So I feel like I'm losing interest in Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Master Blaster, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's weird, and sad. I've been collecting for the best part of ten years, have figures from Beast Wars to now, was about to hit 200 in my collection count....and then I've start losing interest.

I've start trying to sell off the majority of my collection now, even my alternators. Things I'd never thought I'd sell. But I just don't want em any more. Am I growing out of it? Possibly.
    I still read the comics, watch the shows...but for some reason I look at em now and think "I don't want you anymore"....

Anyone else feel like this recently? It's like, I was plotting my move to get hold of a complete FP Bruticus set, and suddenly, I think "that's too expensive, it's only toys and I cbf"....

And on another note, how hard is it to sell transformers lately! Everywhere I turn I get lowballed and told "I can buy it for less somewhere else". Why is it all of a sudden that transformers are worth eff all, and third party sets cost a small part of your soul?

I've got a complete set of Animated Autobots I want rid of, but there's no point trying to sell them for at least three more years since the best offer I'll probably get is $100 for the lot. Unicron Trilogy toys, that were once popular, now sit in a shipping crate unwanted by all in the corner of my room.

It's a sad sight to see. I just want to recover some of money and make space now, Transformers just aren't that beloved anymore.

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went through that a couple of years ago once the movie line got into the allspark phase. It picked up again though, toys that seem excellent can get surpassed, the alts for example, engineering has moved on so much since that line was out so the designs can seem dated by today's standards.

Reigning it in and only keeping figures that mean a lot to you is a good way of streamlining, I'd suggest keeping your top 10 so that if you ever change your mind and decide you want to keep some or get some back you'll still have your favourites.

I have noticed how little transformers seem to be going for these days, it was saddening to see a BT white Meister go for about £20 the other week, was planning on selling him but looks like I'll keep hold of him for now so i can get my money back off him.

if you've got an energon Barricade or sledge/bonecrusher in amongst the trilogy bits I'd be happy to make a deal. :lol 

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    The only Transformers that are worth decent money second hand these days are G1 figures, especially in good condition.

You won't make back what you originally paid for them in regards to newer figures. Not even close.

How about some examples of what you're wanting for the toys you have been trying to sell?

4. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sorta toying with the idea of keeping my classics stuff, and the six movie figures I have for now. Definitely keeping my six Beast Wars figures (at the moment, that's the only line I really feel love for. Definitely picking up Henkei Dinobot when I see him next and still hoping for a generations Rhinox).

But apart from those three and my MP Prime, I think I can let the rest go. I just don't care for them, and would rather have the space. It's a shame really, cos I spent three school years saving lunch money and pocket money to buy all my alternators, and now I'm selling em off about £25 a piece. But I don't need them if I'm keeping my classics.

Actually, I do have a Bonecrusher ;) 

5. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have a look in my sales thread mate, best example I can give you.

I don't mind haggling over prices with potential buyers (tis the British way!), but when I'm being offered $12 shipped for a classics Megatron I think things are getting a little silly.

I know I won't make close to what I originally paid for them, but with most I should be able to recover just about half. It's not like I've shat on the things. Most come with their boxes, and I do take the time to reseal most for the person I've sold them to.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm in a slight funk at the moment. I have no real interest in Wave 2 and 3 of Generations, HFTD, or PCC. That will probably change though in a month. dunno.

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess there are quite a few people feeling the same as you, since I often see "getting out of hobby/letting go of everything" thread titles in Junkion. My own interest comes and goes, but I normally have at least one TF I can look forward to (Wingblade OP now) so I guess I'll stick around a bit more.

As for the selling, it is always harder for non-US members because we originally pay more on retail, then the shipping is expensive as well. I don't try to sell mass retail TFs here, they go to local eBay; while I don't make any profit at all, at least I can move them. Good luck with your sale :) 

8. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    It's all supply and demand... and the fact that the jobless rate (at least in the States) is at an all time high. Transformers are only actually worth what people are willing/able to pay for them.

9. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I imagine when I come back at Christmas I'll throw up lots of them on ebay, just to save the effort of selling individually.

Maybe I'm just feeling disconnected cos my bank balance is bad. I originally wanted to pay off my overdraft this summer, but now it's minus £700 again. I pretty much gave up my summer to pay it off, but then I had to spend a grand on rent and credit cards, and I really needed new clothes.

I didn't even buy any tfs or games with the money I made, just necessities. I wouldn't be in this situation if Student Finance were fair-- I get bare minimum grant and loan, while my brother gets the maximum. And student finance say that's right.

Fuckers.

I'm looking forward to little in generations. I'll get Blurr, Red Alert, Jazz, Perceptor, Grapple, Tracks and Kup (when they announce him), but after that I think I'm probably done with transformers as a whole.

10. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

I guess when it comes down to it slimming the collection to those that do interest you in the end reaffirms your interest in the hobby. I know getting rid of anything that didn't genuinely impress me or make me feel nostalgic went miles towards keeping me in the hobby. Now if only I could go back in time and salvage some of those "Don't need them" moments. Or at the very least have been a little more gentle with my Wheeljack. Who knew?

11. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm looking back to the last couple of years and thinking "why the hell did I buy that?". I wish I hadn't started buying animated, or the majority of the unicron trilogy, or robots in disguise, or indeed most of the movie toys.

It feels like I bought them because they were transformers, no other reason. Not because I liked the character, or thought they'd be cherished for years. It feels like I was just being stupid.

12. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I sold pretty much all of my 800+ TFs a few years ago for the same reasons you posted. Plus, I got married and my wife got pregnant.

Life priorities too a 180 degree turn and TFs were the last of my worries. Fast forward a few years later, our little one goes to daycare, my wife and I both have great jobs, we've got a house, etc. Lo and behold, my interest for TF toys has been rekindled and I am slowly rebuilding a new collection. It's only now that I regret selling my complete BT collection, my complete TFC bookstyle collection, etc.

But in the end, do what makes you feel happy. If selling them now makes you feel good, then do it. I know I enjoy the hunt of finding what I used to have and it's part of what makes collecting fun.

13. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    The only interest I seem to be losing as of late is the "thrill of the hunt". I have been getting ever so upset of going to stores within a 20 mile radius and finding nothing. I have been considering just buying new waves online, because damnit, if I am gonna spend $40 in gas, I may as well spend the $10-20 in shipping and save the grief!

14. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

I'm having 5the same thing my new obsession are the Halo Mega Bloks, they remind me of my Tyco Super Blocks and old Legos.

I don't even light up at the Transformers anymore, I have only seen the wave 2 5 packs once, and the wave 2 singles once.

I was turned off by the Rallybots and had no interest in the Deconstructicons.

15. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I don't understand why a lot of people here do that. It just seems like a majority people are interested in owning something because it's heavily hyped or someone else owns it.

I just buy what I like. I don't like the Unicron Trilogy so I don't own any Unicron Trilogy figures. I didn't like a majority of the first movie's figures, so I only own three.

Even if I like the characters, I'm not going to buy their figures just because it's Optimus or Megatron. I have no interest in owning Optimus or Megatron figures, that suck, just for the sake of owning more Optimus and Megatron figures.

16. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    an interest can have a shelf like like anything else and to be honest its probably healthier to not have a big collection, a few pieces that you can just enjoy is still fun.

as for prices, pretty much everything since beast wars has been bought up by collectors and to some degree cherished and kept all minty so they are simply not as rare and thus valuable as those battered g1 toys aside from occasional toys that become sought after through small runs (show/shop exclusives) or after market products making them desirable (classics ultra magnus with the fan project armor).
    classics/universe toys seem to have held interest, as there arent that many of them, few repaints (seeker excepted) and overall nice moulds with G1 homage, you can ofyen get more than retail for them, i bet the movie toys in the next few years become unsellable in the main, there are so many versions of each character and multiple repaints that they are going to become the spawn toys of the TF world....maybe, the supereme devastator seems quite sought after funnily enough! then again, 1 run, and only a short time on shelves.

17. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ive got to the point where i dont even care if i cant find a given figure, i did find animated rodimus after a 'tip off' but i simply waithed months and only got arcee 2 weeks back by sheer luck that somebody had brought one back into a TRU, ive never been a drive and hunt type generally though. in terms of what i buy, i only buy what i like, i know peopel who will buy up pretty much every toy in teh line only becasue its a transformer by name, i find that insane, even if it looks like crap, ive heard, 'oh its pretty ugly so i'll only buy 2 of these' WTF!!

TF's are no longer the nice blocky bots i like so im hunting down old power ranger megazords instead, i find them a lot more fun than any of hasbros current mainline offereings (thrust, ani rodimus, MP grimmers and piranacon of recent are really nice though)

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I've sold off my Animated and Alternator lines. I've also sold off duplicates I've had in my closet for the last 2 years.

19. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

When did you start collecting? How old were you?

For me, I was born in 1984 and have literally collected my entire life. I will be a lifelong fan of the original series and characters. The engineering as things improves keeps me interested, but once I get a "complete" collection of G1 characters (g1, classics, custom, stand-in) I will be mostly "done".

Some people buy them to buy them, others convince themselves they want something just to get something new, but I'm not the same. It may never happen that I am 100% happy with my representation of each character, but as I get closer and closer i get more excited. Even if it means I stop buying transformers... I will only be stopping because I have reached exactly what I want. Also then I will still pay attention to the engineering and keep my ears out for really cool new additions.

That said, new shows and lines are very uninteresting to me, which is handy because it prevents me from spending!

20. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have been selling most of my G1 originals and reissues. They have been selling for decent prices. I cannot believe some of the cheap prices Alternators/Binaltechs have been going for. Masterpiece and Alts are my favorite TFs so I have picked up a few very nice customs for dirt cheap. I guess with the economy down a lot of people just do not have the extra cash to spend on TFs so demand is falling.