So I just bought a PS3...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Glhboy, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Glhboy

Glhboy <font color=red><b>Goes Like Hell....</b></font> Moderator

News Credits:
    Not sure I want to keep it though. I am visiting my parents in their small town and went to Walmart, they had one that someone just returned unopened 60gig. Impulse buy and $XXX.XX later and I'm home. Not gonna open it til I get back to my house, but I think I'm going to take it back cause I'd rather have the Wii, but of course can't find one at all local. Anyone have both? I think I'd like more of the games on the Wii and the price is nice too. I don't know, can you play DVD's on the Wii too?

Any recommendations here?

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Not presently, if ever. There's supposed to be a version of the Wii that plays DVD movies sometime in the future, but nobody seems to know if existing Wiis can be upgraded to play them.

If it just comes down to what games are available or have been announced, I'd go with the Wii at this point. Or a 360, if you haven't already got one. Preferably both. It's your call though. I don't know what kind of games you like.

3. Glhboy

News Credits:
    well I haven't bought a new system since a regular x-box and PS2, but I rarely play either at all since I'm not a real big game guy, but I like to play occasionally. I probably played the old school Nintendo the most which is why I still think I'd rather have the Wii. Think I'd be able to find one after Christmas?

4. flamepanther

After Christmas? Probably, as long as it's not just the next day after or something.

5. Glhboy

News Credits:
    i was hoping next day or week

6. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

If there are eventually games you'll want, and if you'll eventually want to get a PS3, I see no wrong in holding on to it, if only for the BR player.

There is the scalping option, of course, but I wouldn't respect you in the morning.

Nice thing would be if you knew someone who wanted it and could sell it to them directly, to keep it out of the hands of the scalpers.

7. Glhboy

News Credits:
    I wouldn't resell it, take it back if anything. I definitely want Zelda, Mario Kart if it ever comes out?? Any Mario Bros. games, see I'm already addicted to the Wii...lol.

PS3 I'd like Call of Duty 3, I bought Renaissance fall of man?? I think it's what it's called..

8. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

It's a gamble right now. You can either keep it in hopes that there's better games coming out for it (if the console continues to do as poorly as it is, game companies won't want to make games for it or cancel what they're working on for it). Sure, it has a Blu-Ray player but Blu-Ray itself is doing pretty poorly. Of course, it could always pick up and hey, you don't have to buy one and the games and movies will eventually trickle in.

So, place your bet. Keep it in hopes that it will take off, or sell it and make a profit/break even?

Oh, and Call of Duty 3 is on the Wii and Xbox360, costs less money, and the Wii version lets you use the Wiimote like a gun.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I got a Wii yesterday. I'm in love with it. only have Wii sports so far, but that and the virtual console are enough to keep me busy until my next paycheck.

Get a Wii.

and a steering wheel and a few other crazy things. however, it is a sloppy port. the graphics are horrible for the Wii, and there's absolutely no multi-player.

10. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YOU OPENED PANDORA'S GRAPHICS VS. GAMEPLAY BOX! SHUT IT! SHUUUUUUT IT!

Anywho, since you had a Ps3 impulse buy...you may want to seek counseling...

:lol 

11. Glhboy

News Credits:
    nah, i have a lot of impulse buys.

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I keep reading reports, seems that trading a PS3 for a Wii and extra's (or two Wii's) is a huge thing right now. One site said Craigslist was a great place if you're looking to do a trade like that.

Worth a shot anyways.

13. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Source please? The only such report I've seen to date was rather slip shod in it's methodology.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I would take that back and impulse buy a 360 and/or Wii. 360 has Gears, Wii has Zelda. Or Wii and Zelda and a ton of games and Wii points. Or 360 + HD-DVD drive. Or 360 + a few of games.

Its funny that there have been a lot of reports of returned PS3s. If I were Sony I would be really worried about the fan base, the day PS3 launched, it sold for 10,000 on ebay. The next day, the most you would pay is 1,000. Ouch.

15. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Fry's had 5x of the 60gb for sale (though it was for the bundle ($950) - System, Extra Controller, and 5 games)...we was there for about 2 hours, and only 1 were sold. Sucks that there wasn't a Wii bundle.

Best Buy had 2x 20gb systems in the sharkcage...no one picked it up, dont know why (didnt even bother asking).

16. flamepanther

Not all that long ago, I actually defended Sony's sales here (did anyone notice?), saying I'd never heard of PS3s collecting dust on the shelves (i.e., Sony is selling every PS3 they can make and low sales are due to slow production). I can't honestly say that anymore.

17. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

I got PS3 with Resistance Fall of Man and online play is so damn FUN :) \
    but it depend on which game planning to get on PS3 and also are you going to use PS3 as a Blu-Ray Disc Player

me personally got PS3 for MGS4,Killzone2,Tekken6,DMC4,GT5 and because ive been a Sony fan since 5 years old :p 

18. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Me->:throw <-Valkysas

THAT'S CRAZY TALK, MAN! CRAZY TALK! The graphics are as good as a souped up Xbox, yes, but there IS multiplayer. Examples:

-Wii Sports
    -Excite Truck
    -Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
    -Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
    -Wii Play
    -Super Swing Golf

And plenty more.

And as for the PS3 situation, glhboy, it's your choice. Personally, I'd go with the Wii. Cheaper, more affordable, more fun.

19. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

All going to be killer games I'm sure, but those aren't valid reasons to own a PS3 *now* over a Wii. In a year +? Absolutely. Now though? No way.

So that was 4 years ago? :p 

*feels like an old man*

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    God damn, man. I was only taling about Call of Duty 3. That game's graphics are just sloppy as fuck. I know graphics don't make the game, but some degree of care should be put into them. The textures are always blurry as hell, shit breaks into triangles, there's just no excuse for it, and yes, COD3 has no multiplayer. There's no excuse for graphics as horrible as COD3's on the Wii.