So I just read all of War Within in a day

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Dr Kain, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I read both War Within and The Dark Ages when they first came out, and while I thought WWI was good, I thought TDA sucked. And then I picked up all 3 issues to the Ages of Wrath, but never read them since it got canned. After picking up a few WWI Titaniums last week, I was in the mood to read the WWI series, had my dad send me my comics, and I just spent the last day reading them all.

I still like WWI the best, but it does have some plot holes I never noticed before, mostly with Prime not being Orion Pax. The Dark Ages however, was still confusing, but reading it in two sittings made it far more enjoyable, even though it still feels like it should have been a 12 issue series. As for The Wrath of Ages, well, I must say, I am so pissed this got canned after 3 issues. The first issue was all right, but the other two were great, and I want to know who is working with Megatron. Is it supposed to be teh Quintessons? Obviously Prime was planned to return, and that would have been cool to see too.

Overall, I think they were much better the second time, and it is a shame IDW hasn't done any WWI stories, or at least have Furman and gang finish the freaking Warth of Ages storyline.

2. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I thought WWI was pretty overrated. The designs were cool, but the story was convoluted and a bit of a mess.

3. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

indeed, stormbringer was much better, once you've read through a couple times to get a grasp of the whole thing.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yeah, I re-read the War Within stuff a few months ago and it doesn't hold up that well. They do read much, much better if you read them all in one sitting than spreading it out over six months, but the IDW universe is so much better.

5. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have that last WW story finished, though.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like War Within at the time (haven't reread it recently), but the pacing was way off on the two completed miniseries, with slow beginnings and overly rapid endings. There were also issues with the general quality of the stories, so of which I blame on the overall DW continuity. The whole thing was basically sold on the idea of Cybertronian redesigns, but the plots and writing just didn't hold up. I wouldn't mind seeing Age of Wrath finished, just for interest sake; maybe IDW can get the rights, allow Furman and some artist to complete the last three issues and then put the whole thing out as a trade.

How is that a plot hole?

7. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

That was enough!
    We even got some great toys out of it.
    I love the Titanium line.
    And C-Starscream.

Although, granted, it was a golden opportunity to tell some kick-ass stories about pre-Earth TFs.
    But the WW weren't that bad. I didn't care a great deal for Micromasters though.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    That's not a plot hole. There was no Orion Pax in Dreamwave's continuity.

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I can't stand IDW's comics except Beast Wars. Their art looks like crap most of the time (anyone see the MGS comics?). Not to mention their stories suck. I don't mind retelling G1 concepts, but at least give us more than boring humans in the first 15 pages.

As for Orion Pax, I'm sorry, but if it deals with G1, then Optimus Prime MUST be Orion Pax, or it doesn't work. Just like Galvatron and Megatron MUST be the same friggin person.

10. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

For you maybe, not for me.

11. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    I don't recall there ever being an Orion Pax in the Marvel G1 comic, you must have hated those.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a personal preference and continuity difference, then; not a plot hole.

I completely forgot about Micromasters kind of falling under the "War Within" continuity. Now there was an all new, tiny-head-Fortress-Maximus, level of crap.

13. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I grew up reading the Marvel comics and didn't see the Orion Pax episode until I was an adult. Frankly, Orion Pax is one of the stupidest ideas ever presented in the cartoons. It turns the greatest leader in Transformer history into a whiney teenager who thought the Decepticons where cool because they could fly. Talk about ruining a character - that is one of many reasons why I'll take the Marvel or Dreamwave continuity over the cartoon any day.

14. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I am a big fan of the WW books. I think they can still be apart of even the IDW continuity considering it could be anytime before Stormbringer. I really love the Dark Ages. That was a great book. Different squads of Autobots all splintered off without a single leader. Prime being lost was a big loss to the Autobots stability. I especially liked Grimlock in Dark Ages and we got to see Jetfire actually act more like a scientist(also in Stormbringer).

I was really bummed that Age of Wrath wasnt finished. I asked Joe Ng about it and he says he finished pencils for all but the last issue. :( 

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The Micromasters was the first time in the Dreamwave continuity that made me say to myself "Maybe I shouldn't buy everything that has Transformers on the cover."

Not only was the diction of the characters incredibly stupid. "'Sup, Micro."
    But, the art was horribly bad.
    Highpoints of the lows.
    1. Floating legs.
    The bots legs did not seem to be attached to their waists.
    2. Who said that?
    The panels were so busy that I had no idea who was saying what. And, as the series progressed, I no longer cared.
    3. Blitzwing.
    He was in Earth mode already. (So, we are back in the G1 cartoon?)
    4. The concept of the story. So, two warring factions decide to work together to create new troops? Who thought that was a good idea?
    5. Fortress Maximus.
    ZOMG he looked bad. Not only was his head incredibly small, he looked like he was made from a stack of marshmallows.
    What did he transform into, anyway? Was he a fortress? He was no bigger than Ultra Magnus and Shockwave.

16. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I do think we should get an ending to the 3rd chapter of the war within stuff.

I dont think what IDW is any better then what DW did with the property, They both have there strong and weak points.

17. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The trouble with the WWI books is, I never got the sense that Cybertron had a huge population at the time of the books, or previously when Cybertron was at peace. There was no real sense that either faction had amassed large numbers of casualities over the years as you would expect from a war of attrition.

Dreamwave also missed the opportunity to create there own characters (aside from the Fallen and the three Decepticon wouldbe assassins), to pad out the ranks and to be convenient casulties like in the Marvel comic. We generally just saw the same old '84-86 guys with some exceptions.

18. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

I LOVED War Within volume 1. I loved it so much that I LIKED volume 2! :lol 

But seriously, WWI had it all for me. I pored over every page looking for cameos of redesigned GI TFs. It's where I fell in love with one Don Figueroa. IMO, the writing definitely holds up. Maybe issues 5 and 6 had a weird vibe that was different from 1-4; can't say exactly what it was.

The Dark Ages was an interesting little experiment in Wildman drawing modern-style comics, but the plot left something to be desired. Redesigned characters are still cool.

Age of Wrath had SO MUCH potential, and it's a shame that the company folded. Also it's a shame that it'll probably never be finished.

Micromasters... oh dear. Could've benefited from more distinct Micro characters. As it was, it was a huge jumble. I bookmarked all the Micromasters in MTMTE to try and tell them all apart, but the only really interesting characters were the ones who had been fighting on other planets. They should've had a one-shot explaining what happened on Countdown's "crusade."