So I have watched the old 80s series

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by jackDarcee, Aug 23, 2011.

1. jackDarcee

jackDarcee Arcee lover

....or most of it...I would like to know what I should watch to get a sense of all this unicron/fallen stuff. Should I watch Beastwars? marvel comics?

what? I feel I am behind the curve on some of this stuff. I'm an old timer (30s) and dont like not knowing whats up.

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I cannot speak for the comics but the 86 movie is where you will get the best of idea of Unicron and the scale of him in the g1 series. He is further mentioned in some other episodes throughout season 3. Beast wars hardly makes mention of Unicron. The Unicron trilogy of armada, energon and cybertron portray Unicron very well if you can put up with the shows.

3. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're going to be watching Transformers on TV, your only option for the Fallen is the live-action movie, part two in particular.

Unicron is talked about in G1, Beast Wars (maybe Beastmachines too--couldn't stand the show, so...), Armada series.

4. jackDarcee

jackDarcee Arcee lover

Thanks.

5. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I agree, the 86 movie is the best way to get a feel for Unicron. The Unicron Trilogy (Armada, Energon, Cybertron) is much too drawn out, and although there is some Unicron in season 3 of the '80s cartoon, I find the original cartoon as a whole to be an acquired taste.

6. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    The marvel comics has the best Transformers origin story involving Unicron and it's quite different from the cartoon. There is no way to know what the prime team are basing there Unicron off of though.

7. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For all we know this "Unicron" in Prime could be an entirely different take on "characterless giant bad guy who just wants to be the deathstar."

So yeah. Going by the writers track record they're throw an entirely new iteration of the character.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Marvel comics is the best way to understand the big 'Cron. Specially because the Alignet continuity version of him seems to be based on that.

9. Drunk-Wheeljack

Drunk-Wheeljack MrTomo

The best way to get to know the fallen is to go to a barnes n noble or a local comic book store and find the "War Within: Omnibus" it's the entire War Within series that was released to public.

The entire second arc (and final released arc) is all about the Fallen's shenanigans

10. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

Well Mr JackDarcee you do have a unique opportunity here that a lot of us will never have, to see how things unfold in this series cold, without 15 sources of prior knowledge spoiling everything for you! Let it flow! Check out the older info afterward! brave the unknown!!

The hopes that someday someone who writes some Transformers media will come along and kick the old formula out the window is all the keeps me going in this fandom some days.

See it fresh! Take the chance!

11. jackDarcee

jackDarcee Arcee lover

knightconvoy you make a good point. Plus you have an excellent sig.

12. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I was watching season 2 last night and in the show Microbots Megatron says ass, it's pretty funny.

13. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks here is the actual matching avatar =-D. Being a fan for all 26 years the Transofmers has been in America I guess I am just kinda to that state where I would like to see a series that tosses the whole concept of "Autobot V Decepticon over energy and destroying cybertron blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah" out the airlock then hit it with an antimatter cannon.

There has to be something newer and more interesting someone could pull off!

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Absolutely brilliant advice! Take it.

15. IceMagnus

IceMagnus STARCO FTW!!!!!

News Credits:
    Watch the G1 Movie for Unicron. =]

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Prime is its own thing, and quite frankly it would be poor storytelling to rely on prior knowledge of other shows, which I think the creative team is aware of and avoiding doing.

The best thing to do is strap in and enjoy the ride, wholeheartedly embracing the awesome that is TF Prime.

If you do want to find out a bit more about the backstory which the current aligned continuity is using, it seems to be drawn from the Simon Furman Unicron mythos rather than the animated series mythos, so you might want to track down the Marvel collections that deal with those issues.

As far as the show goes though, it is a new entity so any backstory ought to be explored in due course.

17. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Prime is completely different, and will introduce (maybe) these characters in their own way. I see very little benefit from looking at past sources.

If you must, I would watch the 86 movie for unicron...nothing else

As far as the fallen...just wait. The fallen is a relatively new idea and is if he's in Prime it's likely he'll be a more drastic change than unicron will have.

18. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Unicron. 1986 The Transformers The Movie.
    Also the marvel UK Transformers books.

The fallen. Easilly IDW comics War Within trade paperbacks.

19. unicron6666

unicron6666 Banned

i have found out that the 86" movie came in sixth in the top 20 action/adventure movies of 86"

20. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Use tfwiki.com if ya wanna learn more of them thsi QUICK