So, I bought a car.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I bought a car to replace that Chevy Astro I blew up a while back, it's a metallic red 1995 Dodge Stratus, runs good, and the body/interior is in almost perfect shape.

I have had it for about 3 days and already like it quite a bit, the way it handles reminds me a lot of the neon I had years ago (except this car has a bit more power, it's the 2.4 liter DOHC with a 4-speed, as opposed to the 2.0 3 speed the neon was) - very tight steering, power everything (all of which still works).

It's looks like it's already had the head gasket replaced with the upgraded version that Chrysler put out a few years ago - so hopefully, this one will last me a while (my neon lasted me a good 7 years/ 200,000 miles - and I wasn't nice to it!)

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

How many miles does it have on it now? Also, how is the gas milage? I have a 1998 Cutlass LS and I'm thinking about ditching it. It's a great car but it has a few minor problems and the sucker eats gas like there's no tomorrow because for some reason 6 cylinders were standard on them rather than 4.

3. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

that's funny, my wife and i just got a new car yesterday too... we got a 2000 chevy malibu

4. Dark_Convoy

120,000 - but like I said, it looks like it has had some engine work, and my father-in-law (who is a mechanic) looked it over very throughly, and he even took it to another mechanic for a second opinion - and they both said everything looked to be in good shape.

I filled it up Thursday night, been driving it all over town and the needle has barely dropped below the full marker (Saturday).

I'm figuring it will do ok on gas being a 4-cylinder, definitely better than the van I was driving (which was a V-6) or the truck I was driving after that (5 liter V-8!!!!).

I know a lot of people like to bitch about Dodges, Neons and "cloud cars" in particular, but I have owned 3 of them (4 now) and they have always been decent cars, my wife still drives our '01 Caravan every day, I had that '96 neon for 7 years and had to do very little to it (brakes every now and then, a few blown hoses, small oil leak) and I had a '93 Caravan for 9 years that had been driven all over Kentucky and Tennessee, but didn't meet it's end until I wrecked it into the back of a truck at 40Mph...

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    So with 4 kids, which one rides on the luggage rack? I would imagine the most aerodynamic one...

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Or the oldest. Or the one with the best ability to hang on for dear life...

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    whats a Chevy Astro?! lol

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Where are the PICTORS!?!

I need a car.

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Congrats!

i bought a car once, but i took it back because i couldn't figure out how to get it to transform...:confused2 

10. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

The Chevy Astro was Chevrolet's answer to Dodge's Caravan and Ford's Aerostar back in the 80's and made until last year, however instead of being a "minivan", it was a mid-sized van. It had a body-on-frame construction and was available in RWD or AWD. I saw one recently with a metallic orange bottom half and a metallic black top half, with nice looking wheels...awesome looking. I normally don't say that about vans, but the one I saw looked sweet.

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Nothing beats an old cheap car. I posted pics last summer of the 1996 Chevy Beretta I bought. 13 months and 19,000 miles later, it still runs like a dream. Best part is, I only paid $1,050 for it at the auction. It's got a 4 cyl with a 5-speed and I get about 33 MPG from it.

Good score on the old car. Any chance we'll get to see any pics of it?

12. Dark_Convoy

As far as pics, remember I fried my camera when I got shocked while holding it :( 

I paid cash for the car so it might be a few weeks before I have the extra cash to buy a new camera.

:lol  We still have the '01 Caravan for that, this is going to be my "work and back" car.

13. anubis

anubis she who lurks in shadows

Through all the models of Dodge vehicles I've had, they all seem pretty good. It makes me remember when I got my Stratus three years ago. Still running good despite my typical driving.

14. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

Dodge/Chrysler are great cars. I owned at least two of them and was happy with them. I traded my Plymouth Caravelle for a Honda Civic almost two years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.