So I kind of want to do TF reviews....

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Reviews' started by Phoenix Blaze, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

After months and months of watching several TF reviewers on Youtube (peaugh got me started, then barutazaru, Vange1us, Aerros 1 and my favourite, boylovesbowie) I kind of want to try my hand at the whole thing.

But, I then think of questions like,

"what can I do that's so different?"
    "should I go for those in depth transformations or just talk about the toy in general"
    "how to start, a vlog, or just go right in"
    "is it acceptable for me to post a video answering those getting to know a TF fan from a few years ago at this late stage, always a good idea for a first video IMO".

So, for those who do reviews and general "talk Transformers" videos, how did you start? Was it a bit weird or nerv wracking? Did you ever feel that it was pointless? What do you think it was that made your videos different?

Also, I'll just be using a regular digital camera which sadly is not the one I did a wee test video on (that broke on a night out...) so I've yet to see if I can even use the camera I have for effective videos. I'll also need a light of sorts (I'm not bothered about flawlessly shot videos with great lighting and clarity).

So yeah, help or rather halp.

2. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I do reviews that never get uploaded (too lazy) but my brother is active and uploads. So, I'll answer these as best as I can:

1. "what can I do that's so different?"
    That's up to you. I don't talk about the transformations and mine are less like peaugh's and more like Thew's or Sixshotreviews2's.

2. "should I go for those in depth transformations or just talk about the toy in general"
    Dyansis goes indepth. I prefer just talking about figure than talking about the character, but whatever you want.

3. "how to start, a vlog, or just go right in"
    Introduce you self at the beginning of the first review. Go from there.

4."is it acceptable for me to post a video answering those getting to know a TF fan from a few years ago at this late stage, always a good idea for a first video IMO".
    That would make an awesome first video. Do that.

3. Thelbert

Thelbert Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I too have been thinking of getting into the video review game. I shot about 3 or 4 of them until I found a opening that I liked. Just experiment and watch them afterwards. See what works and what doesn't. My biggest thing now is formulating ideas and sentences and being able to say them without sounding drunk. :D 

4. Phoenix Blaze

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have this issue that.....I sound very different on video/audio track than I do in person, mainly because I over-pronounce things to make up for my accent.

Maybe I should do my videos in various accents.......changing as I go.

5. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

1. Prepare the videos first.

2. Good lighting, clean environment, items close up and in focus.

3. Talk slowly, clearly and loud enough.

4. Be yourself, don't try to act, it will show through.

If you've got those covered, I'd say your videos should be pretty good, if you fill them with something interesting. Good luck! :thumbs2: 

Oh and

5. Make a twist that makes your videos recognizeable and stand out.

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    There so many people doing video reviews now, and your desire to be different can set you apart. In my opinion, if you just feel like holding a toy up, transforming it, etc, then don't bother. There are like 500 people doing that, and frankly no one is going to care if you are the 501st.

Try something new. Ponder it, for weeks or months if you have to, and come up with something original and clever, and fun to both create and watch.

7. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

Another way to help, is make a review, and take notes. See if you stutter, say um to much or if lighting is bad or you did something off camera during the review. I just recently started reviewing and i find myself wanting to redo them for said reasons, and the my voice sounds different? It's natural to think like that because we are so used to hearing our voice we dont pay attention to what we sound like. hope this helps a future reviewer.

8. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This. Honestly, try and break the mold of a typical TF Reviewer.
    Some thing's that will help.
    1. Take notes after you review each figure and use those notes to, at a later date, do a redux.
    2.Good lighting is key and furthermore, invest in a good camera.
    3.Do some BBTS unboxing videos (If BBTS is your store of choice)
    4.Don't go into detail regarding the backstory if you don't want to.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

The fact that it's your voice and your opinions make it different from the get-go. It's all about how it is you want to present yourself and the toy.
    I, personally, like to keep myself to talking strictly about the toy and avoid showing transformations. But that's just me.

Like I said, it's up to how you want to present it. Thew, for example, does more talking about the figure and just does a sped-up shot of the transformation. Peaugh the exact opposite, going over each step of the process. And then there are people like Timey and Dreadwind'sGhost who manage to do both successfully.
    Speaking for myself again, I just went right in. I'm not going to start off with 500 subscribers, so I may as well just get to it. People will learn more about me as these videos come along.
    I literally picked up my Henkei! Red Alert from the post office, got back home, and decided I was going to shoot a video about it.
    It still is for me. But I'm seeing that I'm getting a bit more comfortable and will continue to do so with more videos.
    The fact that I have subscribers watching my videos tells me it isn't, whether it's tens or hundreds. Someone's watching your work.
    Other than my apparent lack of preparation? Hah

As I said earlier, my opinions and such make my video different as far as content goes. Production-wise, I'm still trying to find how it is I want to present myself as well as the toy.
    All I'm using at the moment is the webcam on my laptop and natural light.

Someone could have all the resources there and still make a crap video. Be insightful, be creative, and be you.

10. Phoenix Blaze

So, I um, went and did it. I used my webcam for some vlogging type stuff, but only after uploading them did I realise they're really messed up with the audio and visual being vastly out of synch.

But, I did an actual review, and I'm pleased. I hope that with time I'll find something I can make my own and develop some skills.

Thanks for the all the advice, it's really helped me start this.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I have the same problem, honestly. So I try to do a lot of shorter takes, rather than a single 8-9 minute video, and just edit everything together afterwards.

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Always experiment, the more editing the merrier but always go at your own pace, the only obligations you have to adhere to are the ones you set yourself, don't let bad feedback get you down (and never outright ignore it!), and remember that there are tons of subgenres of toy videos out there. :) 

13. Phoenix Blaze

So here's a link.

YouTube - Vigadeath's Channel

The only videos I'd say to watch are my Hot Rod and Getting to Know....

I can see myself being a reviewer who just talks about the toy and maybe swears a little too much....so sorry kids, don't mean to damage your minds.

14. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Subscribed.

15. Phoenix Blaze

Thanks dude! I hope you like the few videos I have up. Loading one now....why do they take so long!!!

16. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just took a quick looksie and I am liking what I see. Good Video Quality.
    BTW, Love the accent and Unicron Impression on the Henkei Cyclonus Vid.

17. Phoenix Blaze

Thanks!

I think I'll have a go at Henkei Inferno next. I know these toys have all been done before, but they're some of my favourites! I'm waiting to get the last part of the micromaster six train, then I'll be doing that!

18. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm no expert or anything, but I gave your videos a watch and here are my thoughts:
    - The video quality is good. I can see the details of the figures really well and you do a good job of not getting your hands in the way.

- You are uneven in your speaking. You have a neat accent (I'm from the US so accents are rare and interesting to me) but sometimes you start to slur your words and it's hard to understand what you are saying.

- Lastly, you may want to do something to spice up the video. I'm not saying go the Shane Dawson way (I'm not a fan of his work though I don't hate him) but as is, your videos are what I think you wanted to avoid: looking at hands playing with a toy for 7-8 mins.

Sorry if this is harsh, I don't mean it that way. I do realize these are your first videos so I'm sure it's rough when you first start, but I hope these points will help you refine them.

I do see potential in your videos (again, I'm no expert though) because you do have a unique perspective, and as such, I would happily watch more.

19. Phoenix Blaze

Thank you. These commnets are also what'll allow me to sort my videos out. I welcome them. The slur part, well when I get a bit excited about something, the quality of my voice plummets, and that's me trying to be clear in the videos and not just talk as among friends.

I've been thinking of a thing, or a gimmick for my videos, but have yet to realise one......but I do know that it's a rare reviewer who can keep me entertained with just hands and a toy.

Thanks for the comments, and I look forward to showing you new and improved videos in the future.

20. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Cheers :thumbs2:  I look forward to more and.......subscribed.