but by the time you see that kid enter this world you wont mind. Someone said something about living with $70-120 a year and having to cut back on things, well, lets just say my family doesnt come close to making that much and we get by just fine. (and no, we dont get any governmen assist.) Just live with-in your means and everything will be fine.

Also, CONGRATULATIONS!

15. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

take care of family first and then everything else will fall into place. word of advice get past ever playing much video games or randomly going out.

16. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Budget your money. I cannot stress this enough. Keep accurate records of what your spending, so when you go to make a major purchase, such as a baby stroller or something, you don't freak out and wonder where all the money went.
    Like others have said, put collecting on hold and savour the genuine emotion of holding your newborn child.

17. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

if you have a small litter they do. Or ask for donations on youtube >:/

I'm not a dad but I did pay attention in high school. Follow the others guis advice, and mind your finances. Hope you have insurance, yadda yadda, try and keep funds on the sude for drinking...I mean, emergencies. And be eternally patient with your wify, unless she goes batshit insane. Eternal devotion doth not amuse wife, only makes her madder than a hater. My best advice, lock yourself in a closet or ask a friend if you can escape for the eveneing. And if she wants ice cream and pickles at 3am, get her ice cream and pickles, or she might eat you

Good luck with parent hood :) 

18. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    For the people with kids what kinda coinage are you brining in?

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I suspect it's a shitload cheaper than most people do it for.