So I beat Lair this morning.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy mother of Primus!!!

One of the most epic battles I have partaken in a very very long time. Graphics were insane too with ground troops doing their things, boats blasting eachother and the walls, dragons from my team and the other shooting at boats and eachother, large AT-AT walker type beasts blasting the troops, waiting for me to take them out At-At style. The framerate took a major hit but was never unplayable, in fact, in a way it added to the madness. Overall I was very very pleased with this underated game, I'm going to play it again with the comentary.

I played the first level with developer comentary on and they were joking that Dragon games have a curse. Based on the crazy bad reviews this game has gotten, I'd say that they didn't avoid the curse. But I am not trading it in for Heavenly Sword today.. I want to get all gold medals on it and it's worth many more playthroughs.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

you know you've almost convinced me to give the game a go, at least rent it first.

i dunno about HS though. i feel its going to be quite dissapointing.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gamespot gave it an 8.0. Cant be that bad. As for Lair. Rent for sure. I don't want hate mail if you buy it and hate it. But I can't recommend enough... play the tutorial like your life depended on it. Go through every aspect of it. It's meant to teach you how to play with a control scheme that we're not used to.

I say this as a dumbass who rushed in thinking I was cool and would learn it on the way, and for a while I agreed with the 4.9 IGN gave the game. Now I play it like a pro...

Don't rely on the lock on tooooo much. It helps when trying to dislodge a ballista or take out a rhino, or knock the weapons off the AT-AT monsters. But for Dragon Fodder in the sky, the Dragon smart fires and hits the enemies so long as they are in your sites and close enough.

Lock on when you want to strafe something and not go head on (helps avoiding getting slammed by blasts from the launchers). If you go in for close combat and win, you get health back, as well by eating troops.

If your army looks like its losing, drop down and take some troops out, it not only makes your troops happy, but it actually afftects the overall team outcome. Things like AT ATs and Rhinos actually give you a major winning boost too.

Oh and hold your breath when fighting ships or big objects. That is, don't rapid fire, rather let the dragon breath for a second and just hit the button once. The larger fireballs do considerably more damage, and can take out ships in two hits.

4. smangerbot

i guess my hopes are high for HS, and as fun as the demo was there were faults that probably won't be ironed out. its hard to stomach when other games in the genre get it so right (god of war, dmc, ninja gaiden etc).

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll tell you what Smaggy. I will be picking it up tonight and playing it. Ask me anything you want on it and I will give you and honest non-bias opinion on it. Like for example, Lair can really get hit on the framerate. Like I said, it never makes it unplayable, but sometimes it can get really bad. So I'm not going to dress anything up like it's perfect.

6. smangerbot

cool, i'm tempted to get HS myself to be honest most reviews put it around 8/10.

i might pick it up tonight...

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know it's short, but I like the way Naruko fights and I love the different stances, not to mention the presentation of the game. Did you download those 5 mini-episode prequels? Reminded me of Samurai Jack.

8. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I will be picking it up tonight as well (HS).

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    From the PS store? I thought they were "making of" videos. Are they CGI from the game with background or something?

I enjoy the gameplay from the demo. Are the complaints about the length of the game? Because honestly to me, some games are too long that I don't get to finish them anymore. I am not 21 sitting around my house all day playing, I get very little time to play anymore. I already have Oblivion as my long term game I keep going back to.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No bro, they are actual animated prequels to the game, setting up the story to the game. There are five that have been released over the last 5 weeks in addition to the making-of. They use their own style of animation (not like the game cinematics), and are very similar to Samurai Jack in style. They are awesome, especially the last two where you find out about Naruko's birth.

That's funny, I still own Oblivion for the same reason, as my getting back to it whenever I just want to do something random in its huge world.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I am in the same boat with Oblivion.

When you beat Lair did you save Princess Daphne?
    Did you use the magic sword?

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, I pressed right instead of left and Dirk disentigrated. :D 

13. smangerbot

i've seen the first animation, i didn't realise there were more... btw, there's an addon pack for ninja gaiden out now, weapon master or summat.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I too recently beat the game. And holy epicly-epic battles Batman! Pretty awesome game. I give it a high recommendation with an asterisk about the motion control thing, which some people seem to have problems with.

Also about Lair: It looks like Sony is putting some of the soundtrack on PSN. Totally worth grabbing IMO. I loved the games soundtrack. It was like Star Wars mixed with Lord of the Rings mixed with Gladiator; it was so very awesome.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yea Gig, and it's kinda funny too because after beating it I thought "Damn I wish I could get this music on MP3 somehow" and there is was the very next day.

Sony also put up a "how to play Lair" Video up yesterday, lol.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Could you wish Smasher will win the Texas Lotto tonight?
    Kthxbye.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude! you're in Dallas? Awesome. A fellow Texas. I made the wish for the lotto thing, but my wishing doesn't extend as far as money.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    If I win, I'll thank you by taking you to the Waffle House.
    -promise!

19. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I agree about the music. When the title screen came up it was the first thing I noticed. I have enjoyed the game so far. I don't regret getting it one bit.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait until those last three battles.. DAAAAAAMN.