So, how was the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Lovecraft, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

Anyone who went to the 86 movie event, how was it?

I went to the showing at Colonie Center Mall, Colonie, NY, a town between Albany and Skiddy. There was a real healthy turnout. Not a full house but pretty damn close.

The trivia on screen was cool until they looped the questions. The posters were a classy touch, though. Wasn't expecting it but I wish they had gone with original art over the BluRay art. The BB preview has been covered in the Movie verse forum. I liked it but I think the pacing was a little odd. Probably just cause they trimmed it up.

The picture quality for the main event was fair. Of course even the new rendering would look grainy blown up so large, but I'm not positive they even used the new rendering. Maybe they did. It was definitely a little dull in spots but overall readable and it was still just breathtaking to see all those iconic sequences on the big screen for the first, and maybe only, time in my life.

Lots of kids in the crowd. Its amazing to think that some of those kids might have been seeing the movie for the first time ever right there. Envious.

The sound mix, in contrast to the picture, was just plain stellar. The balance was really nice. The music was ever present. Never too quiet or loud. The voices were really crisp. The natural undertones and subtleties of the performances cut through nicely and provided some heavy impact. I swear Unicron's voice went through me, Galvatron was real menacing, and Optimus Prime of course wasn't shorted any of the gravitas he's owed. The other sound effects, explosions, lasers, transformations, etc, were all well integrated. It felt like a war.

One thing between the sound and image that's best conveyed in a theatre setting is the fantastical scope and scale of the film. Unicron is HUGE.

All in all everyone there seemed to have one hell of a time. It was gratifying to see that even 32 years later this movie makes a splash.

I know I'm not the only one of us who went, so, how was your experience?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lovecraft

I am dishonored. I even mentioned the impact of different voices, but failed to mention the most heavy hitting voice of all: SOUNDWAVE.

Hearing that voice in HD surround sound was a joy like no other.

3. Megasquared

Megasquared I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now.

News Credits:
    Couple of things.

1. One of the pre-show questions (The Dinobots one) had an incorrect answer?
    2. The resolution on the film seemed to be 720p and occasionally seem to dip in quality. Would have be nice if it was remastered in at least 1080p.

4. TheCianinator

TheCianinator Active Member

I had a great time, but seeing the movie in theaters really highlighted its flaws for me. Some of the shots were out of focus, either due to bad film scanning, or maybe even bad original master cell photography. The sound was crisp and clear, but holy crap is the sound design in this movie just plain bad. The soundscape feels thin, like only a handful of things on screen that should be making sound actually are. And of course, the plot is nonsense. Like I said though, I had a great time. The Transformers: The Movie is a really bad movie, but it's the good kind of bad, the kind of bad where you can laugh at it for being bad but also genuinely appreciate the beautiful visuals and music. It's iconic.

Also, after the credits they had an interview and acoustic set with Stan Bush. That was a nice touch, although the interview was kinda laughable. Beautifully shot, but Stan ran into the very understandable problem of not having a whole lot to say about two songs that are intentionally very shallow. Also, he said that there's a spiritual aspect to The Touch, which made me laugh out loud. When they actually showed him playing the acoustic set, he was sitting in front of some wooden slats that were clearly a divider decoration in an office, and you could see people through the cracks standing behind the slats in the hall. It all felt bizarrely appropriate.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

It's actually Star Wars: A New Hope (with robots). Hot Rod is Luke, Unicron is the Death Star, and Arcee has Princess Leia buns for a reason.

• Like Like x 4
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Except whereas Star Wars actually had a coherent plot, TF:86 just comes across as nonsense trying to imitate that film without actually copying its structure or narrative besides the most basic. So the hero's journey doesn't feel earned, and the villain's defeat feels cheap.

• Like Like x 5
  7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

It was as great as I remembering it being every time I've watched it over the last 30+ years.

• Like Like x 4
  8. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

There’s a bits and pieces of Return of the Jedi in there as well. The Junkions are The Ewoks, The Quintessons invoke Jabba, the fight between Hot Rod and Galvatron visually draws from the second Luke/Vader duel.

9. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately there was no showing near Western, New York. However, I'll be putting The Transformers: The Movie on my Blu Ray later tonight.

10. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Anybody have a list of the questions?

Unfortunately I didn’t get to go see this

Do you remember that particular question or the wrong answer?

11. Megasquared

News Credits:
    It was something like which of the Dinobots are featured in the movie. I think some of the answers included non Dinobots but the "correct" answer was Grimlock, Swoop, Slag, Sludge and Snarl. But there's only four Dinobots in the movie.

The rest of the questions were things a Transformers fan would know like what is Starscream's squadron known as, some of the answers were Starscream's Brigade or The Ramjets and another question was who voiced Unicron?

12. Primeultra

thanks for answering quickly

But you’re actually incorrect on that all five were in the movie but Sludge was only in a few shots
    upload_2018-10-3_14-42-21.jpeg
    The Ramjets sound funny

Kind a like a disco group, I hope somebody can post the full list

• Like Like x 3
  13. Megasquared

News Credits:
    Snarl not Sludge.

I believe the question was featured in the movie not shows up for two seconds.

14. Primeultra

I meant Snarl, and it was more like 8 or 10 seconds

And the word featured is too vague a word

All five were still in the film,Either way thanks for answering again and if you can remember some of the other questions I would love it

• Like Like x 1
  15. Megasquared

News Credits:
    You sound like ones of those dorks that pushes up their glasses and in a their squeaky voice say "well actually it was more eight seconds". You're always hanging on my fuckin' word and your screenshots and diaphragms of Brawn's death and picking apart how long a character shows up on screen. You're so weird. Go away and leave me alone.

16. Primeultra

I was just cracking a joke, lighten up

Taking everything this seriously is going to shorten ur life

Btw, wasn’t my diagram, found it here on tfw.....I do wear glasses thou, lol

17. Lovecraft

My guy, did you just call someone out on being a nerd...on a website where grown adults congregate to obsess over kids toys?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Megasquared

News Credits:
    And cartoons.

It's uncanny.

19. AnnaLK

AnnaLK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never got the trivia questions or the poster with my screening (though Fathom Events is sending me one).
    It was awesome finally seeing this movie on the big screen, but the best part for me was showing my parents this movie for the first time Of course, they knew the basics of Transformers from the live-action movies, but I didnt really prepare them for how ridiculous this movie really is :lol 

Anyways, we all had a great time.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went to the AMC 30 in Orange, CA and it was fantastic. There weren't any issues besides me missing the first minute or two of the Bumblebee preview. The damn popcorn wasn't ready yet but thats alright, haha. It looked spectacular, also noticed the nuances/imperfections in the animation. It sounded like 2.0 and it was good for the most part, certain bits were scratchy but thats fine. This was my dad's introduction to Transformers, all he's seen are my figures. He didn't care for it but it was memorable. My mom loved it like always, happy when Optimus was rolling out to Megatron. She loves his truck mode.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018