So I Bought my first Mac Computer

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by soundwaveCA, Jul 1, 2010.

1. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Old PC died and to replace it I decided to make the jump over to Mac with the new 2.4GhZ Mac Mini (upgraded to 4GB of RAM from 2). Was looking at a Macbook as well but considering I already have an iPad I figured I did not need a full fledged laptop and really only needed something to use as a base station for all my music and video files. Big draw with the Mac Mini was not only did it already work with my existing 24" LCD HD monitor I bought earlier this year but it has an HDMI port so I can hook it up to the home theater to more comfortably view my streaming video and video I've downloaded. On top of that it's also pretty much dead quiet and does not sound like a turbo jet engine.

So far I'm pretty happy making the switch over, not that I hate Microsoft or Windows but considering how much cool stuff Apple has made over the past couple of years I'll probably be sticking with them at least for the foreseeable future :D 

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That's a shame.

Kidding. I don't know thing 1 about macs. Don't have any vendetta against 'em either, since don't know enough. Hope you enjoy yours.

3. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Im typing on my new one to :D 

4. Bilbo Boxhead

Bilbo Boxhead Geewunners GTFO

I got my first mac several weeks ago and I love it. I'm Glad I didn't get a new pc.

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hate Apple computers. Love everything else Apple makes. The iPad is great. I got one last Friday and have been using it ever since.

6. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I went Apple with a Macbook in september. I absolutely love it.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Not sure why anyone would do such a thing, but congrats anyway.

<-- has no desire to get near an Apple computer ever.

8. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Currently using my 27 inch iMac. Gives me soft boners.

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Welcome to the club.

Every computer I've ever used at home has been a Mac. Coming up on 20 years of being a die-hard Mac user.

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Very nice. I used to hate on Apple computers and everything but I somehow ended up getting a Mac, and I must say that OSX is just plain nice. Congrats on your buy!

11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Big fan myself. But then I teach art and animation, so having a Mac is practically required. Currently typing this on my Mac Book Pro.

12. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Weird. I'm the exact opposite. I've loved Apple computers, but particularly since they've moved into the phone business, I've liked them less and less. (Admittedly irrational, I have a general distaste for the iPhone and hold a more specific loathing for AT&T.) Apple was always driven in some part by image, but with the increasingly restricted nature of their products (like the crippled iPad) and the loss of focus for their traditional offerings, I've started to contemplate the move to a Microsoft OS for the first time in well over a decade.

I still love my Macbook Pro, but it doesn't feel the same as it did with my last Powerbook. (I realize this seems to fall into the fallacy that "everything used to be better", but the focus on the much more profitable expansion of the sale of content rather than producing rock-solid hardware is something to which I'm not very fond.)

Enjoy, it, though. The Mini is one of their products which has always seemed a bit underrated as it has a great design and is very versatile. I have an old version that I use for streaming videos and music to both an Xbox and PS3 that actually moved me to permanently cancel my cable television subscription. I would also suggest looking into Apple Care. I typically shy away from extended warranties, but I've bought it for my last few Apple laptops and it has always been useful. Unless they've changed things recently, you have until the end of the year to buy the extended warranty. You can also buy from eBay (which is what I've always done) and find it significantly cheaper than purchasing directly from Apple.

13. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Congratulations!! I'm typing on my Macbook Pro right now. Glad you could make the switch. The only down side is the premium you pay but these Machines will last and hold their value for along time.

14. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Made the switch myself about 2-3 years ago. Never once had an issue with my IMAC!

15. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I made the switch myself back in OCtober, and I haven't regretted it myself.

Well, it makes since for my to switch to a Mac anyway, both my sister and her boyfriend works at an Apple Store, so if I ever need it fixed, then I have connections.

16. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Congrats dude! Loved it when I switched over about a decade ago. Just saving up for my new Macbook Pro cause my Powerbook is on its last legs.

17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    kool im all about apple products.

18. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Sometime by Christmas, I may feel like getting a Mac. I might as well ask to anyone who owns a Mac some questions before I get one:

1a. Is there a Mac version of Halo 1 out there? If so, can it be played online?

1b. There's a Halo Custom Edition floating around out there if I recall correctly. Does that work on Mac as well?

2. I own quite a few videos that require codec or DivX to play. Would I have to download them on a Mac? Or am I in the clear?

3. Can AIM work on Mac? I have a few friends that I chat with a bit on it.

19. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    This is the only thing that I can answer: Yes, AIM can work on Mac. You can synch up your AIM account to an already installed application called iChat.

20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    With the Parallels or vmwarefusion program, you can just transfer many of you old pc programs os and so on to a virtual space on on your mac and you will get the best of both worlds. And if your old pc crashes, it only crashes the virtual space and can easily be restarted.