So.. I Attended A Tool Concert Tonight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by REDLINE, Jun 17, 2007.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    ...and it kicked my ass!!

There is only one sour note: the beer lines were horribly long!

The opening band was never revealed once, not until they took the stage. It turns out it was a band from Tokyo Japan, 'Melt Banana'. They were on the Heavy side, female singer, female bassist, male guitarist and drummer. The guitarist was extremely skilled, and the bassist wasn't bad. I thought it was weird that the guitarist wore a surgical mask the whole time he was there. The group had their settings outta-whack though, as you could just barely hear the vocalist over the instruments, and even then only when she was emphasising. As a result, it ended up feeling on the monotonous side, which is a shame as the rest of the band sounded pretty good. She was almost rapping to the strong guitar and bass riffs, and not in English either.

After a 45 minute performance, Tool made us wait for 20 minutes. The yells and chants started getting pretty loud when suddenly out go the lights. I must say they kicked a ton of ass. They had 7 screens, 4 medium screens across the back of the stage that were about 8 feet tall, two large screens, one to each side, and then a jumbo screen that was the wall behind stage. Vocalist came out to much applause, and said "hello, forgive me, but I have no idea where the fuck I am" :lol  He asked the drummer and then said, hello, Cape Girardeau! hahaha about an hour into their performance, they started up the laser show, and man was it wonderful. To get into the place everyone was frisked. First time I've seen that happen in Cape. No cameras allowed either, of course. I actually got caught once using my camera phone, a KRZR. Guy made me delete the picture, while he watched me do it. hahaha dumbass. I had 8 others already taken, and after that I took a couple with the phone closed. Here you go, the 8 that I kept. most of them are good quality, my phone has a 2.0 Mpxl camera with up to 8x zoom.

Enjoy!

If you notice, you can see Keenan's silhouette in front of the screen here:

[​IMG]

one of the larger side screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure why these next two are so small, I didnt' change the settings but one time, which you shouldnt' notice too much as those I actually had to shrink down. Odd...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Maynard is a mother fucking badass. Love him.

EDIT:

Went to an "A Perfect Circle" concert back in like 2000 (they played with NIN). During the last song of their set, the music stopped entirely, the lights went out, then the guitar kept playing and the spotlight came on Maynard as he ripped off his wig and they busted out the chorus of "Sober" by Tool.

Was a total mindfuck.

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

They put on a great show! I would like to see them again, but my head would probably explode, just too loud for me anymore. I saw them back in the day...maybe ozzfest...Maynard wore a bra and had white makeup on.

4. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I'm excited about his Puscifier project. Its going to be pretty sick. Timmy C and Brad wilk, Jonny Polonsky are on it.

5. REDLINE

News Credits:
    damn, that had to have rocked the house, Kicky!

6. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I saw Tool when they played a small (<3000 capacity) venue in Minneapolis in 2006. It was the week after 10,000 days came out and was the #1 album in the country. I remember being amazed that I was about to see one of the best bands in the world in a tiny venue on the week the week that they had a #1 album.

The show itself was pretty amazing. I'm sure it was somewhat stripped down from what they normally do, but it was still great. My only complaint was that MJK stood at the back of the stage in the dark for like 98% of the show. It is hard to complain though when the setlist includes great songs like:

Stinkfist
    The Pot
    Forty-six and two
    Schism
    Sober
    Lateralus
    Vicarious
    Aenema

and five other lesser-known songs that also rip.

7. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Redline,

Glad to know they rocked the house. Was it pretty packed? We're they touting it as sold out? I never heard much more about it.

Can't wait to see them on Friday at Scottrade. :) 

8. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Caught this show in Tucson about a month ago. Same complaint. The beer lines were way too long. Show was awesome though.

9. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Yeah, Tool usually puts on a good show. I saw them when they were on tour for Aenima in a pretty small club, then saw them again at Ozzfest in 98 and again when they were on the tour for Lateralus. My only complaint, and this applies to all their shows, is that they don't play for all that long. They played an average of 9 songs the times I saw them. Comparing this to another band I've seen a good number of times, Type O Negative, it just doesn't compare, as they usually play for almost twice as long with a setlist in the mid teens. A minor complaint, as Tool usually rocks the house anyway, but somewhat of an issue with me nonetheless.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Already know that was awesome. Did Danny Carey do a drum solo?
    Probably one of the best drummers that ever lived

11. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Dammit, I didn't know Tool was coming back to MO. One of my absolute favorite bands from the good ole days (and today) and one of the best concerts I have ever been to. Glad you had a good time REDLINE. They are always worth going to see imo.

12. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

QFT. If you're not listening too carefully, alot of times it seems like he's not doing anything special, but he just does so many crazy tempos and beats it hurts my brain just thinking about trying to play it myself. Granted, I'm not a drummer, but I know my fair share of drummers and they all agree that his stuff can be maddeningly hard to get right.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    They are awesome. incredible musicians, every one of them. The concert I saw five years ago could only be described as a "jedi mind f**k"

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It's true. The thing I love about Danny is his stuff sounds deceptively simple. The 3 against 4 bridge in Eulogy is the best example. His four way independence is great. He can also play odd time signatures and make it flow like it's not a compound meter.

15. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Tool blows my mind, one of the best bands touring/recording today. Never seen them live, tickets are always too expensive for my budget when they come to town.

16. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I've seen TOOL once, but that was after catching A Perfect Circle 3 times. It was an amazing show. He kinda faced away from the crowd the entire show, his back to us, never facing us once, even when he addressed the crowd. It's been the only concert so far where my ears were ringing and I had a hard time hearing for a few days after the show. But I got to crowd surf for the first time there too, and that was an amazing experience. I went with my brother, and he said they wouldn't play Sober, because it was to old..And that was the first song he did..Excellent show, I'd love to see them again, but never seem able to. I never even hear they're on tour locally or anything.

17. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh I can't wait till Friday!

18. REDLINE

News Credits:
    oh it was badassed. codimus, you and dan have a blast like I know you will! yes, there was a drum solo. fuck yeah. I used to be a drummer, I only used a 7piece set, and what he does shreds my brain.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

WHYYYYYYYYYY can't we, not be, sober?

20. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I was at that show! It was my fourth Tool show and really good. The beer lines under the stands in GA were short.