So I got the TF spotlight series...

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, May 8, 2008.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I have been wanting to do so for a long time. I like comics and I really wanted a good place to start with TF comics, so I decided spotlight was the series for me. But the point of this thread is way more than "hey, look what I did!" no, I wanted to know if there's any other comics that I should get after reading these. I know that Infiltration, Ecsalation, etc tie into the spotlights and visa versa (at least, that's what I've been led to believe. Correct me if I'm wrong) and may or may not go after those.

Yeah, so besides "All hail Megatron" there's really no comic series' that I'm interested in and I want to change that. So basically I'm asking: Based on what I'm about to read, what other TF comics would you recommend?

Thanks.

EDIT: My idiot is showing, could a kind mod edit the thread title so it says "I GOT the TF spotlight series...". :banghead: 

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

IDW's universe ties up pretty neatly together, with the Spotlights up to now mostly being side stories to the main narrative. The main narrative goes Infiltration-->Stormbringer-->Escalation-->Devastation. I guess they're merging it all now or something, and the Spotlights are going to become the next main story arc. Sorry, haven't been keeping as close tabs on the comics the last few months. The Avengers crossover is also technically part of the universe, though you're not missing much by skipping it. I read Megatron Origin and I still don't know whether it's supposed to be canon in the IDW-verse or not. Maybe someone else can cover that. But, again, you're not missing a whole lot if you skip that. All Hail Megatron looks awesome so far. You can get in on the ground floor with that and check it out since it's just getting started.

If you have the money, I would highly recommend the Premier hardcover. It's got Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, and the first several Spotlights in an oversized hardcover that really makes the art pop. It's pricey, but is pretty close to the price of buying the four trades separately, so if you're going to buy them anyway you might want to pick it up.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I didn't know Stormbringer was part of the IDW continuity. (Well, I didn't know it was part if Infitration, Escalation, etc)

Quick question, is Devastation finished? I also like the sound of that hardcover. I wonder if it would be too hard to find those?

Also, are Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation and Devastation all separate books, or are they each their own little multi-issue series?

4. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

They were all originally multi issue miniseries, but thanks to modern comic practices, each of the arcs are collected in trade paperback form some time after each miniseries ends. Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation (as well as the Megatron: Origins miniseries and the first few spotlights.) are already available in TPB form, and though Devastation has already ended, the TPB isn't out yet, so you'll have to wait for that.

The premium hardcover collects Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation and the first 5 spotlights. You might be able to find it at your local book/comic store. Here's the Amazon entry just in case: http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Premiere-1-HC/dp/1600101186/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_1

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    First off, welcome to the club! I've loved IDW's comics since the beginning, always glad to see someone else coming on board.

To answer your question, yes, Devastation has been finished for a few months now. If you have a large (I mean LARGE) comic shop nearby, I can't imagine the hardcover being too hard to find-- otherwise, your best bet is online.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. I guess I could best describe them as miniature "Seasons" of a TV show-- they all very much build on the previous miniseries, but they all sorta, kinda "end" at the end of 6 issues as well as set up the next arc a little. I would say Stormbringer's considerably more self-contained than the others, though, in that you can transition from Infiltration to Escalation pretty easily without reading Stormbringer, though Stormbringer's repercussions really do start coming into play down the road in some of the Spotlight issues.

6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Infiltration is very good, Escalation is a good follow up. Escalation has a lot of tension heating up between the Autobots and Decepticons, especially now that Megatron has come back to power. The battle between Prime and Megatron is great.

I'm actually holding out for a manga sized b/w format, like with Infiltration. Is Escalation going that route? I loved buying Infiltration for $10. It just makes sense too, since Su is highly influenced by manga.

7. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

The whole Infiltration/Escal.....etc. are really good. I highly recommend them. Also the original Dreamwave has G1 series Volume 1 and 2 in TPB that are "ok". They aren't amazing but still a worthwhile read. Spotlights has a volume 2 out as well depending on whether or not you got the first one or both. An excellent series is War Within which really details the life of Cybertron before the war on Earth. The TPBs on those shouldn't be too hard to get either. Let me know if you need any help.

8. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I highly recommend the trades. I just recently picked up most of them from Amazon.ca, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them (although Spotlight Volume 1 was backordered for me). Cost-wise, they are better than what I was finding in the comic shops. I wish I had know about the hardcover before, as that sounds like a good way to go if you are just starting out.