So I got in a 6 car wreck today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GigatronSama, Dec 1, 2006.

1. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Wow...as if life didn't have enough drama.

I had gotten up early to head to EB before class in order to pick up a Wii which was suposed to arrive today. Unfortunately the shipment didn't arrive so I was left dissapointed. I had a plate of chinese food (delicious) and headed for class.

Unfortunately while stopping two red lihts away I see in my rearview mirror a white mazda spinning my way. With a resounding FUCK! It slammed into my rear and sent me careening forward slamming into the car in front of me.

At this point I'm ready to throw down. I shake off the surprise and step out of my car. "What the hell?" I said as I look behind me and realize there are three more cars in addition involved.

Vinnie beats someone's ass into the ground mode deactivates and I go into, only level headed guy in the group crisis handling mode.

The guy in front of me looks confused but okay as he gets out. We check the car that spun into the back of me. The girl inside is a bit confused and says her neck hurts. I advise her to stay seated (later though she'd get up, and probably shouldn't have) I notice my car in spite of being sandwiched between two others looks totally unscathed. At least one bit of stress off my shoulders I head for the much uglier mess behind. One car is sideways against a van with its passenger's side and a smaller car with its front.

I check the sideways and badly damaged car first as someone whom was nearby and had pulled over to assist also comes by. She tells me she's a RN (registered Nurse) Good news. I tell the woman in the now sideways car not to move and cut her car off. She says her back is really hurting. RN lady calls 911 and has an ambulance on the way.

The people in the van seem A okay thankfully. Lastly there is a lady in the smaller car I mentioned whom we're not sure about since she hasn't gotten out and seems to be totally in shock. RN fetches her a blanket.

After the injuries are assessed (I'm as unharmed as my car it seems. I supose I was lucky in that account), I begin asessing the damage tot he cars while RN and guy in front of me help guide traffic around.

My car and the one in front are fine. We got pushed around a bit but we're unharmed. Girl in front has a smashed in bumper. The van is fine but the other cars involved are looking not so good. I advise no one to move as it'll be best if the cars are in their original position when the police arrive.

Some time later (traffic slowed the ambulance) help arrives. I greet the EMTs and give them a heads up on who's hurt and how badly. Girl behind me has gotten out of her car and moved around against my advice. She says she's only hurt a little but I inform her that neck injuries often don't start hurting until hours or even days later, and she agrees to go with the EMTs. Thankfully the other two injuries are less resistant to leaving...actually in not much shape to leave without a stretcher. (I do hope they'll be alright).

This leaves myself, the guy in front of me, RN, and the inhabbitants of the van.

While waiting for police we try to get our stories straight. From the RN who'd been able to see the accident without being involved we gather there was a 7th vehicle which had rear ended the first car (with the back injury) and started the whole thing, which then drove off. All we got is that it's a white truck. (Be on the lookout for a large white truck with front fender damage in the hattiesburg area)

After we give our collective reports to the police I and the two others with undamaged vehicles are clear to leave. I take a moment to pull out of the road and then make sure I see both ambulances leave before going on my way.

Glory be I still have enough time to make it to class. ......class is cancelled.

The Hell?

I get the feeling that mabey I was meant to be there. Being involved other than a bit of lost time was not detrimental to me, physically or financially and had I not been perhapse not everyone would have gotten medical attention who needed it.

2. Cerebros

Cerebros TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Glad to hear you're ok man. Crazy story!

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Sure sounds like you were put there for a reason. Good work on helping the rest of the folk get taken care of and levelheaded.

4. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Glad you're okay. I got rear-ended a couple weeks ago sitting at red light as well by a lady at the end of my street. Got around $350 worth of damage (All paintwork) her insurance has to fix. Good thing I've got an explorer and she had a hyundai.

5. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Synchronicity perhaps, but im glad your ok.. Crazy day for you.

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hit and run drivers are cowards.

7. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Glad to hear you're okay.

In 1998, one month after buying a brand new Camaro, I was the middle car in a five car wreck on highway 280 (northbound near De Anza Blvd) during the morning commute. One of those quick stop deals with a chain reaction. I had a bit of a sore neck for a week but was otherwise unhurt.

The accident left my car 1/2 inch shorter on the right and 1/4 inch shorter on the left. The cost for repairs was $8k (100% paid by insurance I might add).
    It was estimated that the car that hit me was travelling at roughly 60mph (I was dead stopped). The guy that caused the accident, who hit the car behind me, was going approximately 65mph and didn't brake whatsoever.

Eventually, our five cars wound up on the side of the road along with four police cars and three tow trucks. The rubberneckers watching all of this caused another three car wreck...what is that, a total of 15 vehicles on the side of the road? Since no one was seriously hurt, it's pretty funny in retrospect.

We also had the distinction of backing up most every freeway in the area for hours. Highways 17, 85, and 280 (both directions).

8. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't been in a wreck like this- but it's kinda neat to hear a first-hand account of one. I witnessed one once, though, in my rear view mirror where some guy careened onto the highway, hit the wall, spun around, and took out a couple other cars. Dunno if anyone was hurt, and it would have ben too difficult to stop and go back. Glad you're all right, man.

-Tony!

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Very glad you're okay.

At first I read the topic as "So I got in 6 car wrecks today". Would've been a much stranger story. Sounds like the one you were in was bad enough.

10. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    It's good to hear that you are okay. A friendly piece of advice though, go to a body shop and have your car looked at. I may look fine, but you may be surprised. There can be a lot of underlying damage, but look fine on the surface. Been there and done that, then it came outta my pocket insead of insurance. Good luck, and you have my simpathy, fellow wii hunter.

11. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I find it amazing that your car escaped undamaged! No scratches or dents at all!!?

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Glad you're allright and nice job with the situation.

13. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I haven't been involved in an accident, but I too have had several close calls.

The first one being in Marshfield, WI. I suicidal Truck Driver was running from about 20 police cars and decided it would be great to go through a city of 20,000 right on the main drag.

I happened to be sitting at a red light when I saw the bastard turn on and start charging from behind.

Damn cross traffic was in my way, I was on the inside lane and there were cars to my right and behind. To put it nicely, I was fucked. But then the cross traffic light turned yellow. I floored it, risking the chance that some idiot may try to make it in the effort to avoid being rear-ended by a maniac 18-wheeler.

I made it safely and a couple hours later, police shot the bastards radiator out and he gave up. Turns out, he was initially wanted for child molestation in Eau Claire, WI and the chase started with a hit and run in Medford, WI.

My other close call was on my way home from work last winter. I seen an officer with their lights on on the side of the road up ahead. It snowed heavily, and I was driving very slowly as I figured an accident was up ahead.

As it turned out, the accident happened about an hour earlier, and the Dane County Deputy was getting the last witness statements.

As I was approaching, I could see a car coming around the bend in the road from the other direction. I knew that it wouldn't be safe to try to pass the cop car, and 2 civilian cars at the same time as the oncoming car.

So I slowed down to almost a dead stop. As I waited, the oncoming car lost control. It came all the way across to the shoulder on my side where the officer was and struck the officer.

The officer went flying through the air and landed by hitting her head on the front end of her squad car.

After the hit, the car started curving around back to the other side and finally came to a rest in the opposite ditch. So he basically made a giant backwards c in the snow.

I immediately pulled over, checked the officer, she was bleeding from her face and laying on the ground, face down. I asked the officer if she was conscience, she replied. I asked if we should put her into one of the cars and get her to the hospital, or wait for EMT's (I knew it would be a while if we waited). The officer did not want to move, so I crawled under her car to retrieve her radio.

She radioed dispatch while I had 911 on my cell phone. I retrieved the blankets from my trunk and placed them over the officer to keep her warm while we waited.

The guy that hit her was Hispanic, and did not speak English, so I could not understand him, nor could the other officers that showed up.

After the EMT's showed up (about 1/2 hour later), I was questioned, then sent on my merry way. Never heard anything else further about what happened that night either.

14. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Since you guys are all okay, I gotta ask...

.. .anyone have a sudden urge to play a Burnout game?