So I bought my first ever Animated figure today...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dinobot747, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Let me start off by saying, this is NOT a review.

As some of you may know or just heard me say it on the boards, I hate Transformers: Animated. I just can not stand the aesthetic. Well, today, while I was visiting TJ Maxx, I found an Animated Voyager Shockwave for $10. Now, normally, if I saw an Animated figure on the shelf, I would toss it aside looking for movie or Generations stuff. But this guy had been there a while, and it was, well, Shockwave, so I thought "Ah, what the heck. I'll just get him to see how I like him."

And now that he's out of the box and been transformed a couple times, I've got to say, not bad. The only things I have problems with are that his legs don't peg in in vehicle mode and neither do those leg panels that pop off all the time, that his head is quite visible in vehicle mode, and in Longarm mode, his legs are kinda...weird, for a lack of a better word. Too many joints between the hip and knee (thankfully, this is fixed in Shockwave mode by locking them with that small leg piece). Overall, a neat figure (never thought I'd say that about an Animated figure). Now, will this mean I will wholeheartedly accept the aesthetic and collect every figure from the line and get really into the show? No. I still don't like the look of them in general, and I don't really think that thought could be changed. But maybe, just maybe, this could serve to me as a stepping stone into the line (though I doubt it).

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    in case you missed it (it's really easy to miss) he's got a joint in his chest for shockwave mode, that lets him hunch forward a little bit. Just enough to give his body a bit more unique shape.

3. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Thanks, I just found it. Wow, I definitely would have missed that!

4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Shockwave is a fantastic figure and really goes to show how done the line really was. Sure there was sacrifices, sure the various alt and robot modes had weird kibble and issues with empty holes and stuff...but the engineering that went into many of the figs can't be ignored. Soundwave, Shockwave, Blurr, Swindle all come to mind when I think bout AWESOME Animated figures.

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I was kinda leaning toward Swindle if I got an additional TFA figure. He looks pretty cool. Also, on a side note, I really wish I could have found the (Target exclusive, I think?) G1 colors TFA Shockwave.

6. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

First i love Shockwave from TFA but he has his flaws to allow for the 4 mode gimmick.

Now as for Swindle he is one of my favorite TFA toys. He has two good modes his cannon is awesome fun to transform and the head sculpt. I love this toys head sculpt. Really screen accurate and the big purple eyes are awesomely light piped. Cannot go wrong with him.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually don't like Animated Shockwave that much. The only mode I actually like is his Decepticon robot mode. Everything else feels mediocre.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Are you lowering the lower torso struts that the legs peg into?

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Get Prowl. You will not regret it.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    For the toys people suggested-

Animated Swindle's arms like to break off. the clear plastic that the shoulder ball joint goes into is really weak, so be careful if you get him. Most of Swindle's charm comes from his outstanding character in the show. The toy alone has issues. Aside from the easily broken shoulders, he also has a hard time standing because his feet are wheels laying flat on their sides. so his heels spin, making it hard for them to support any weight. Other than that, he's a good figure. Just has to be propped up against something, or posed carefully.

Prowl is an engineering marvel. The best bike transformer to this day. genius transformation, and there's absolutely zero kibble. Get him, or his Samurai armor version (samurai version just gets rid of two throwing stars stored on his legs, and adds a sidecar that turns into armor).

Blurr is incredible. He's one of the TFA toys that pulls off the illusion of mass shifting. Both his modes are incredible, and it's hard to believe that the robot mode actually fits into the vehicle mode. Great dynamic sculpt, he looks badass just standing upright, unposed. The body lines on him are just great.

I'll also suggest Rodimus. Great posability, and another figure with very little kibble (just two tiny panels on his legs). His car mode is smaller than classics Rodimus, but his robot mode towers above it.

Prowl, Blurr, and Rodimus are three toys I think anyone can appreciate, no matter how they feel about Animated. They're extremely characterful sculpts with very streamlined silhouettes, and lots of fun to pose. They offer some of the best engineering the line had to offer.

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I have not had any of these issues with him. I will watch the arms at least so thanks for the heads up.

Prowl is good to i have the Samurai Prowl and i love it. Arcee is also a great animated figure.

12. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Well, that shockwave is a great first taste of the line. I passed on him for quite a while because I had heard that he had a lot of issues with being a quadformer. I finally picked him up and was blown away by how much better he was than expected. Even went and tracked down the purple version.

I hope you have find some more of the line that are good for you.

13. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it's a very cool figure. But the crowning achievement of the Animated line is definitely Rodimus IMO. He's fantastic. (I only have the clear version)

14. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I have many Animated toys. Leader Class Megatron is probably my favourite just for being so imposing, having good sound clips, nice assortment of weaponry, simple transformation that isn't too involved, and being Animated Megatron. Animated is a great line for engineering. I think my least favourite Animated toy I still have would be Activators BB, but that's a stretch because I really like him too. Don't buy Waspinator though. I had nothing but problems with him. Had to return him twice because of broken antennae and arms constantly popping off.

15. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have picked up a Takara Animated Shockwave and yeah, he's awsome and Animated has some really solid figures like Blurr that have astounding engineering.

16. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I'd agree with the sentiment that Prowl Rodimus and Blur are the real standouts of toyline.

Also really fond of Voyager Optimus, Jazz and Ratchet. Ratchet mostly because I like the character so much, but I think they are all really solid figures.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll just throw in that I wasn't a fan at all initially when I saw design work and such, but after time things really grew on me. I'm glad it did, as I've ended up really enjoying the toyline. Basically, it's just a different illustration style that I wasn't used to with "TRANSFORMERS".

18. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Blackout is awesome but may be hard to find. Worth buying though

19. CNCBrawl56

CNCBrawl56 TRU Commander

Ebay:
    ya, watch me miss that completely!

Although just doing that now to it, I am not sure if I like that.

20. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    This.

Shockwave has probably the finest lightpiping this side of Generations Thunderwing and Uni 2.0 Cyclonus.