So I found out what a shitty boss I have

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predaking, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I got this job for 7 months. Was hired as a Operations assistant but due to my background in sales I was asked to take over the Sales position from a coworker who quit just a month after I was hired. So now I have 2 jobs (boss refused to hire someone to take over my Operations duties) and I was pretty busy. It's ok since I don't like to be idle at work. But after my probation period ended my salary was adjusted and suddenly, I was asked to work 1 extra hour (from 8-6) without extra pay.

I was fine with it cuz I didn't want to lose my job over it, but one of the Operations people soon decided to leave and my boss wanted me to take over her duties which include some troubleshooting with servers, making weekly sales report, and finding perspective customer's email for our mass email system. Right now I am finding very little time to do everything and having work 1 hour longer than everybody really irritates me. I think I've been too soft and not letting the boss know that I am reaching my limit in the amount of work I have but every time I raised to issue with him he brushed me off quick.

So I finally requested a private meeting with my boss and expressed to him how I would like my workhour to be reduced to that of my coworkers (who have only one job as opposed to my 3) and he flat out told me either I accept my current job or quit. I was stunned since he's always pretty cool with me, frequently joking with me and even getting the same club membership as me and wanted me to go work out with him. He just said how others perceive that I was his favorite employee and that I was not treated unfairly by him. I was not convinced to say the least but since his mind was made up I decided to cut the meeting short and went back to my work.

I think it's time for me to leave. Yeah 7 months is bit short to stay at a job but since the boss is being a dick nothing I can do about it. I am guessing he probably anticipates me leaving soon so I don't want one day he tells me that I can go home that day and fires me on the spot.

2. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    goto HR if you have one! Thats will stop that BS right away. If you dont have a HR go to his boss.

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    How many days a week do you work? And are you happy with the money you are making?

4. Predaking

5 days a week for total of 50 hours/week (no OT pay). And no HR person to go to. It's a medium size company and boss and boss lady do majority of the HR stuff. Basically it's either going to the boss or forget about it.

As for the money it's ok average. I can find a lot of jobs with this type of salary but don't require me to wear this many hats. I like the commute and I like most of my coworkers so it's the only reason I am staying at this point.

5. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation not too long ago. I only worked part time hours and wanted to move up to full time or I'd have to find a new job and I told my boss as much. So she calls me one day offering a transfer with my working hours increased but they couldn't give me a full time contract as technically no full time contracts where available (bullshit). I asked how I stood as far as holiday and other entitlements went and was told that I'd get what my part time contract entitled me to.
    So I'd be working full time like everyone else and only getting part time benefits, I told her I wasn't willing to do that and basically got told tough shit the paper work was done for my transfer and I was moving anyway. I just informed her that I would be moving at part time hours because they couldn't force me to do extra hours.
    After that I wrote a letter that detailed in an intelligent and reasonable manner why I was so pissed off with her and the company and stuck in a pile of shit about how she was damaging the image of the company. I hand delivered it to her and a copy to her boss.
    The result? I was offered a full time contract the minute I stepped through the door after transferring.
    So, write them a letter. Employers seem to take things more seriously when you put in writing.

6. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

Time to look for another job. The fact that two other people quit while you were there less then a year tell me that you're in an unfavorable working condition.

7. Predaking

I like your suggestion but it's a family own business, with no one higher up than my boss. Yeah I got managers who critique my work and give weekly performance about me but they can't do a thing about this. I am probably complain to the boss lady but she'd probably side with her husband and make me look worse.

Actually around 7-8 people quit while I was there, and several more fired by the boss. The turnover rate is surprising high for this type of company imo.

8. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Yeah, it guess it come down to if the money is worth it.

I currently work 8-6 monday through friday and 8-4 on saturday, only sunday off. I wish I had 2 days off BUT I make good money since I have a bonus plan that I do really well with. We can afford for my wife to stay home with the kids, pay or bills and groceries and still have money to save or blow on crap we don't REALLY need.

If you really think it is not a temporary situation(the overload of work) and that you will be able to find comperable pay with less BS than maybe you should explore your options.

Another thing to consider is if the extra duties are something that will be beneficial to your experiance and resume down the road. I am putting my time in now so that when my wife goes back to work I can use my experiance to find a job with less hours and a good salary.

9. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

How does employment law work there? I presume your contract is for Operations Assistant so can they actually legally force you to do these other jobs without compensating you? If you've got anything like citizens advice in the states I'd go check it out.

10. Predaking

I do believe no employee can work over 9 hours a day without OT pay (have to look it up). Hell we don't even use the break time we are entitled to per state (10 min break every 2 hours) cuz the boss don't encourage it.

I am already resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to look for a new job if I want the standard work hour and work load. I just have to start looking soon cuz I don't want to work there any longer than I have to.

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love reading a thread like this where you've already come to the right conclusion, instead of having to have a dozen posters say it only to be ignored :D 

Seriously, I think you're making the absolutely right decision. Unless things were virtually guaranteed to change in the future, didn't sound like there was any good reason to stay.

12. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Start looking for another job and let your boss know that you're on the look out for a better job.

13. optimuslives

optimuslives Banned

speaking from experience, I would definitely start finding other work NOW. It's only a matter of time before he tries to run you out of there or just gets rid of you. I worked for a family owned business for a while and busted my ass to help them be the best they could, doing a ton of IT work and customer service work for them that they should have had 3 or 4 people doing. Told them I was getting burned out, told me to take a day or two off, then put me on probation for not showing up those two days! I interviewed for jobs the next week, put in my two weeks when I had an offer and they were jerks to me the rest of the time. The business went under about a year later, so at least I had that going for me :)  But in all seriousness, get something ready and leave, it's only going to get worse.

14. optimuslives

optimuslives Banned

That's the absolute LAST thing he should do. If his boss knows he's looking for work, he is apt to fire him on the spot. I would wait til you have offers IN HAND, then say, I've got offers, and see how he reacts. Worst-case scenario, you move on to a better job, best-case scenario, he straightens up, but I would leave regardless if I were in your shoes.

15. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    QFT, no sense in telling your current boss anything until you have a new job in hand.

If you're doing the jobs of three people, then you should ask for better compinsation, Im not talking about club memberships, but extra money in your check. If your boss says no, do nothing and say nothing. Go back to work happily (even if you have to fake it), find a new job then tell your boss to stick the job where he has the most room.

Bottom line it sounds like he's trying to get the most out of you as he can and not pay you for it, other than throwing you the ocassional bone.

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    You can't get fired for looking for a new job.

He can make your life at work a living hell, but it looks like he is already doing that.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, depending on what state you live in, you can. If it has at-will employment laws, he can get fired for absolutely no reason at all, which is kinda the same thing.

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

You should kill him Fight Club style - the 'ol gasoline in the computer monitor trick.

DISCLAIMER:

That is what we call a JOKE. If he turns up dead or something
    bad happens I had nothing to do with it and I do not
    in actuality support murdering people.

19. optimuslives

optimuslives Banned

Absolutely, Nebraska (where I reside) is an at-will state, and unless you work for a corporation, home-grown businesses and companies love to use it quite frequently, meaning I can show up and get fired even if I'm the best employee in the company for no reason at all. It sucks, but that's the way the laws are written. All the more reason to make sure you have something in-hand before even bringing it up.

20. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bosses are all like that. One of them made me work the past weekend, calling me Saturday at home... they also made me work in the middle of my vacation. And I'm always getting emergency assignments, artwork to be done in like a day or two.

I'm tied to my current job because I have these bank loans to pay, but once I'm done I'm making my way back to Japan. My job here in brazil pays well, but it sucks the life out of me. I wish I could find a similar job somewhere else, but that's almost impossible here.

In your situation, I'd quit and find another job. Raising pressure at work is never a good thing.