So I feel like I'm losing interest in Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Master Blaster, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I don't think i'l be going through the i don't know if i'm losing interest in Transformers atleast until I become a adult, after finishing college/university and meet my dream woman.

Besides their's a lot to still get like the next waves of Generations,PCC wave 2, HFTD Tomahawk, Terradive, Hailstorm, BB Optimus Prime and HA Jazz. I'l always have something to get down the line. :) 

2. WTF2005

WTF2005 Chaos Commander

I think you're just disgruntled due to a lack of funds. I understand that completely. If you had a job and were able to pay off the things you needed to and had money for the things you want, you'd probably have a different mindset. And right now especially its crunch time, so you're going through all of your options.

I had to sell most of my AEC and some BW figures, among others. Sure I didn't make back what I would prefer but it was a great help nonetheless and I really didn't feel that attached to them. On the other hand, when I went to list my original BW Primal I almost broke down in tears. It was unbelievable (of course, I didn't list him after that!).

Overall, make sure you don't make any hasty decisions. If you know in your gut that you're going to want a few of them back someday, consider not selling those pieces. Really understand what you appreciate (like your Beast Wars figures) and work to let go of the rest. Your shelf space will thank you for it!

3. muffinhunter

muffinhunter Well-Known Member

It happens. I've gone through probably three different phases of collecting myself. Eventually, something just catches your eye again, or not. There definitely does seem to be a point where the current line one collects suddenly loses its luster in terms of engineering/sculpts/design/etc. Just burnout or something, I guess.

4. muffinhunter

muffinhunter Well-Known Member

I was buying everything from Animated, but that's because Animated was beautiful. :)  I didn't buy any movie toys the first time around, and only fairly recently started picking and choosing some RotF stuff. Basically, I just buy what looks cool. I'd also kind of like to own a single really nice figure of each major movie character, but not all of them have that quite yet (hoping TF3 will give us better versions of Sideswipe, Ironhide, Megatron, to name a few). So maybe just slowing down and only getting stuff that really interests you could help with the general apathy you're experiencing. Or not. There's something to be said for just taking a break for a while too.

5. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've seen this a few times. People get completely out of collecting then they realize they regret some of the things they have sold as they start collecting again.

I like the hunt too except when my area never gets a certain figure.

THis is good advice especially since a lot of people are trying to sell because they need funds. Only sell ones if you need the money otherwise wait until the economy is better.

I agree with this. How can you be done with collecting if you have a list of ones you are looking to pick up in the future? Maybe weed out your collections and sell parts when the time is right. Concentrating on the ones you love isnt a bad thing.

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's always good to see what everyone's perspective is on things like this, thanks guys :) 

I'm leaving for Uni again this weekend, so won't see my collection again til Christmas. I've decided to take some stuff back with me, like my extra stuff and my alternators, and finish selling them off. But I won't be accepting any less than what I want for them, because why should I.
    The rest of the stuff I don't "want" will go in a crate under my desk out the way, and maybe I'll bust them out next spring when the movie hype starts and think again about which ones I'd like to sell. Hopefully by then the market will have picked up again, and new fans in a buying frenzy can buy a piece of well-cared for transformer history.

I know deep down I could never sell my classics collection. I've put a lot into building that collection, buying the best representation of the season 1 and 2 characters, and in a way I'm happy that only a few are really left to be done. Once that set is complete, I'll admire them in their glass cabinets and think of all the silly plots the G1 cartoon had. And smile a boyish smile and be happy.

My season three and expanded universe stuff could go on forever, so that's really where my collection will head to next. Technobots, Wreckers, Throttlebots, Junkions, there's plenty for me to look forward to there.

One thing I want to do by Christmas this year is complete my Beast Wars collection. I'm still trying to figure out which is the best representation of Cheetor, what to do about Rhinox, and hunting down a henkei Dinobot. I've still got my first two Beast War figures (Rattrap and Optimal Optimus), and I love them both. Rattrap looks especially good now, now that i repainted his helmet in the show silver and gold, with his little KO pistol.

All I wish now is that it was easier to unload the figures I no longer want to keep. Not the ones I'm taking back to Hull, the ones actually worth something, but the ones that'll sit under my desk unused.

7. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Everyone runs into this problem. That happens with a lot of movie stuff. A lot of people dont want it after a while. I imagine a few have given them to thrift shops, etc, to benefit kids who may want them. You may just have to take a beating on what you get back and sell them cheap.

Patience and using the Junkion Exchange can probably help you get rid of even hard to sell stuff. You may only get half what you paid, or in a lot of cases less, but you should still be able to sell them off to customizers, fans, people who want to complete a collection, etc. Junkion exchange is really a nice place to wheel and deal.

8. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes ive collected several times, then felt like they were crap, total waste of money, taking up space, then sold everything away, just to buy them all back later on down the road for 2 - 3 times the price. Then the feeling comes back again. So then i sold most pieces away again, just to buy them back again a few years down the road for more again. So now im getting the feeling again, but im not selling this time. no way am i going to try to get everything again a few years from now.

9. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was quite lucky in that aspect. I felt nothing for the movie figures I sold off, so I was happy to sell 8 odd figures for £40. Saw nothing wrong with it. Helped that I bought a lot of them on clearance too.

But older stuff, like AEC stuff, that I paid full price for, and should be worth more than it currently seems to be, is terrible. The only figures seem to be worth anything is the combiners. (with good reason i guess, they are brilliant figures).

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why? Why should it be "worth more"? Everything in this (relatively young) hobby of action figure collecting says that the MAJORITY of toys manufactured/released since 1990 will DROP from RRP.

It is a delusion of some collectors STILL (despite the overwhelming evidence) that their toys "should" be worth more, simply from not being available at retail anymore. That doesn't make them any more desirable/better designed/more worthy. It just makes them old.

As to your point that "I won't take less than I want for them. Why should I?" - of course, there is no reason why you should take than you want, unless the desire to make SOME MONEY (even if not your ideal) outweighs any pride you have in what you "originally paid".
    (And I gotta say, some of your prices are what I consider above-market in any case. However, the lowball offer you quoted getting for Classic Megatron really was absurd).

Don't feel bad. You wanna know how many £12.99 VHS videos I purchased back in the day? Wanna know how much I can get them for now? That's life.

Just reread my post and it's remarkably grumpy - not really getting at you, MasterBlaster (would I? A fellow UKer?), but just at a general attitude that was hinted at in your post.

11. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Read the whole sentence. Not worth more than RRP, worth more than they currently seem to be. I see them struggling to sell for a quid. A QUID.

Above market? Care to point out an example? Most are being offered for less than half their RRP. Some are more pricey, yes, and that's because they're genuinely excellent figures.

But yeah, even if I was desperate for money I wouldn't undersell anything.

12. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Perhaps we need to form a "Baby, the love is gone" Transformers club.

hahahaha

13. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    good luck selling the superlink for anything..i sold a loose but complete superlink megazarak a few months ago on ebay auction started at 99 cents and it barely ekked out $19 plus shipping....i mailed it out to honor the deal...pissed me off to do so....all my superlink and japanese imported transformers are not getting sold now due to this...it is insane to spend what you do to import certain foreign transformers only to make a fraction back on them.

14. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's the exact kinda thing I'm on about!

How the hell of these lines, once worth just below their RRP in some cases, dropped so far that even the Takara release are worth sweet ef a!?

15. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The economy sucks. Plus from what i've noticed (especially with alternators) is that a lot of people have sold off their excess and even most of their collections and that has helped the demand go down a bit on them. The supply is pretty heavy at the moment.

With 50+ auctions on ebay during the weekends people are just finding what they want a lot easier and there are a lot of people that are selling items for a lot less than they were going for 2 years ago even. I still say wait as long as you can to sell or try thru the boards and be patient.

16. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aye, I'm currently selling my alternators through the boards at just above what I paid for them, which I'm happy with.

Rarely will I tread ebay as a seller. Not only do things go for less generally, but you also get shit on by ebay itself.

17. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    yeah the cherry on this shit sundae was...that was my spare...and i broke the remaining superlink megazarak i had 2 weeks later...his shoulder joint snapped in 1/2 when transforming him...so now i am on the hunt for a replacement superlink megazarak :(